Winch dampners. Do you use them?

Hymie

Think about the amount of kinetic energy stored in Recovery gear when it fails.
Is a bit of material around a Meter Square going to slow it down significantly?
Considering the Dampener is running along the axis of the rope/strap/chain or whatever you are dragging with I see it having a negligible effect. We'll just have to agree to disagree on their use.

jack48

I'm with Watt on this one, we needed to cut the rope on Jo's rig the other day while on full strain, it just fell to the ground, not a drama, and as for covering hooks etc they should be attached to a tree trunk protector or a tow hook or shackle so they need no protection.

Wire ropes are a different situation and the dampener should be used at all times.

On another point, I have been disgusted a couple of times at seeing 4wders hook a winch cable around a tree and hook it back onto itself :eek: steel cable that is. apart from damaging the cable it ring barks the tree and will kill it :mad:

35Henry

There is some information in this discussion Snatch straps @ ExplorOz Forum on the use of dampers that is worth reading. I remembered seeing something on the net about a Landcruiser club conducting a series of tests that showed many cable dampers were next to useless. I found this link while looking for it. It is part way down the page in "FollowUp 5 of 17" written by Phil G from SA..

adam10_1990

I had a situation where i was standing behind a rodeo being towed out of a creek, the cable let go at the 4wd we were conected to, swung back around the car and nearly took me out, (missed my leg by about two inchs) with a dampner at each end, my two lessons learnt are, stand far enough away so that which ever end breaks has no chance of getting near you, and b. dont get into bloody situations where you need a winch. my thoughts any way,

croozza

Think about the amount of kinetic energy stored in Recovery gear when it fails.
Is a bit of material around a Meter Square going to slow it down significantly?
Considering the Dampener is running along the axis of the rope/strap/chain or whatever you are dragging with I see it having a negligible effect. We'll just have to agree to disagree on their use.

Ummmmmm, yes it will stop the cable or snatch strap. Have seen this demonstrated many times, it is not marketing hype, not only does it stop injuries to humans, it stops damage to vehicles.

03hilux

I did a driver training course, and they advise to ALWAYS use a dampener, preferably 2 each placed a third of the way up the strap from each end, as opposed to using one placed in the middle. And bystanders should be atleast 1.5 the length of the strap away from the recovery ie. 9mtr strap, bystanders should be about 14mtrs away.

banshee

they only cost about 30 bucks on ebay, nice for a piece of mind when you have your 12000lb winch cranking away....dragging your 3 tonne truck out of slop....i like my head (others mightn't...lol), but i do