Wombeyan Caves to Jenolan

abw

Next weekend I was thinking to do a trip from Wombeyan Caves to Jenolan Caves with the wife and kids. What I had in mind was to drive to Wombeyan from southern Sydney (say 2.5-3 hours via Wombeyan Caves Rd). Early lunch near the caves, then around mid day, head off via Range Fire trail, Banshea Rd, and Dingo Dell. A mate of mine mentioned it could comfortably be done (in dry weather) in an afternoon..say 4 hours or so. Is that realistic? We'll probably camp around Hartley somewhere.

Last edited:

Paddler Ed

Grab the Boiling Billy 4WD Treks around Sydney; it's got that route in it.

I did it a couple of years ago, and took the side route off to Yerrenderie (where we had an almighty thunderstorm and rainfall) which was good as well.

It's a good route, and I'm looking at doing it again in the near future with some guys over from the UK if calenders coincide.

HTH

Paddler Ed

And having just seen that Katomba has had nearly 50mm in an hour, and another system is developing around Jenolan Caves, I'd be inclined to give the Yerrenderie Ranger a call to check road conditions before heading out.

abw

Thanks for the info! Yep, I'll be using the Boiling Billy guide. Plus I have an Android GPS (Memory-Maps) and I downloaded the waypoints off the Boiling Billy site..so I shouldn't get lost;) Any idea how long it would take cave to cave? I'll have to skip Yerrenderie this time.

Paddler Ed

We did it as part of a longer route; we left Newnes in the morning, and then made our way to the Jenolan Caves; I'd say it took about 2hrs to get round to the Yerrenderie turn off, and then a couple of hours on the way out; we had a skewed timescale because we had to baby sit a Peugeot 505 out from Yerrenderie for a long time, before we had to say enough is enough, as we still had to get from Wombeyean back to the Central Coast.

In all honesty, when we did it we just used the Boiling Billy Book and a Gregory's NSW Street directory (which I still use as it shows tracks that the MM 1:250k doesn't, as I found today in the Oxley Rivers area)

HTH, as I said it was a while ago (February time 2012) so things will have changed.

Toddyh

4 hours would be pushing it. I've done it twice and both times has been a full day with say an hour for lunch and a couple of side tracks (only short ones). If you visit Yerranderie too it is definitely a full day.

You will need to watch the water level at the Kowmung River crossing. It can rise very quickly after rain. A couple of years ago it was bonnet deep and rushing through.

abw

.......Jenolan Caves; I'd say it took about 2hrs to get round to the Yerrenderie turn off, and then a couple of hours on the way out; we had a skewed timescale because we had to baby sit a Peugeot 505 out from Yerrenderie for a long time, before we had to say enough is enough........

That's just the sort of info I was after! Much appreciated, Paddler Ed.

Re that Peugeot 505, that's crazy. A few weeks back, me and a group of other guys went down to Bendethera...we came across a couple of Japanese tourists in a Camry on root..apparently they saw a picnic area (Bendethera campground) on a tourist map and decided to do a day trip in their rental!

abw

4 hours would be pushing it. I've done it twice and both times has been a full day with say an hour for lunch and a couple of side tracks (only short ones). If you visit Yerranderie too it is definitely a full day.

You will need to watch the water level at the Kowmung River crossing. It can rise very quickly after rain. A couple of years ago it was bonnet deep and rushing through.

I suppose, worse comes to worse, I could camp at Boyd River campground along Kanangra Rd?

DX Cruiser

I usually do it the other way around. Friday night at Cox's River (You can stay at the lodge its great), up the 6ft, through to Jenolan, Kannagra Walls, second night Dingo Dell then home via Wombeyan. Awesome trip.

noelh

We did it as part of a longer route; we left Newnes in the morning, and then made our way to the Jenolan Caves; I'd say it took about 2hrs to get round to the Yerrenderie turn off, and then a couple of hours on the way out; we had a skewed timescale because we had to baby sit a Peugeot 505 out from Yerrenderie for a long time, before we had to say enough is enough, as we still had to get from Wombeyean back to the Central Coast.

In all honesty, when we did it we just used the Boiling Billy Book and a Gregory's NSW Street directory (which I still use as it shows tracks that the MM 1:250k doesn't, as I found today in the Oxley Rivers area)

HTH, as I said it was a while ago (February time 2012) so things will have changed.

Just wondering where can I get the Boiling Billy Book from and approximately how much would it cost ($$$?)
Cheers
Noel H.
:confused:

RoughNReady

It's really nice out that way. You're definitely choosing the right time of year! I grew up out near Jenolan way.

Have a good trip! If you can, take some photos for us! It's been many years since I've been back there.

abw

It's really nice out that way. You're definitely choosing the right time of year! I grew up out near Jenolan way.

Have a good trip! If you can, take some photos for us! It's been many years since I've been back there.

Yeah, I've decided to delay the caves to caves this weekend..have a club trip to zigzag area on Sunday (early start). So I think I'd be pushing it to squeeze the caves to caves into just one day. planning on a weekend in the new year.

I very much appreciate all the good advice I've been given.

konazz

The other option for camping, is at Government Town camp at yerranderrie, which is free (although Boyd River is very nice, even though it gets frightfully cold at night). I wasn't impressed for the $12 the NPWS is charging for Private Town camp at Yerranderrie. The drop toilets at Government (free) camp were much much better than the flush toilets at Private Town. Unless you want/need a shower, go Government Town camp.