Wild dogs

cam04

Not to mention those damn drop bears...lol.

I guess I've been lucky. Heard many a dingo howl (some very close by) and watched their cunning antics around the camper at Dalhousie, but I've never had one come to close to me in my swag/camp (that I'm aware of anyway). Dingoes dont faze me too much, they dont like you being aggressive back at them, but the mongrel wild dog cant be trusted and has balls of steel. Hopefully I never have that encounter.
I thought that about dingos too until I saw them change to kill mode against 3 adult humans - they are not the least bit afraid of humans when they decide to end the games and get serious. It was an eye opener.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Part of the Vic Gov website states the following five suggestions under "General Information".
How would the first four suggestions work if wild dogs are coming at you?????
Can someone confirm that the fifth management practice listed, that is, "appropriate animal husbandry", means "Shooting them".?
Bloody hell, is that the PC brigade infiltrating the Government Departments.
What about euthanize, put them down, lay them to rest, lay them to sleep, send to doggie heaven, end their lives ???? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Fair dinkum.
Just say bloody shoot them.

General information
Foxes and wild dogs are 'declared' established pest animals in Victoria. They cannot be eradicated from the state and require ongoing management by all public and private landowners.

Effective fox and wild dog management requires an integrated approach utilising all suitable management practices including:

• poison baiting
  • trapping
  • exclusion fencing
  • fumigation
  • appropriate animal husbandry.
Hunting can play an important role in supporting an integrated management approach

Triton14

Part of the Vic Gov website states the following five suggestions under "General Information".
How would the first four suggestions work if wild dogs are coming at you?????
Can someone confirm that the fifth management practice listed, that is, "appropriate animal husbandry", means "Shooting them".?
Bloody hell, is that the PC brigade infiltrating the Government Departments.
What about euthanize, put them down, lay them to rest, lay them to sleep, send to doggie heaven, end their lives ???? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Fair dinkum.
Just say bloody shoot them.

General information
Foxes and wild dogs are 'declared' established pest animals in Victoria. They cannot be eradicated from the state and require ongoing management by all public and private landowners.

Effective fox and wild dog management requires an integrated approach utilising all suitable management practices including:

• poison baiting
  • trapping
  • exclusion fencing
  • fumigation
  • appropriate animal husbandry.
Hunting can play an important role in supporting an integrated management approach

Well since 1996 no government will ever admit that a recreational hunters will ever be a solution to any feral pest control measure.

If they did they might have to be open to the possibility of giving our semi auto's back & they could never hear of that.

So as usual any language spoken or written is in 'green' terms so as not to offend the general populous who know sfa about that is happening in rural Australia

John U

I’m happy with the gun laws as they are. History has shown them to be effective in preventing humans killing other humans on a large scale. Although it seems a sawn off pump action might be handy on some very rare occasions in the bush.
My shooting was never that good. No chance against the bunnies with a bolt action.22.

Think you’ll find the greens know a bit about the bush and about managing pests. Facts based policy.

In fact it looks just as likely that the greens will say ‘shoot the *^^!$s’ as the next bloke, it’s just that they want professionals doing it so the it’s done effectively and safely.

peterfermtech

"
In fact it looks just as likely that the greens will say ‘shoot the *^^!$s’ as the next bloke,

There is currently very, very little research being done in Victoria into new methods of controlling invasive species - especially non-lethal and humane methods"
Sorry but which line?
Maybe they plan on sitting in a circle singing kumbaya and the invasive species will just go away.

John U

"

There is currently very, very little research being done in Victoria into new methods of controlling invasive species - especially non-lethal and humane methods"
Sorry but which line?
Maybe they plan on sitting in a circle singing kumbaya and the invasive species will just go away.
From the first link.
Greens on feral horses
'They would achieve this reduction using all humane methods currently available, including trapping, rehoming, mustering, and ground-based and aerial shooting. '

LNP on feral horses.
'This month, Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the government would “immediately” reduce horse numbers by 50%, through trapping, rehoming, fertility control, and relocating horses to “less sensitive” areas.'

Pretty sure the LNP are the ones 'singing kumbaya' here, and to the detriment of the environment.

Triton14

I’m happy with the gun laws as they are. History has shown them to be effective in preventing humans killing other humans on a large scale. Although it seems a sawn off pump action might be handy on some very rare occasions in the bush.
My shooting was never that good. No chance against the bunnies with a bolt action.22.

Think you’ll find the greens know a bit about the bush and about managing pests. Facts based policy.

In fact it looks just as likely that the greens will say ‘shoot the *^^!$s’ as the next bloke, it’s just that they want professionals doing it so the it’s done effectively and safely.

Sorry John your entitled to your opinion but clearly you have no idea what your talking about if you think it would be ok to use "Sawn off pump action shotgun", they are the preferred weapon of criminals & bikey gangs not law abiding firearms owners!
Modifying any firearm in such a way would make it a prohibited weapon!

Even if you didnt "saw" of the end of the barrel you would want to make sure you have a category C or category D licence for that pump action otherwise you will find yourself looking at the outside between the bars in the windows.

On the greens, you do realise that if they got their way your 4WD would end up being just a soccer mums car, they have always wanted to close of Australia to access any area that has a tree.

Not only that they wanted to prohibit fishing from the shoreline & create 27 new marine sanctuaries up & down the nsw coast.
Obvioulsy this was trying to be legislated by the NSW Gov but as usual in a deal with the greens to pass other policy.

The greens pretty much stand for an erossion of your rights as an Australian just to breath!!

cam04

I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t read it myself. That first link is an eye opener. Never assume.....

John U

Sorry John your entitled to your opinion but clearly you have no idea what your talking about if you think it would be ok to use "Sawn off pump action shotgun", they are the preferred weapon of criminals & bikey gangs not law abiding firearms owners!
Modifying any firearm in such a way would make it a prohibited weapon!

Even if you didnt "saw" of the end of the barrel you would want to make sure you have a category C or category D licence for that pump action otherwise you will find yourself looking at the outside between the bars in the windows.

On the greens, you do realise that if they got their way your 4WD would end up being just a soccer mums car, they have always wanted to close of Australia to access any area that has a tree.

Not only that they wanted to prohibit fishing from the shoreline & create 27 new marine sanctuaries up & down the nsw coast.
Obvioulsy this was trying to be legislated by the NSW Gov but as usual in a deal with the greens to pass other policy.

The greens pretty much stand for an erossion of your rights as an Australian just to breath!!
Hi Triton, I'm aware that a modified weapon like a sawn off is illegal, and has been illegal since prior to the Howard government amendments. I am also aware that the Howard government amendments made owning a rapid firing gun like a pump action illegal to most people. I did not state that I was going to acquire a sawn off pump action shotty. It was meant to be a joke as the vision of being alone in the bush surrounded by a pack of hounds from hell was starting to sound a bit apocalyptic. I wasn't thinking about sensitivities about this. Noted for future posting.

Erosion of rights? I reckon the Greens are probably backing the majority of Australians in protecting their rights. The current federal govt have eroded quite a few of our rights. I can't find out much about the new trolling laws implemented yesterday but I'm blown away that these have been passed, while parliament isn't sitting, and appear to not have been debated in parliament. My fear is these laws will be used to silence our right to criticise the actions of the government. A significant erosion of our rights.

My response to you is in relation to the below in which you appear to be insinuating that greens don't know about anything happening in the bush and don't know anything about the bush. I am pretty new to 4wding so I am unaware of the erosion of access. I'd be keen to know more about it if you could provide some links to read.
So as usual any language spoken or written is in 'green' terms so as not to offend the general populous who know sfa about that is happening in rural Australia

I'd consider myself a green. To me that means sustainable and respectful use of the bush. Not locking it away, not destroying it, maintaining the existence of the species that are currently there, not wiping species out by using them or their environments in an unsustainable manner. I could be wrong but I reckon the majority of members here would agree with that.

Triton14

My response to you is in relation to the below in which you appear to be insinuating that greens don't know about anything happening in the bush and don't know anything about the bush. I am pretty new to 4wding so I am unaware of the erosion of access. I'd be keen to know more about it if you could provide some links to read.
You had better read that part of my post again as thats not what I said!

Mind you I do think they are not really in touch with reality ;)

Also Im not wasting my time looking for things to show you about your supported party's history or track record of persuing closing down access to land or sea, stop hazzard recuction burns etc but its there if you want to google it.

I will agree we do need to do more to preserve areas & reduce our carbon footpprint but if your just going to lock the gate & let no one use it then whats it there for but to increase the populations of feral animals & there for decreasing & endangering native species & increasing noxious weeds!

However I will show you on here one tread from years ago & as far as I am aware nothing has changed for the better in the green party's attitude.

Vote Shooters, Fishers & Farmers party ;):);):):D:D

John U

You had better read that part of my post again as thats not what I said!

Mind you I do think they are not really in touch with reality ;)

Also Im not wasting my time looking for things to show you about your supported party's history or track record of persuing closing down access to land or sea, stop hazzard recuction burns etc but its there if you want to google it.

I will agree we do need to do more to preserve areas & reduce our carbon footpprint but if your just going to lock the gate & let no one use it then whats it there for but to increase the populations of feral animals & there for decreasing & endangering native species & increasing noxious weeds!

However I will show you on here one tread from years ago & as far as I am aware nothing has changed for the better in the green party's attitude.

Vote Shooters, Fishers & Farmers party ;):);):):D:D
Sorry, replace ‘bush’ with ‘rural Australia’. Having grown up in the bush I regularly hear city folk use them interchangeably. Looks like my time in the city has seen me adopt that.

I had a look through the linked thread. There was something in there about greens wanting to close tracks in the mid 1980’s. The link within the thread that was meant to be about more recent efforts to close tracks was broken.

Again more ignorance. Never was. A barrel could be no shorter than 16 inches prior to the changes.
Peter, not sure what your posting there. I think you’ve misread what I posted.

Triton14

Again more ignorance. Never was. A barrel could be no shorter than 16 inches prior to the changes.

Yeh it gets complicated as all states have different rules.
For NSW it also about both barrel & stock so an overall lenght as well.

This is the current NSW regs-
152 Shortened firearms
(1) For the purposes of section 62 (2) of the Act, a firearm is to be considered as having been shortened only if—
(a) in the case of a firearm that is a smooth bore shotgun or a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle—
(i) the length of the barrel, or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 45 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, and
(b) in the case of a firearm that is a rifle, not being a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle or an air gun—
(i) the length of the barrel or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 40 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
(iii) the overall length is less than 80 cm, and
(c) in the case of a firearm that is an air gun—
(i) the length of the barrel is less than 30 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
(iii) the overall length is less than 70 cm.
(2) For the purposes of this clause, the length of the stock of a firearm, if the firearm has one trigger, is to be measured from the front of the trigger or, if the firearm has more than one trigger, from the front of the rearmost trigger to the centre of the rear of the butt plate or stock.
(3) In this clause, firearm does not include a pistol or blank fire pistol.
(4) This clause does not apply to such kinds of firearms as the Commissioner determines.

Anyway back to the OP, if I am camping secluded which is most of the time & sleep with either my cold steel machette or leatherneck tanto blade in the swag.

Its for anything that growls or goes bump in the night like Ivan Milat or Mick Taylor from Wolf Creek :p

callmejoe

Man, i just sleep naked, me jumping out of the swag or the tent on wheels will scary just about anything away.

But really, I have done plenty of camping by myself and not once felt the need to sleep with a protection tool. I have had wild dog enter my camp before, growling and putting on a show but I never felt "worried". Lets be real, the chances of it happening are that slim for me anyway I'll take the chance and just carry on as I always do and chill.

Triton14

Man, i just sleep naked, me jumping out of the swag or the tent on wheels will scary just about anything away.

But really, I have done plenty of camping by myself and not once felt the need to sleep with a protection tool. I have had wild dog enter my camp before, growling and putting on a show but I never felt "worried". Lets be real, the chances of it happening are that slim for me anyway I'll take the chance and just carry on as I always do and chill.

Itchys50

I think I would rather deal with a couple of wild dogs than whatever left this print in the soft mud in the Strathbogie Ranges. I of the pictures has a geologists pick to the left for size comparison! There are no claw marks and the only animal I know that can retract it's claws are a cat! I think this is a big cat print!(I mean like a Puma, Not a feral cat)

Attachments

• IMG_20170518_133811_346.jpg
    IMG_20170518_133811_346.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20170518_133820_595.jpg
    IMG_20170518_133820_595.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
I think I would rather deal with a couple of wild dogs than whatever left this print in the soft mud in the Strathbogie Ranges. I of the pictures has a geologists pick to the left for size comparison! There are no claw marks and the only animal I know that can retract it's claws are a cat! I think this is a big cat print!(I mean like a Puma, Not a feral cat)
Interesting.
I camped and hunted up at Stratbogie Ranges many times back in the eighties. two of my wife's families ran sheep and cattle on properties up there. We always kept quiet about the big cat so as not to attract people to the area.
I have seen and heard first hand from the farmers of what happened to the stock up there, especially the cattle.
Boho South 1968 (3).jpg