Change background image

Winch Isolator (Runva 11xp)

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by AlienCamel, Oct 12, 2018.

1. AlienCamel

AlienCamel New Member

Hey fellas,

Fried me winch a few weeks ago. Just had me car serviced and got them to look at it while they had it. They reckon the isolator had water in it and needs a new isolator?

Dumb as but what am I actually trying to buy or replace? A solenoid or what? Any links as to what i should be buying?

New to this and TJM are sneaky and also charge a fortune so dont wanna go in and talk to them if I can get the info here and buy what I need online and replace it myself.

Cheers.

2. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

3. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  4. abw

abw Well-Known Member

can you take a photo of what they wan to replace? sounds a bit strange to me.

5. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

There is quite a difference between an isolator and a solenoid. I have an isolator which is under the bonnet similar to @billolga a 500A job. The solenoid, if that is what they are talking about, is in the control box and can be affected by water. Might pay to take the cover off the control box and see if the is any corrosion etc inside. If it is the solenoid it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement online or at an auto store.

6. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

If its the isolator i have had nothing but bad luck with them on winches, always seem to fail for no reason at all.
    I removed mine and have just wired the solenoid up so that it cant activate unless a switch is flipped first. Just need to switch the small ground wire in the control box.

7. billolga

billolga 4x4 Earth Contributer

Winches draw HEAPS of power so you must get a heavy duty Isolator.

8. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

I am switching the control circuit for the solenoid, with the ground disconnected from the control circuit the solenoid can not operate.

I had high current isolators previously (including one supplied by runva) and even without use they failed. No doubt not the best quality but without searching its the most common style available

9. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

Cheapest and easy isolator, one of these
    Welding lead quick connect, just use the female on the battery side. Screenshot_2018-10-13-16-44-19.png

mac_man_luke likes this.
  10. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

This is why all my winch gear is up high under the bonnet, they last forever then

11. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

This is why all my winch gear is up high under the bonnet, they last forever then

12. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

I installed an isolator as I wasn't keen on the insulation on any live wires getting damaged in a moderate front impact and burning the vehicle out.
    I have something like this one under the bonnet, I like it because the terminals are protected from accidental shorting and it got a god spray of corrosion inhibitor so water doesn't pool.
    Amp rating wise its right on the winch power consumption limits though.

[​IMG]
    https://www.ebay.com.au/p/NARVA-Mas...l-Switch-Suits-up-to-48vdc-61082BL/3017021308

13. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

How old is your winch ? RUNVA winches have a 5 year guarantee on electrical parts.

dno67 likes this.
  14. stevemc181

stevemc181 Well-Known Member

15. AlienCamel

AlienCamel New Member

Only just seen alot of the replies to this.
    Appreciate it guys.
    Its definitely the isolator. Ive emailed Runva to see if they will replace it under warranty and if not ill have a look at a few of the options listed here. Might even have a crack at movin it further under the bonnet or even into the cab

Cheers again!

16. Petunia

Petunia Member

As someone mentioned, Winches draw a heap of Angry Amps so moving an isolator further than from battery to winch in the shortest possible way, with the heaviest possible cable, in my opinion will just lead to further problems. A cable run into the cab will be like buying Kmart 200amp jumper cables, good for one start if it starts, if it don't start, them damn cables going to melt.

17. AlienCamel

AlienCamel New Member

All sorted, i Just done a cheap 30 dollar fix and replaced the isolator as it is with a rubber cap over the nozzle type bit, might stop water. if not, ill replace it again. Very cheap fix.

Cheers for the help guys.