Winch Warranty's - Who to Support and When to Walk, Warn,Runva,Ironman,Carbon,Tmax etc

LMCD

So finally a conclusion. I had a new motor arrive from Runva recently. They charged me $30 for postage.
When I saw the package I couldn't help but laugh, as the bottom of the box was torn open and the motor was hanging out with the shaft and seals showing themselves for inspection. A light tug and the motor was freed from its packaging.

The ridiculously oversized, thin-walled cardboard box and lack of padding aside, ...... I did get a new motor from Runva at the cost of $30 after hassling them for a good 6 weeks.

Thank you @Swaggie for this forum and the help you have offered. I do have some suggestions regarding the summary you have on page1.

2: Runva: Lifetime Mechanical Warranty - This covers all Mechanical Components on the winch.
(Except Steel Cable and Dyneema Winch Rope)

5 Year Electrical Warranty – this covers all Electrical Components on the winch.

No Yearly Servicing Required
No Hidden Fine print
Extremely low failure rate.
In the unlikely event of a claim, they are acknowledged and handled very quickly

http://www.runvawinch.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Runva_Warranty_Policy.pdf

Swaggie: Runva Australia have now signed up to 4x4earth to answer any of your questions..

• They do "strongly recommend" yearly servicing now and they are willing to try to reject warranty claims if this hasn't been performed.
  • As discussed by other members the warranty has a few catch 22's and contradictions that allow Runva the ability to try to deny any water ingress warranty claim if they desire.
  • I have had one warranty claim handled very quickly a few years ago when the brakes shattered in my drum due to rust buildup; this time however, over 6 weeks of arguing is neither quick nor hassle-free.
  • The warranty link is now http://www.runvawinch.com.au/assets/files/Runva Winch Warranty(1).pdf
  • @RunvaAustralia has not been active/seen on 4X4earth for over a year and last posted 2 years ago. I doubt you'll get any answers if you messaged them through 4x4earth.

So I agree that Runva winches are a great product and if used regularly would have an "extremely low failure rate", otherwise, I have to respectively disagree with all the other comments on the page 1 summary regarding their warranty and customer service, and recommend an update accordingly.

Thanks for everyone's input on the subject!

CTL

So finally a conclusion. I had a new motor arrive from Runva recently. They charged me $30 for postage.
When I saw the package I couldn't help but laugh, as the bottom of the box was torn open and the motor was hanging out with the shaft and seals showing themselves for inspection. A light tug and the motor was freed from its packaging.

The ridiculously oversized, thin-walled cardboard box and lack of padding aside, ...... I did get a new motor from Runva at the cost of $30 after hassling them for a good 6 weeks.

Thank you @Swaggie for this forum and the help you have offered. I do have some suggestions regarding the summary you have on page1.

• They do "strongly recommend" yearly servicing now and they are willing to try to reject warranty claims if this hasn't been performed.
  • As discussed by other members the warranty has a few catch 22's and contradictions that allow Runva the ability to try to deny any water ingress warranty claim if they desire.
  • I have had one warranty claim handled very quickly a few years ago when the brakes shattered in my drum due to rust buildup; this time however, over 6 weeks of arguing is neither quick nor hassle-free.
  • The warranty link is now http://www.runvawinch.com.au/assets/files/Runva Winch Warranty(1).pdf
  • @RunvaAustralia has not been active/seen on 4X4earth for over a year and last posted 2 years ago. I doubt you'll get any answers if you messaged them through 4x4earth.

So I agree that Runva winches are a great product and if used regularly would have an "extremely low failure rate", otherwise, I have to respectively disagree with all the other comments on the page 1 summary regarding their warranty and customer service, and recommend an update accordingly.

Thanks for everyone's input on the subject!

Glad you got what you wanted.
I won’t be too concerned about your experience compared to all the positive experiences I have also read about Runva. Why? Well your only postings on here have been to bag Runva in an attempt to get what YOU wanted.
So many people take to social media these days to whinge so they can bully manufacturers into getting the result they want.
We have only heard your story, nothing from Runva. And Runva, if they are smart, would never engage in a social media slanging match. My experience is there are always two sides to every story and somewhere in between is the truth. How close to which end of that truth is always an interesting observation.

Rusty Panels

These sorts of issues can have differing results depending on who you get on the other end of the phone. I've been in similar situations where one person is completely rude and disinterested in your problem so, you end up completely ticked off. Next bloke you call couldn't be more helpful.
And then other times you have to rattle a few cans to get what you want!
I've got a Runva too! I'm just heading out to wrap it in Gladwrap.

CaptainBanana

Glad you got what you wanted.
I won’t be too concerned about your experience compared to all the positive experiences I have also read about Runva. Why? Well your only postings on here have been to bag Runva in an attempt to get what YOU wanted.
So many people take to social media these days to whinge so they can bully manufacturers into getting the result they want.
We have only heard your story, nothing from Runva. And Runva, if they are smart, would never engage in a social media slanging match. My experience is there are always two sides to every story and somewhere in between is the truth. How close to which end of that truth is always an interesting observation.

Lol my brand new runva was missing the remote from the box - the girl on the phone said she would check logs and see what the box weighed when it was at the warehouse to determine if I was lying..... Refused to do anything but sell me a remote for my brand new in the box retail purchased runva winch. Until I mentioned it right here, I'm generally a big sceptic with online posts but to say they're going to check weight logs is a joke.

John U

Lol my brand new runva was missing the remote from the box - the girl on the phone said she would check logs and see what the box weighed when it was at the warehouse to determine if I was lying..... Refused to do anything but sell me a remote for my brand new in the box retail purchased runva winch. Until I mentioned it right here, I'm generally a big sceptic with online posts but to say they're going to check weight logs is a joke.
Fair insult. Not the way to treat your customers. Good customer service is the exception rather than the rule these days though

CTL

Fair insult. Not the way to treat your customers. Good customer service is the exception rather than the rule these days though
So old mate drops the winch on his remote getting it out of the box, or his mate broke his out bush, and old mate thinks he will try it on and calls the supplier then tells a few porkies in the hope of getting a replacement for free. Nah, that has never happened. BTW I am in no way inferring this happened to Captain B.
I reckon any supplier has the right to be suspicious of any unusual or one-off faults/missing parts/etc. Particularly if they have the means to prove/disprove a claim then they have every right to check first.

Rusty Panels

I agree that the supplier has a right to be a bit doubtful at times but I also think they need to be a bit open minded. The fact is that sometimes there are bits missing from boxes. But it's also true that some people will tell fibs in order to replace something they broke or lost or just simply want an extra one.
I've been fairly lucky with stuff I've bought online but have been stung once or twice as well. I normally use PayPal because they are pretty good at coming to the rescue should you strike problems.

John U

So old mate drops the winch on his remote getting it out of the box, or his mate broke his out bush, and old mate thinks he will try it on and calls the supplier then tells a few porkies in the hope of getting a replacement for free. Nah, that has never happened. BTW I am in no way inferring this happened to Captain B.
I reckon any supplier has the right to be suspicious of any unusual or one-off faults/missing parts/etc. Particularly if they have the means to prove/disprove a claim then they have every right to check first.
They could take that approach and lose a customer, or they could say to themselves "a remote only costs us $15. If we help this bloke out without too much hassle we'll have won a loyal customer for life. An individual who will do our advertising for us."

For $15 I know which approach I'd take. This sort of approach, and the information in this thread is what convinced me to buy a Runva.

I'm sure there's many shysters out there that might take the approach you've detailed above but I'd reckon they'd be in the minority. If people run a business according to the shyster model, treating all customers like thieves, I don't think they'll survive in the long term.

"Particularly if they have the means to prove/disprove a claim then they have every right to check first."
Unless they take a photo of the contents of every box, with the remote visible, right before it is sealed, with serial number details, and store this in a database that can easily be retrieved I reckon there would zero chance of confirming if the remote was in the box. The cost of going to this effort would be significant and time consuming, especially when compared to the cost of a replacement controller. I agree you'd be on the right track if an individual claimed there was no winch in the box. The box would never leave the distro if the winch was missing as the difference in weight would be obvious.

Wireless winch remote $24.72 full retail price, postage included. Runva would get them for roughly the same, or less.

Note - I'm happy with my Runva. The original control switch was dodgy. The shop replaced it on the spot and gave me a second remote for my troubles. Good service and backup on the Runva product from the shop.

Last edited:

FrankP

I normally operate my Runva winch with the wireless remote. The winch became intermittent and then stopped working altogether. I tried the cabled handpiece for the first time in 5+ years but the socket on the solenoid housing had shrunk and I couldn't plug the handpiece in. After softening the socket with a heat gun I was able to expand it enough to fit the handpiece plug. Still no go. The winch is 6 months outside the 5 year electrical warranty.

I asked Runva what they could do for me. Because the warranty had expired by 6 months they couldn't do a solenoid pack and socket under warranty, which is fair enough IMO. But they did give me a 20% discount and free freight. I think that's pretty reasonable.

I'm a bit concerned by the need for annual servicing. On my vehicle, to get the winch out I have to remove the bar and winch as an assembly. I can't DIY that. I recently had some repairs done to the vehicle which involved removal and re-fit of the bar. That R&R cost me $400, which makes an annual winch service pretty damned expensive.

While the bar was off for the vehicle repair I did service the winch, now 5 years old, for the first time. The motor was like new with absolutely no evidence of water ingress. The mechanicals were all good, so it's gone back together, hopefully good for another 5 years.

Albynsw

For the record my Warn XDC9.5 is now going on 8 years old, never serviced or run regularly only when needed
I got caught in a bog hole two weeks ago up at the cape and she pulled me out without missing a beat
Must admit I turned it on a bit sheepishly as it hasn’t been used in over 6 months

Swaggie

I'm a bit concerned by the need for annual servicing. On my vehicle, to get the winch out I have to remove the bar and winch as an assembly. I can't DIY that. I recently had some repairs done to the vehicle which involved removal and re-fit of the bar. That R&R cost me $400, which makes an annual winch service pretty damned expensive.

In my opinion that’s a fair outcome and glad your happy, to expect someone to take out a winch yearly to meet a warranty is not,I believe this must be fairly new and I’ll look into it .
I’m glad your Runva motor was clean after that time it’s a great sign.

a1bert

I recently bought a Runva on the basis of the 5 year warranty, if they have discovered their winches are not as good as claimed and they try and reject any warranty claiming they now have to be services every year its off to Fair Trading and they can tell them why!

CaptainBanana

I have had 2 winches , 1 cheap aldi , 1 expensive runva, after having both, submerging 1 in 10 times as much water and mud and having pulled both apart I know which on eI would rather buy again and it is certainly not the expensive piece of crap that needs servicing every year and that I have been told to run it in and out after every time it gets wet to dry it out.
Anyone that thinks runnining a winch in and out will remove all the water from inside with heat and evaperation and ingress caused by crap seals is a FW and has no clue on real world workings.
Just my opinion so please do not get offended if you sit in my FW category because I am sure my opinion doesn't really carry much weight

I've said this before, anyone who thinks running a winch and and out especially with no load will generate so much heat it will push the water out by somehow turning it to steam is mad. This is probably a clause simply so the companies who support the theory have an "out" should you make a claim.

For what it's worth I never had an issue with my runva although I sold the car at 14 months old so the winch wasn't even a year old and didn't get much use. The remote on the other hand which was the drama initially failed the first time I dropped it in a puddle the first time I used, my carbon has a much more water resistant remote luckily and has been wet plenty.

Swaggie

I’ve rebuilt my Warm winch because it failed miserably at the smell of water while under warranty but ARB quickly used the water clause so it inspired me to create this thread back then. Havnt taken it out for about 10 years i reckon, Hasn’t been used for about 18 months at least and I’m confident it will work, but test it a week before i go away usually .Even that seems so far away..
I’ve said this many times on this forum my winch has only ever been warm when winching and it’s been used on some steep crappy tracks, mud etc .

dno67

Getting a winch motor hot, will probably do more towards creating internal condensation and possibly rust issues. I'd see a regular run as more to do with keeping internal parts free from sticking.

Hoyks

Using my 12000lb Carbon Winch for home improvements. Its not just a gardening tool ;) .

IMG_0210.jpg

I admit the chainsaw got a bit of a run too.

Last edited:

Hoyks

Looks more like the explosives got a run to me! :oops:
It sounded like it. 2" x 6" hardwood beams make a bit of a racket when they come down. Dog took off and thought sitting in the bull paddock across the road was a safer bet.
My darling wife didn't come out to see what the noise was or why the house was shaking. She figured the crashes were a few minutes apart and I wasn't screaming... pretty sure she had already worked out how to spend my life insurance:(.

Rusty Panels

About 10 years ago I replaced an old double garage that had severe termite damage. It was fibro with a metal roof. All was good till I removed the last nail from the last sheet of fibro when it fell over. It was a funny sight. It was so rotten that I managed to get the entire frame, all the roofing and fibro into my 6x4 box trailer with the aid of a bobcat to fold and flatten the corro.