why is Australia so behind the times?

dno67

Talking about being behind. l had a few quotes for solar at the start of the year, turns out regardless of what l put on my roof they will only allow me a feed in of 1.8kw on each phase. So they will pay me for 3.6kw daily, we have 2 phases. Yet we average 15kw daily. Iol
So much for trying to do green, economically.
Bewards, yes yes yes.

Last edited:

CTL

There is a limit to what the electrical distribution system can accept, and that limit is localised, so maybe your neighbourhood is at near saturation for solar input. Extremely costly to upgrade (everybody in the community must contribute to the upgrade costs) verses any potential community benefit. But I guess it is the government’s fault.

dno67

There is a limit to what the electrical distribution system can accept, and that limit is localised, so maybe your neighbourhood is at near saturation for solar input. Extremely costly to upgrade (everybody in the community must contribute to the upgrade costs) verses any potential community benefit. But I guess it is the government’s fault.
I was informed the neighbors could not feed more than half of what the transformer on the pole is rated, but yes large scale dairy area with a huge amount of "older" systems feeding into the infrastructure. Also adding to the already very high line voltage. 256v when tested on the day.

peterfermtech

Eggg Zackery.

People here are incorrectly saying the water is contaminated. It isn't contaminated. It just hasn't been sanitised to keep the lame happy.
If it was so dire why wasn't anything announced on the vic emergency app until after 11:00 AM and nothing on the SE water site until after 3:00 PM (text at 3:32 PM)?
I guess there will be a psychiatric outbreak of dysentery now - even in the suburbs not affected.

peterfermtech

Yep! Same issue that is often discussed here. Ya gunna needa bigga wire

Chatty

I have a couple of problems with that article. It refers to our "low quality" fuels - when almost all our fuel is refined overseas (Singapore?) and imported, so we are using the same fuel as a lot of overseas countries that support these new vehicles. On the subject of fuel quality, we get the same engines here that they get overseas, so that argument really doesn't hold water.
Fuel economy standards is also a dodgy argument - ok, maybe our standards are out of date. Maybe. But, they are the same for all vehicles, so the most economic vehicles under an overseas standard will still be the most economic under our standard. Maybe a different number, but the same relativity.
As for a plan to move away from fossil fuels - Australia is pretty unique in that we travel long distances with little to no services over those long distances. Liquid fuels are still the go-to option for that scenario.
Maybe we could do more about reducing liquid fuel usage in our cities - but I certainly can't afford to have one vehicle for city use and another for country use, so I'm limited to my dinosaur burner and public transport where possible.

Chatty

Talking about being behind. l had a few quotes for solar at the start of the year, turns out regardless of what l put on my roof they will only allow me a feed in of 1.8kw on each phase. So they will pay me for 3.6kw daily, we have 2 phases. Yet we average 15kw daily. Iol
So much for trying to do green, economically.
Bewards, yes yes yes.
The problem is the capacity of our old electricity networks to support massive amounts of solar feed. They simply weren't designed or built for that scenario.
People installing solar don't want to pay to upgrade the network for their benefit.
People without solar shouldn't be slugged to upgrade the network for the benefit of the lucky ones with solar.

In reality the solution will be for houses with solar to install batteries to either support the house usage over the entire day, or spread the network feed in over a 24 hour period.
My advice for you is - install a battery if you don't like being limited to 3.6kW.

SirDrinksalott

Maybe we could do more about reducing liquid fuel usage in our cities - but I certainly can't afford to have one vehicle for city use and another for country use, so I'm limited to my dinosaur burner and public transport where possible.

Isnt that one of the solutions, you dont own the cars, the electricity company own them, you just phone them up for a lift, you may be sharing but the at least the robot driver doesnt have BO and ask too many questions.

typhoeus

Isnt that one of the solutions, you dont own the cars, the electricity company own them, you just phone them up for a lift, you may be sharing but the at least the robot driver doesnt have BO and ask too many questions.
Like the robot taxi driver in ""total recall" ?:)

Chatty

Yeah, that's not going to work when I need to tow the van to Karratha for work, and from there to Tom Price, then to Hedland, back to Perth, across to Katherine - all for work.
And in the city, how many robot cars are going to take our dog? And cope with the 6 different stops on a Saturday morning?

peterfermtech

The meek shall inherit the earth.
Meek - quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive.
I reckon that's who the sales pitch is aimed at. Doesn't anyone stop and think "I don't really need that"?
I don't think the meek will inherit the earth but the earth will be full of their discarded junk and I think the messiah selling this shangri la is the bloke currently exhibiting his prowess over gravity.

mikehzz

The meek shall inherit the earth.
Meek - quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive.
I reckon that's who the sales pitch is aimed at. Doesn't anyone stop and think "I don't really need that"?
I don't think the meek will inherit the earth but the earth will be full of their discarded junk and I think the messiah selling this shangri la is the bloke currently exhibiting his prowess over gravity.
Blessed are the meek....

peterfermtech

The meek don't want it !! ;):p
But they are buying it. Phones with 25 different cameras, cars that beep when you get near a white line, little boxes that open the curtains for you. Really? What are we missing out on? Where is all this crap going to end up when the next phone that has 26 cameras comes out?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
But they are buying it. Phones with 25 different cameras, cars that beep when you get near a white line, little boxes that open the curtains for you. Really? What are we missing out on? Where is all this crap going to end up when the next phone that has 26 cameras comes out?

"Stuff".
We are now a well developed consumer society, mostly disposable products in a World being destroyed by the products and consumer behaviour.
I know a few people like that, too much sheet in their lives, half of it they forget they own.

SirDrinksalott

Yeah, that's not going to work when I need to tow the van to Karratha for work, and from there to Tom Price, then to Hedland, back to Perth, across to Katherine - all for work.
And in the city, how many robot cars are going to take our dog? And cope with the 6 different stops on a Saturday morning?

Oh I didn't say I believe in it or it will work, its not everyone and there is no silver bullet just yet. Ps. their are dog friendly Ubers available.

One of the concepts of the electric vehicle is part of a smart distributed grid.

Im not sure of the maths but lets just say 1 coal fired turbine is 750MW, 1 Tesla has a 100 MW so 7500 cars equals 1 coal turbine.

So lets say SirDrinks Energy owns 15,000 of these cars in Sydney, modified with solar panels on the roof and they are used to run around all day taking paying passengers, not only are they paying for themselves, but if they finish the day with a 50% load, they can all be plugged into to grid to use the remaining energy taking out a coal turbine.

Its fag packet maths but its a theory or concept of a potential reduction in CO2 emissions.

But please understand, this does not take into account the manufacturing process, it doesnt take into account the time when the sun doesnt shine and there is high electricity demand and all the vehicles have to kick out their passengers and plug into the grid to support it and numerous other variables, which is why I am not pushing this concept as a viable solution or part solution.