Winch Warranty's - Who to Support and When to Walk, Warn,Runva,Ironman,Carbon,Tmax etc

Buxter

I do recall something but I think it was related to people buying Warn direct from the USA and then wanting a warranty here that was the issue which they are within their rights to refuse
Why is that within their rights, all Warn WInches made in the same factory.
Is it to protect the Importers, who are hell bent on ripping ppl off, with their crap warranties ?

Albynsw

Mine wasn`t a warranty job, just old and full of water and rust.

I think the older and comp style winches require plenty of preventive maintenance which is not an easy task for most people’s situation
Is it to protect the Importers, who are hell bent on ripping ppl off, with their crap warranties ?

Because they didn’t sell it to you so you need to go back to who did. Tyre companies do the same, first thing they do when you have an issue is check the serial number to see if it was a grey import as do Polaris, they even used to put out ads advising/ warning people that they will not support a grey import here if you buy one
Try importing say a Ford from America and then taking it in to a dealer here

Would you like to do a warranty job on a product you didn’t provide?

Chatty

So, what you want is an importer to bear all the costs of importing, distributing and supporting these winches, but because that costs money you're not prepared to pay you want to buy the winch direct from America.
And then, you want that local distributor to bear the costs of your warranty claim when you haven't bought through them?

Time for a reality check I think.

Lost and found

Like everyone had mentioned - great thread Swaggie. My two cents - get back to basics, use a bow sheet for water crossings and look at a breathable winch cover that protects from water spray and most elements whilst hanging off the front of your rig.
I’m stuck away from family again in remote NW WA so have read a lot of the thread in my downtime and will read through it all later.
For me it will probably be either the Ironman or T Max 12000. Cheers

AD68

Anyone had a Domin8r X winch motor die on them? I purchased one 12 months ago after reading they had upgraded the winch and addressed some of the earlier issues. Mine had never been used in anger, only a spool in and out under load every few months. Seemed well constructed and did what it was meant to do.

Went to run it a couple of weeks ago and only heard the solenoid clicking, plus a very faint noise from the motor. and the drum didn;t move. Went to check the wires/connections and the red power cable to the winch motor was pretty warm. I put a current clamp meter on it to see what it was drawing and fired it up again for 10 seconds. It was drawing 500amps, so I reckon that the motor has had the richard. I did the recommended tests that the 4wd Supacentre said to do with no joy. Just dealing with them now on a warranty/refund.

Pulled it out of the bar and the thing is like new. Never been underwater, in mud, just exposed to rain as the car lives outside. All the electrical connections were mint.

There have been some Domin8r winch owners on here that have no problems at all and there were some decent reviews of the upgraded model which led me down that path. Keen to hear if anyone else had had a similar issue? Seems a bit odd it just died.

Last edited:

Lost and found

Have scanned through the entire thread. I did have an old warn that was rebuilt for a cape trip but that was through lack of use and no maintenance. Most of the thread has been about runva and carbon.
Here’s a tip for the ironman winch owners - your remote has two batteries, one for the light and one that links/works the winch. If your remote doesn’t work and the light is working check the link/winch use battery - don’t think there’s something wrong with it is my point.

Nothing is really surprising in this thread. I think most bolt a winch on the front of their rig and forget about it. Out of sight outa mind until it’s needed, and if it doesn’t work then it’s game on.
Personally for me I like the Ironman and the Tmax. I like a few of them including Sherpa, carbon and runva. One thing I think I’ll do is get to know my winch and maintain it. It’ll be on a winch cradle so will be easily accessible. Cheers

CaptainBanana

Carbon winches are currently running a promotion where they're selling some presumably even more poorly made winch for $599 I think it is. On their post I put pictures of my winch full of water and rusted up to pieces and asked if this new range of winches would also fill up with water and be ruined with almost no use and would it also contain a breather that does nothing or have they decided to do something about the absolute rubbish sealing on all components - they chose to delete my comments and photos and only to respond to people who are asking how to buy a winch.

As I'm currently shopping for a new one to go into my jeep I'm not giving them any further money this much I am sure, I'm currently looking at other sub $500 winches since paying $1000 + dollars seems to make no tangible difference.

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

So I've just bought a XTM (BCF) winch, oddly enough it's 12,000lb and rated at 7.2hp which seems to be higher than pretty much everyone else so I wonder what the actual performance is like. It has the same reduction ratio as the carbon I already have and the same weight rating but more power apparently so I'll be interested to see if there's anything that stands out as different about it's performance.

I'm now thinking to put my leaky carbon on the Jeep since it's on top of the bumper and I can basically pull it apart every single time it sees water and drain it although I'm not really happy about the prospect and to put the XTM on the Amarok which is inside the ARB bullbar and just hope it doesn't fill up with water. In any case I'm much happier to have spent $500 this time on a Chinese winch than $1,000 like I did on the carbon and the runva before it so let's see how it goes.

discomatt

In any case I'm much happier to have spent $500 this time on a Chinese winch than $1,000 like I did on the carbon and the runva before it so let's see how it goes.
What issues did you have with the Runva? I now have one on the toy although its hardly been used it sounds pretty average, a bit like its full of gravel but there is no issues inside it when pulled apart

CaptainBanana

What issues did you have with the Runva? I now have one on the toy although its hardly been used it sounds pretty average, a bit like its full of gravel but there is no issues inside it when pulled apart

Mine was also full of water which in a $1,000 product probably shouldn't do when you can get them for 3 times less money.

At first runva wouldn't supply me a remote when it didn't come with one accusing me of lying (read a much earlier post by me here), once I got it I found the remotes not even remotely water resistant as the very first time I used it up in Toolangi I dropped it on the wet ground and an hour later the water had got inside it seems and it never worked again anyway. When I sold the Triton I left it on there and didn't even bother taking it off the mostly because I didn't want to deal with the company anymore after the initial headache.

I'd only had it a year as I only had the car for 14 months and I did use it whole lot in that time so I can't really say it broke or didn't work but it did sound like it was full of rocks which my carbon does too.

Interestingly I installed the XTM on the Jeep yesterday and did a load Pull and it is very very quiet like incredibly quiet and smooth, I wonder what they've done different to achieve that? It is incredibly slow too and I mean even without load which I wasn't expecting as it doesn't have the shortest gearing by far it's actually got the same gearing as my carbon apparently. I will have to do a test side-by-side sometime this week and see if there is an actual difference in line speed without load.

I was actually just on the Repco site and looking for something else and noticed that they sell a winch branded as Drivetech for $1,220 and that winch happens to have the exact same cast aluminium centre section and control box and similar gearbox housing. Although the photo looks a little bit different on the motor housing side suspect that these are the same winch manufacturers as the BCF ones for more than double the price. Interestingly they have them listed as a dual speed which I've not come across before and they actually put in their ad that they are very quiet so presumably they have done something intentionally to make them so, I wonder if there's any chance the tolerances a better in this range of chinese winches?

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

Ok so a bit of an update.

I took the car for its first Offroad run yesterday with new BCF XTM winch and new 760cca battery and tried a couple of very steep single line pulls both on myself and a hilux. The First pull was only a few minutes but the second pull on the HiLux lasted for probably 5 to 7 Minutes all up with the winch being used under heavy load the whole time.

The findings.

The winch worked.
It barley got warm.
It's extremely slow even though the gearing suggests it shouldn't be.
It's so quiet that from inside the car with the engine idling a little bit higher I actually couldn't tell whether the winch was was pulling or not.

A side effect of it being very quiet and having a tight sounding gearbox is that when you try to pull it out under free spool you basically need two people to drag it out which is annoying especially since it is so incredibly slow reversing out under its own Drive, you would not want to need that rope out in a hurry because you won't get it.

And it has a very frustrating design "feature" when using it in wireless mode where it will run for 3 seconds, pause run for 3 seconds, pause and do this indefinitely - it's ridiculous because the pause is only momentary but enough to drive you mental.

Attachments

• IMG-20210731-WA0022.jpg
    IMG-20210731-WA0022.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-20210731-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20210731-WA0018.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 32

a1bert

Aldi winch, $379, 5443kg, synthetic rope, guaranteed water proof motor and gear box IP67, this coming week
The good thing is you can buy one of these, thrash it and return it on no questions asked guarantee
p.s not yelling, just cannot get rid of the high light

smitty_r51

Aldi winch, $379, 5443kg, synthetic rope, guaranteed water proof motor and gear box IP67, this coming week
The good thing is you can buy one of these, thrash it and return it on no questions asked guarantee
p.s not yelling, just cannot get rid of the high light
That's 12000lbs, be interesting to see the specs on that one.

Buxter

Don`t know what sort of winch you have but that suck`s the big one.

I`m on my second Runva, last one is still on the rangie.
I very strongly recomemned them, I haven`t had a problem with them over the last 10yrs.
I woundn`t buy anything that`s not IP rated with a good warranty.
Love Runva winches.
I will eventually get another for the Dual Cab
:):)

AngryWO

I worked at the Thompson Reservoir as Caretaker, had a landcruser with a PTO winch could use all gears whilst winching, rescued an F100 2x2 on Beardmore’s Track some how he got half way up. I but the Toyotas bull bar against a tree a winched him bit by bit up to the top, now that’s a winch.