Winch Warranty's - Who to Support and When to Walk, Warn,Runva,Ironman,Carbon,Tmax etc

gardenvariety

Two parts to this comment.

Seeking advice - I have a PX2 Ranger with a Rival winch bar. The vehicle is regularly loaded with ~400kg of goodies (including weight of canopy and drawers.) What winch would the fine gents/ladies recommend?

Providing suggestion
- I have read the very well written stickied comment by swaggie. Excellent job on that. Much appreciated. I did notice that the post is dated 2013 but I am aware that it could have been update. It would be great if you included the date of last update.

Thanks

Lovey

Providing suggestion - I have read the very well written stickied comment by swaggie. Excellent job on that. Much appreciated. I did notice that the post is dated 2013 but I am aware that it could have been update. It would be great if you included the date of last update.
Thanks
At the end of that first post it indicates that it was last edited on the 6 Jan, 2020.

Jackbyo

Are Carbon winches made in Australia?

According to 4wdshed, they are manufactured in Australia. Doesn't seem correct to me

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 3.06.01 pm.png

John U

Are Carbon winches made in Australia?

According to 4wdshed, they are manufactured in Australia. Doesn't seem correct to me

View attachment 70048
That statement doesn't say "manufactured in Australia" anywhere.

As soon as a company starts going on about a product being designed in Australia you can be sure it is manufactured elsewhere.

Manufactured by an Australian company doesn't equal manufactured in Australia.

Sorry. I love my Australian made stuff. I am across all the marketing that makes it look so when it isn't. Been sucked in a couple of times. Price is often the best indicator. Thus our good standard of living.

Jackbyo

That statement doesn't say "manufactured in Australia" anywhere.

As soon as a company starts going on about a product being designed in Australia you can be sure it is manufactured elsewhere.

Manufactured by an Australian company doesn't equal manufactured in Australia.

Sorry. I love my Australian made stuff. I am across all the marketing that makes it look so when it isn't. Been sucked in a couple of times. Price is often the best indicator. Thus our good standard of living.

Ah yes that makes sense. "Manufactured by an Australian company" is pretty misleading... Even more so than "100% Proudly Australian designed, engineering, owned and operated" with pictures of kangaroos hopping all over the place

No matter, I still think they look like one of the most appealing options

John U

Ah yes that makes sense. "Manufactured by an Australian company" is pretty misleading... Even more so than "100% Proudly Australian designed, engineering, owned and operated" with pictures of kangaroos hopping all over the place

No matter, I still think they look like one of the most appealing options
They're more Australian than the majority of other brands and get some good reviews. Definitely more Australian than the Runva I purchased.

a1bert

Think there was past discussions re Warn winches where it said Made in the USA on the boxes, turned out the card board box were made in the USA and it was quite legal to have that on the box :mad:

CaptainBanana

So I have a 18 month old carbon winch which cost quite a lot more than the entry level winches and I'm now questioning whether any of that was worthwhile or not. When you consider how long Victoria has been in lockdown over the last 18 months and the fact that this car is only used to go away in a few times a year at best even outside of lock down the winches had very little use.

These winches are factory supplied with a breather tube using a mini John Guest type fittings and a brass filter which in my case was mounted up at the top of the firewall like my diff breathers.

As I am pulling it off my jeep and getting it ready to go onto my Ute I decided to pull it apart and see just how much water was in there and as I'm sure it'll come as no surprise to anyone the gearbox was absolutely full, the motor was moist but plenty of evidence of long-term water in there. Corrosion on everything add the bearing on the shaft is so loose you can wobble it's several millimetres in any direction.

The factory paper type gasket on the gearbox appears to be reasonably thick and probably sealed reasonably well but the sealing on the motor side both on the cap for the brushes and the Motor Body to the winch centre section is pathetic and would be lucky to be half a millimetre thick, the O-ring on the gearbox lever was disintegrated.

I'm currently in the market for a new Jeep to replace my current Jeep which has just been sold and will also be in the market for a winch but I am now wondering if the smart man would actually buy a $300 or $400 winch and not pay for some supposed it brand name which is still made in China.

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_151545.jpg
    IMG_20210627_151545.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210627_151537.jpg
    IMG_20210627_151537.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210627_144943.jpg
    IMG_20210627_144943.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210627_144509_1.jpg
    IMG_20210627_144509_1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210627_140908.jpg
    IMG_20210627_140908.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20210627_140906.jpg
    IMG_20210627_140906.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24

Toyasaurus

Don`t know what sort of winch you have but that suck`s the big one.

I`m on my second Runva, last one is still on the rangie.
I very strongly recomemned them, I haven`t had a problem with them over the last 10yrs.
I woundn`t buy anything that`s not IP rated with a good warranty.

Albynsw

That is a pretty disappointing outcome :(

My warn has never let me down in the last 8-9 years and doesn’t get serviced or any maintenance. I have just ordered another Warn for my new vehicle, the EVO 12,000 lb with synthetic rope and IP 67 rating.
The main reason I stick with them is that there are service agents all around the country so if I do have an issue I would like to think it will get sorted much easier.
I know some of the brands have a back to base warranty which is not much use if you are in Broome and you have to remove it and send it back to them in Melbourne or Sydney etc.

Toyasaurus

I must admit I haven`t had to deal with there warranty dept, because I haven`t had a problem.
Crossed finger`s behind back.

Having said that my warn desintergrated when ARB took it apart, the quote for repairs was half again as much as a new one from Runva.

a1bert

Isn't there mention the problems people had trying to get warranty fromARB on Warn winches earlier in the posts?

Albynsw

Isn't there mention the problems people had trying to get warranty fromARB on Warn winches earlier in the posts?

I do recall something but I think it was related to people buying Warn direct from the USA and then wanting a warranty here that was the issue which they are within their rights to refuse

Buxter

So I have a 18 month old carbon winch which cost quite a lot more than the entry level winches and I'm now questioning whether any of that was worthwhile or not. When you consider how long Victoria has been in lockdown over the last 18 months and the fact that this car is only used to go away in a few times a year at best even outside of lock down the winches had very little use.

These winches are factory supplied with a breather tube using a mini John Guest type fittings and a brass filter which in my case was mounted up at the top of the firewall like my diff breathers.

As I am pulling it off my jeep and getting it ready to go onto my Ute I decided to pull it apart and see just how much water was in there and as I'm sure it'll come as no surprise to anyone the gearbox was absolutely full, the motor was moist but plenty of evidence of long-term water in there. Corrosion on everything add the bearing on the shaft is so loose you can wobble it's several millimetres in any direction.

The factory paper type gasket on the gearbox appears to be reasonably thick and probably sealed reasonably well but the sealing on the motor side both on the cap for the brushes and the Motor Body to the winch centre section is pathetic and would be lucky to be half a millimetre thick, the O-ring on the gearbox lever was disintegrated.

I'm currently in the market for a new Jeep to replace my current Jeep which has just been sold and will also be in the market for a winch but I am now wondering if the smart man would actually buy a $300 or $400 winch and not pay for some supposed it brand name which is still made in China.
Looks like crap to me

Have a look at my Runva Winch Report after 6 1/2 years of hard work and lots of mud and water.

Pages 50 or 51 from memory

Last edited:

Buxter

Hit them up for a new one or refund