Wildflowers

nananut

Thought I start a wildflowers thread since it's spring. Took the long way back home to Kalgoorlie and did a few detours following a couple of tracks running parallel to highway from Burracoppin to Karalee Rock, stopping along some of the POIs on the Golden Pipeline Trail which follows the water pipeline from Mundaring to Kalgoorlie.

These were taken under cloudy conditions so it was hard to brighten them up much so I brought the colours of the flowers out instead.
IMG_5535-1.jpg
IMG_5537-1.jpg
IMG_5540-1.jpg
IMG_5543-1.jpg
IMG_5544-1.jpg
IMG_5545-1.jpg
IMG_5547-1.jpg
IMG_5548-1.jpg
IMG_5550-1.jpg
IMG_5554-1.jpg
IMG_5556-1.jpg
IMG_5557-1.jpg
IMG_5560-1.jpg
IMG_5569-1.jpg
IMG_5570-1.jpg

ULost2

You cannot beat WA for wild flowers. My camera is over there ATM; while I'm stuck here. When driving to the wa north each week I can clearly remember watching how the line of wild flowers moved further south each week. And it was a rather distinct line ; sort of there are flowers then there are none
These are oldies
wild growing pretty weed [broken hill]

1210--20
by Ian Browne, on Flickr
another weed ............ not sure now; maybe a native that can kill live stock [broken hill]

1209--16
by Ian Browne, on Flickr
no need to say [broken hill

1110--60-2
by Ian Browne, on Flickr
sturt desert pea [broken hill] Apparently to get these to grow from seed you need heat the seed as per a bush fire

1110--50-2
by Ian Browne, on Flickr

Better have a look locally for some new and better pics. Been wet enough to get plenty of flowers although we missed all the big rain of the last few weeks though

Aaron Schubert

Great pics! They are saying its WA's best wildflower season in about 10 years; so will have to get out and check them out!

Aaron

oldlux

Yeah the flora diversity up there is amazing I reckon, when I did the CSR there were these little trees, only about a foot or so high and I kept meaning to get a photo of them but alas I moved out of their range before doing so. They were like bonsai trees and I have no clue what species they were, any clues?

tadpole

Driving from Perth to Leinster a few weeks ago there were everlastings as far as the eye could see from just north of Wubin, up to Paynes Find and then most of the way across to Sandstone. Pretty impressive.

greysrigging

I've noticed that Sturts Desert Pea thrives on disturbed ground ie roadside verges etc. Almost impossible to cultivate in the home garden but looks a million dollars on an iron ore tailings dump for some reason.....
IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

The Mulla Mulla is the same, if the hand of man disturbes the soil, the Mulla Mulla takes full advantage.
IMG_0617.JPG

Dunno what this one is called, but the flowers look similar to bush tomato.
IMG_0619.JPG

greysrigging

Sometimes what we think are wildflowers are in fact noxious weeds
This one is called Ruby Dock, photographed at Alice Springs in 2010. It thrives in arid regions and is a declared weed in WA and the NT
67776_171465236203587_5327035_n.jpg

And this evil bastard is called Harrisia Cactus....pretty flower that infests the countryside west of Towoomba.
12346509_1221789974504436_8272918441172490937_n.jpg

12342305_1221789977837769_8709704503809020796_n.jpg
12347735_1221789971171103_8144731673334766430_n.jpg

BIGCOL

I meant to get back to you on the names of these plants Rick, I'm a bit of an amateur botany nut as well as other things. The first is indeed native Tetratheca Ciliata, I think its common name is Pink Bells. You can see it as close to Melbourne as Warrandyte. The second pic is of Victoria's floral emblem Epacaris Impressa commonly called the Common or Pink Heath, yours is the white form and the last pic is I think Acacia Dealbata, the Silver Wattle. There is a Black Wattle that is similar but you have to look closely at the leaves to tell them apart.
Lovely pics Jean.

Col.

PS Flora not Fauna Ha!

Spooner

Lovely pics Jean.
Thank you for the names of the plants. I like to know what I am looking at, but didn't know where to start. The Common Heath I knew and am amazed at the wide variety of colours that we see of the Pink Heath, from pale pink, to almost magenta (around Walhalla). Is the Black Wattle the one that is from the Blackwood tree? or am I on the wrong track!
I will be looking for more flowers now that the fungi are disappearing back to where they came from. I made up some photo books and had fun researching the names of the fungi. I love taking photo's and really enjoy your beautiful photographs and excellent, detailed trip reports.
Jean (Mrs Spooner)

BIGCOL

Thanks Jean,
A bit of a mutual admiration thing we have going here with you and Rick, it's great to communicate with others who appreciate the same things. The Common heath as you have said comes in many colours, the deep red is one of my favourites. The Blackwood is Acacia Melannoxylon, it is found in damper areas, along creeks etc. It is the largest of all our wattles (grows the tallest), it has a number of common names hence the need to try and remember the latin or botanical name as that never changes Ha! Plus it may impress others !!!!
What is known as the Black Wattle is Acacia Mearnsii, that and the Silver Wattle are fairly similar and one of those is what your third pic is, they can be found on ridges etc like where you took your photo. Hope that is not too confusing but it is good to have a little bit of knowledge, you get so much more enjoyment out of each excursion and discovery.
Regards from Col.

Spooner

Thank You again, I did google the Black Wattle - Blackwood tree and it is the Blackwood tree. I spent time in Tasmania and did the Furniture design course at Tas Uni, so I am interested in the timber species as well.
Looks like this is another excuse to add to my book collection - Wildflowers of Victoria. More research.
Regards Jean.