Wonnangatta Couple from Drouin ??

LongRoad2Go

Thanks Peterfermtech, I stand corrected - the couple went missing in March 2020. According to Parks Victoria:

'Alpine National Park and Avon Wilderness Park: All deer may be hunted by stalking only in parts of the Alpine National Park and in the whole of the Avon Wilderness Park from 15 February to 15 December. The use of dogs to hunt Sambar Deer is not permitted in these parks. Hog Deer can only be hunted in these areas during April. Pest animals and other species must not be hunted in these parks.'

So, it seems the pilot was legally permitted to carry a firearm in that area at the time.

McGinnis

The intimation of the comment is noted however the assumptions don't necessarily fit the facts but an opinion often expressed by those who have little knowledge of firearms.

For the record I have a firearms licence.

Your comment and others below it assume from what I said that I’m anti-gun. I’m not. I’m anti-‘easy access for nut jobs’.

I want rigorous controls around attaining them and sensible limits to their use - which is what we have for the most part.

Triton14

Yeah, cause all those nations with easy access to weapons are such safe places.
Who said I was talking about using a firearm for self defence :rolleyes:
You!

A baseball bat is a potential weapon, so is a spanner!

I was just suggesting that once you need to defend yourself & harm is done to the bad guy then all of a sudden you become the focus of the legal system

How many people have been prosecuted for protecting themselves from people who don't respect you or the law!

As a suggestion don't presume or try to read between the lines, just what is written ;)

Last edited:

Albynsw

I was speaking with a friend who lives in Miami, he said he is the only person on his block that doesn’t have a firearm. He said they don’t just have a pistol but are armed like they are militia. There is not a day go by that there is not a firearm offence related headline in the news.
Doesn’t sound like a better system to me.

Kippie

I was speaking with a friend who lives in Miami, he said he is the only person on his block that doesn’t have a firearm. He said they don’t just have a pistol but are armed like they are militia. There is not a day go by that there is not a firearm offence related headline in the news.
I just looked up how many firearms per capita in the US. It's 120 firearms per 100 people! More firearms than people. Unbelievable. Number two on the list is Falkland, with half that number.

mikehzz

A friend was visiting someone in Texas and they decided to go into town for a meal. The lady got in the car to drive them and had to go back inside because she forgot her hand gun. She wouldn't go out without it.

McGinnis

Who said I was talking about using a firearm for self defence :rolleyes:
You!

A baseball bat is a potential weapon, so is a spanner!

I was just suggesting that once you need to defend yourself & harm is done to the bad guy then all of a sudden you become the focus of the legal system

How many people have been prosecuted for protecting themselves from people who don't respect you or the law!

As a suggestion don't presume or try to read between the lines, just what is written ;)

Who said you were talking about using a firearm for self-defence? I mean, you did, by implication. We're not talking about the availability of spanners or baseball bats unless I've misinterpreted this thread pretty badly.

I beg your pardon if my inference was incorrect but it seems fairly clear to me.

hiluxxury

phs

From a person close to the case ;
The pilot went down (with a loaded gun) to tell old mate to back off with the drone . An argument and struggle started and the lady was accidentally shot . Old mate made sure she was ok then went down to attack the pilot with a knife .
This was the story the pilot told police .

Sounds far fetched,
Why would you go to someone’s camp to discuss a drone carrying a loaded rifle

The sad pet used may never actually know what or how it all went down

Swaggie

If that was the case Hadnt he heard the idiom “ bring a knife to a gun fight”.
That was never going to end well.

He had a HF Radio, thats were my priority would be to get the message to someone regarding a partner/friend being shot.
I know people do silly things in the heat of the moment.

mikehzz

If that was the case Hadnt he heard the idiom “ bring a knife to a gun fight”.
That was never going to end well.

He had HF Radio thats were my priority would be to get the message to someone regarding a partner/friend being shot.
I know people do silly things in the heat of the moment.
If she was dead then that would have fired him up.

Vesko

Sometimes I wish I had supernatural powers. The first thing I would do is make all guns not to be able to fire. Guns, rifles, cannons, nuclear weapons, all caput! Heck, I’ll make all clubs and knifes to become jelly the moment someone start using them for violence.

What a wonderful world!

mikehzz

Sometimes I wish I had supernatural powers. The first thing I would do is make all guns not to be able to fire. Guns, rifles, cannons, nuclear weapons, all caput! Heck, I’ll make all clubs and knifes to become jelly the moment someone start using them for violence.

What a wonderful world!
Mate, most of the world already believes there is a being with supernatural powers and from what I see the being doesn't give a rat's behind about such things. :)

John U

A bit off topic to the gun discussion, but I'm wondering if these murders are related to the other disappearances in the area as discussed before:

But guns huh...
It’s been discussed a few times in this thread. It’s the media trying to make something out of nothing connected.
Anyone who knows the bush would know it is very easy to get lost, seriously so, if you get away from marked trails. Even worse for people with no experience in the bush.