why is Australia so behind the times?

discomatt

The build quality and panel gaps was an issue for the very first of Teslar productions well over 10 years aho, that is certainly not the case with the new models. It is like saying all Jap built cars are rust bucket crap because they were when they first hit Australian markets, yep there is a bigger time difference 40 years compared to 12 but the point is still the same. All the new Teslar car I have seen have looked to be very good quality, a guy I knew who bought one about 5 years ago was very happy with it

G_ute

We have a hell of a lot more solar power potential than those Nordic counties and coal if you like. At least electrifiying a large part of our fleet (majority being in the cities) would mean we would be less vulnerable if our 2 weeks of fuel reserve ran out.
Maybe PV will get so cheap one day that we could have huge solar farms in the desert just making synthentic fuels - even if that process is inefficient.

cam04

We have a hell of a lot more solar power potential than those Nordic counties and coal if you like. At least electrifiying a large part of our fleet (majority being in the cities) would mean we would be less vulnerable if our 2 weeks of fuel reserve ran out.
Maybe PV will get so cheap one day that we could have huge solar farms in the desert just making synthentic fuels - even if that process is inefficient.
Places like broken hill already have monstrous PV plants. Then you need storage - enter the south Oz Tesla battery debarcle. If it isn’t supplying base load it is just fluff unfortunately.

G_ute

Places like broken hill already have monstrous PV plants. Then you need storage - enter the south Oz Tesla battery debarcle. If it isn’t supplying base load it is just fluff unfortunately.
Hydrogen is storage. Difficult to transport and store though.

shanegtr

Hydrogen is storage. Difficult to transport and store though.
Thats where CSIRO's ammonia to hydrogen membrane tech could help out. Ammonia is a lot easier to compress and liquefy than hydrogen.
The mine site I'm working at has been running off diesel power generation for the 15 odd years that its been up and running. They are now in the process of getting a solar farm built that's big enough to power the mine 100% during the daylight and then using gas turbines for the night time.

discomatt

We have a long standing member of this site that is an engineer who is working on the very difficult issues involving hydrogen, hopefully he will chime in

peterfermtech

Whilst making a lot of sense ,sadly this doesn't fit into the greens agenda.

discomatt

Whilst making a lot of sense ,sadly this doesn't fit into the greens agenda.
What scientist are always right, how on earth can they disagree with each other...
Isn't the basis of most arguments/discussions here based on scientific facts and the whole rebuttal when anyone dares question science and main stream media.
The more science learns and develops the more they realize they got it wrong before and the more they know they realize there is even more that they do not know.
Tim Flannery and his scare mongering 10 years ago is an perfect example of how wrong they can be

mikehzz

It seems like people are saying that the Greens with 10% of the primary vote and only 1 seat in parliament are making policy, while a party like the Nationals with only 4.5% of the primary vote, but 15 seats in parliament, plus having the deputy Prime Minister, can't affect the evil Green agenda? The world is a crazy place on paper.

peterfermtech

It seems like people are saying that the Greens with 10% of the primary vote and only 1 seat in parliament are making policy, while a party like the Nationals with only 4.5% of the primary vote, but 15 seats in parliament, plus having the deputy Prime Minister, can't affect the evil Green agenda? The world is a crazy place on paper.
I think that the Nationals have learnt that seats on the government side are a lot more comfortable than the ones on the other side.

boobook

That 1 seat holds a lot of power on what goes on if their vote passes or fails a piece of legislation. The 15 seats will nearly always vote with the government and go to make up the numbers for a split parliament so they get zero say.

It's a crap system.

discomatt

Australia is the best country on earth with freedom and opportunity for all
as I sit here I am unable to leave my home except for food or medical reasons I am only allowed out for 1 hour a day for exercise and I am not allowed to venture more than 5 km. Yep must wear a mask at all times regardless of whether I can even see another human or not. Some people try to protest against the draconian laws but they get demonised by the media and brutalised by the police. On top of all that now we can not drink the water because it may be contaminated, we have no power due to 10 minute of wind that will take up to 5 days to restore, the phone and internet now does not work so I have to rely on Telstra which also does not work inside so I must go outside to stay in contact with anyone else in society. Had better get that mask I must wear! The bills continue to roll in and the ATO continue to put there hand out with set dead lines but alas I am not allowed to go to work with no dead line on that.
We must trust the experts they have it all under control I am so lucky to live in such a well organised society
Sorry forgot to mention we also are not allowed out after 8pm because um well I have no idea but I am sure the experts know why we are at a heightened risk after dark

mikehzz

Australia is the best country on earth with freedom and opportunity for all
as I sit here I am unable to leave my home except for food or medical reasons I am only allowed out for 1 hour a day for exercise and I am not allowed to venture more than 5 km. Yep must wear a mask at all times regardless of whether I can even see another human or not. Some people try to protest against the draconian laws but they get demonised by the media and brutalised by the police. On top of all that now we can not drink the water because it may be contaminated, we have no power due to 10 minute of wind that will take up to 5 days to restore, the phone and internet now does not work so I have to rely on Telstra which also does not work inside so I must go outside to stay in contact with anyone else in society. Had better get that mask I must wear! The bills continue to roll in and the ATO continue to put there hand out with set dead lines but alas I am not allowed to go to work with no dead line on that.
We must trust the experts they have it all under control I am so lucky to live in such a well organised society
Sorry forgot to mention we also are not allowed out after 8pm because um well I have no idea but I am sure the experts know why we are at a heightened risk after dark
Mate, Telstra doesn't work anywhere lately. Something has gone wrong with some parts of their network, complaints are through the roof.

peterfermtech

What a soft c@ck nation we have become. Melbourne didn't even have a water treatment plant until 1980 and now we have to boil our water.o_O

Attachments

• WaterTreatment.png
    WaterTreatment.png
    472.2 KB · Views: 71

dno67

I know this feeling.
1st world problems and all within a 100km radius of the CBD.
Laughable, if it wasn't effecting your life.
"Hello" government...!