wombeyan caves road

Shunter Dave

Hi All,
Went for a drive today out to Wombeyan caves.We had a nice trip along Wombeyan caves road,The missus, kids and myself.About half way out from Mittagong there is a turnoff for some River retreat place missus need a toilet break the sign said 3kms to cafe toilets etc,So off we set well what a road that is it went straight down hill for about 200 metres then up a bit again then zig zags down the side off the mountain for about 300 odd metres until your down along the Wollindilly river.Just before you get to the retreat there is a sign saying clothing is optional,oh oh too late to turn around. Being a cold day we were lucky nobody was around only some older lady in the office found toilets then we were out of there.The only way to climb out of this river back to the road was in low 4wd 3rd gear and dont shut off its thats steep but the trusty patrol done fine.Any way back on the road to Wombeyan caves roads not too bad some bad areas.But what i couldn't understand was the hoon element with some ss commodores etc like they own the road or something the amout of times i came around blind corners to come face to face with some of these idiots was amazing. Then they would expect you to back up well that wasn't going to happen i just sat there until they backed up.This happened about 6 times.I passed lots of other 4wd's without any problems they were polite and considerate compared to these other car drivers.Anyway we had a real good day.Im going out next weekend to hillend and sofala so hopefully that will be as good too.Thanks David

BILLBY

nice drive

very pretty drive did you continue out the other side? maybe you didnt ,dont think 2 many dunnydores would come in from the G:cool:oulborn side

Shunter Dave

Hi,
No we only went as far as the caves spent 2 or so hours there then came back through to Mittagong.There was quite a few 2wd cars going and coming from Taralga-Goulburn. As i only live at Bargo its not that far to go to Wombeyan caves i will do the full drive soon, as i want to go out to Shooters hill later this month.Thanks David :)