Wildflowers

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Variable Prickly Grevillea ( Grevillea Aquifolium )
Also sometimes called Holly Grevillea or Toothbrush Grevillea
I wonder if they'll grow here. I think our garden needs one of these interesting looking natives. I might have to hassle the local nursery for some info.

Great photos by the way.:)

Spooner

I wonder if they'll grow here. I think our garden needs one of these interesting looking natives. I might have to hassle the local nursery for some info.

Great photos by the way.:)
They must like sandy soil by the look of it. We have never seen them before around home area.
Jean is mad on growing different Grevillea and Correa varieties at home. Grevillea bushes and trees are great for attracting native birds and bees.
Correa's you can grow from cuttings collected in the bush , you just have to be careful not to overwater them.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Rather than start a tree photo thread ( might later), I saw this tree up at Freeburg, near Bright, in the High Country.
What is it and can I eat the "beans"?
20170325_105241_000.jpg

Spooner

Rather than start a tree photo thread ( might later), I saw this tree up at Freeburg, near Bright, in the High Country.
What is it and can I eat the "beans"?
Looks like a Catalpa or "Indian Bean" tree looking at the long seed pods.
Cheers Rick

Spooner

Here is a photo of a Flame Heath , taken a couple of weeks ago in the grampians.
Another one we don't see around home , so was a good find :)
Flame Heath1.jpg

Attachments

BIGCOL

G'day Azza, I don't mind being asked about names as long as they are ones I know Ha!

That one is fairly common and is called the Mountain Devil (common name) it's botanical name is Lambertia formosa.

Col.

BIGCOL

Hi Rog,

I reckon I have it, when I first saw your pic I knew I had seen it. My first thought was that it is a weed (non native) but didn't know it's name.
Research tells me it's called Verbena bonariensis, common name Purple-top Verbena. They have a slightly hairy stem with lots of bluey purple flowers, originally from south America (Brazil region).

Col.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
G'day Col. So do you reckon a Brazilian came out on a ski holiday and brought the seed with him?:).

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Jen and I spent ages on our holiday looking around for a wild Sturd Desert Pea, but we found nothing. That was until we asked a ranger at the NPWS office in Tibbuburra where we should look.
He walked us outside and pointed over the fence to what looked like an abandoned building on the adjoining block.
Sure enough, along the side of this house, right in the middle of the overgrown driveway, was exactly what we'd been looking for. It wasn't the setting we were hoping for, but it was wild so I snapped a quick piccie with my phone..

IMG_7061.JPG

It was a much larger plant than I'd envisioned, and very unique indeed.

Jen reckons the flowers look like they have little black butts.:D

Last edited:

nananut

Jen and I spent ages on our holiday looking around for a wild Sturd Desert Pea, but we found nothing. That was until we asked a ranger at the NPWS office in Tibbuburra where we should look.
He walked us outside and pointed over the fence to what looked like an abandoned building on the adjoining block.
Sure enough, along the side of this house, right in the middle of the overgrown driveway, was exactly what we'd been looking for. It wasn't the setting we were hoping for, but it was wild..

View attachment 48748

It was a much larger plant than I'd envisioned, and very unique indeed.

Jen reckons the flowers look like they have little black butts.:D
We found lots of patches of them in the East Pilbara in the first week of July. The tour guide we were following said he has never seen so many flowers blooming at that time of the year. We are going to have a fantastic wildflower season here in the West. Can't wait for this weekend to have a look.
IMG_2777-1.jpg
IMG_2787-1.jpg