Change background image

Winch

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Brendan Ryan, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Brendan Ryan

Brendan Ryan New Member

hey guys,
    Recently brought a winch for my Ute. I got an ARB Sahara bar and I was wondering if I need to buy a winch cradle or not? I brought the dominater x winch off super center

2. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

I'm reasonably sure the Sahara Bar is winch compatible.
    From their website:
    https://www.arb.com.au/bull-bars/sahara/

The mounting bolts on just about all the vehicle winches seem to be a standard pattern, so as long as they align with the holes in the bar you should be good to go.
    The fairlead can be an issue though, some require an offset so the cable runs straight to the drum. Not much of an issue with rollers fairleads as you can drill new holes, but with alloy ones they are often a lot more slim line and you don't have the option drilling new holes and if they aren't manufactured with an option to install them offset, then you have to find one that will fit.

Swaggie likes this.
  3. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

You will be fine mate , fairlead should need no adjustment , just bolt it all on and go :)

4. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Being ARB there is a good chance you are going to have to rotate the winch gearbox to suit.

5. Boots33

Boots33 Member

I fitted a Domin8tor to my mates Pajero sport a few weeks back. It was an ARB bar but not sure of the model, though it did look like the Summit. had a couple of swing out plastic panels in the front and a removable metal panel in the centre top where the solenoid box goes. Went in no problems at all, As cam04 has said you will need to rotate the free spool control to suit and if you don't have a slim number plate you will probably need to get a hinge mount for that too. The standard fairlead also was the correct fit, no offset needed (on his bar anyway).

6. Cokedaddy216

Cokedaddy216 Active Member

Put a new bushranger winch in my 2014 hilux yesterday :D removed the old one .
    If you have a 2014 hilux with ARB bar the install is a piece of cake ( first time I removed the bar :( ) remove spotties if fitted , remove the grill & there is your winch ready to remove / install :cool:

7. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

Personally id go a cradle if its a Sahara bar, iv destroyed one of those on my old 105 a few yrs ago during a winch recovery.
    Just talking from personal experience.