Wonnangatta Couple from Drouin ??

jacnden

I’ve been a fan of Andrew rule and John Sylvester for quite a while but they might be getting a bit excited with this one. Rule had an interesting article a while back about the couple wandering off ( maybe looking for that drone ) and one getting injured and then being taken by wild dogs, with reference to cattlemen saying the dogs take down cattle? You would think there would of been a huge search of the area?
The button man story is just speculation but police havnt said he’s not involved
Trying to link the 4 disappearances over many years and 100s of ks apart is a bit of a stretch.
Will be interesting to see where this ends

Bomber2012

I’ve been a fan of Andrew rule and John Sylvester for quite a while but they might be getting a bit excited with this one. Rule had an interesting article a while back about the couple wandering off ( maybe looking for that drone ) and one getting injured and then being taken by wild dogs, with reference to cattlemen saying the dogs take down cattle? You would think there would of been a huge search of the area?
The button man story is just speculation but police havnt said he’s not involved
Trying to link the 4 disappearances over many years and 100s of ks apart is a bit of a stretch.
Will be interesting to see where this ends
Will certainly be interesting to see what turns up , if dogs did take them down you'd think they would've found clothing/remains ?
I doubt whether dogs took them down , it would be a first if dogs did go them as I haven't heard of anyone being attacked , heard stories about fishermen wading up rivers being stalked by dogs but no attacks . The police are all over this and want a result , will definitely be an interesting case .

discomatt

No way it was dogs, I have seen a few packs of wild dogs up the high country, if you see them it is for a split second before they bolt, I have just got a glimpse and they disappear into the scrub. They would be to scared to attack humans due to hunters taking pot shots

dno67

I could be wrong, but l thought l heard a report mentioning possible sightings and something about him visting another location a week pior to there disappearance.
It all seems have gone very quiet in recent days ?

Bomber2012

I could be wrong, but l thought l heard a report mentioning possible sightings and something about him visting another location a week pior to there disappearance.
It all seems have gone very quiet in recent days ?
I saw an interview with one of his radio mates and his mate was adamant they were driven out of the area by someone .

boobook

This whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

First the whole buttons thing,

Now, there is an article that Police have cut the window of when something happened down to 18 hours. Between the last radio contact and 18 hours later when people found the campsite with the fire etc

BUT this has been known since this story started. Why the new time frame reduction?

Missing campers time frame narrowed to 18-hour window
The search for missing campers Carol Clay and Russell Hill continues as police narrow down the time frame in which the pair disappeared, with one detective revealing what he thinks happened in that 18-hour window.

Police have cut the time frame in which Russell Hill and Carol Clay vanished from their High Country campsite to about 18 hours
Investigators believe something happened to the friends overnight or the morning after they last made contact from the Dry River Creek Track in the Wonnangatta Valley.

It has been 73 days since they left on the ill-fated camping trip which has gripped Victorians and is the subject of a major missing persons squad inquiry.

Investigators know Mr Hill talked via his radio with a friend at about 6.30pm on March 20, a day after setting off to East Gippsland.

He spoke only briefly because darkness was descending and he wanted to set up the camp site.

The next day, other High Country visitors came across their camp at about 2pm.

They saw fire had destroyed a tent and camp furniture and had also scorched the side of Mr Hill’s Toyota LandCruiser.

Lost1?

I would suggest Police have eliminated the possibility the people they are looking for decamped using other means. This press release is not significant because they are confirming there is a defined window of investigation. I will conclude as there are no proof of life activities such as accessing bank accounts, it would appear Police have stopped looking for people who are alive.

Bomber2012

This has all gone very quiet , presuming police have search an area they think is within walking distance of camp ......Maybe the old boy has made off with his girlfriend as you'd think a body would've been found by now ....Did they die in the bush ? Were they driven out ? All the makings of another Wonnangatta Mystery ??

Bomber2012

The more this goes on the more I think Button Man is the real loser out of this . Poor bloke just wanted to live out in the bush and now he is all over social media , every joker thinks its ok to pick/make fun of Button Man . I;d be interested to see how you would deal with all the media attention /murder accusations if the tables were turned . You may think its funny to torment Button Man but picture yourself or your family under the same
scrutiny .This Button Man garbage was fabricated by Ch 7 and a few more parasites that thought they would cash in over making totally unfounded accusations of a person they had no evidence against but because of his circumstances he was an easy target , so he became open slather............rant over .

Last edited:

Swaggie

If i was him i would go and speak to the Police and get it sorted. Sometimes you get caught up in crap by minding your own business, that’s life i guess unfortunately...

The next step would be to change my clothing for velcro and zips ... ;) :cool:

Corndoggy

Well this just comes to mind.

Do you know the button man,
The button man, the button man,
Do you know the button man,
That lives out Wonangatta way.

John U

The police have already spoken to him. Not as a suspect I’d guess, but as a very informed individual regarding the comings and goings of the area.

The Mansfield Courier had a front page article on button man’s trial by media. They jist of the article was that the reporting coming out of Melbourne was sensationalist garbage with no basis in reality. I’m not surprised by this given that that is the basis of the main stream media’s business model, in PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I find it hard to believe that the journos write sensationalist stories to sell the media for profits or just a good story.
I find that the reporters, journalists, editors, all media outlets, etc., are completely truthful and reliable.

Then the alarm went off and I woke up.

ipch

After the news break about Button I believe a few morons went looking for him and his camp.
He was harassed and his camp ransacked while he was away. There was a few tracks closed early and I think it may have been to keep people away from the area.

I have been told by locals that he has been taken to a safe house until things quieten down..

John U

After the news break about Button I believe a few morons went looking for him and his camp.
He was harassed and his camp ransacked while he was away. There was a few tracks closed early and I think it may have been to keep people away from the area.

I have been told by locals that he has been taken to a safe house until things quieten down..
Not surprised at all. Responsibility is on head of the individuals who write the rubbish and the idiots who publish/broadcast it.

Hope he’s ok.