why is Australia so behind the times?

cam04

whelm
[wɛlm]

VERB
whelmed (past tense) · whelmed (past participle)

1. engulf, submerge, or bury.
    "a swimmer whelmed in a raging storm"
    synonyms:
    befall · happen to · come upon · hit · strike · fall on · overwhelm · overpower · overcome · be visited on · engulf · sweep over · take by surprise · surprise · catch unawares · catch unprepared · catch off guard · betide
    • well up or flow.
      "the brook whelmed up from its source"
well that's something I didn't know until today.

Grippy

This whole transport change malarkey is fine in a closely packed city, in the spread out suburbs of Australia it's a diff story, for my 10 min drive to work it'd be 40 mins and 2 buses or ride a bike and I could be stuffed if I'm doing that on a scorching 45° day!

cam04

This whole transport change malarkey is fine in a closely packed city, in the spread out suburbs of Australia it's a diff story, for my 10 min drive to work it'd be 40 mins and 2 buses or ride a bike and I could be stuffed if I'm doing that on a scorching 45° day!
Yes, our geography, combined with low population density means that this stuff cannot be mandated with broad strokes by the government such as occurs in smaller, compact Nordic states (as mentioned here before) who have the topography to be able to turn green power on and off at will (mother Nature puts snow on mountains, they simply build hydro stations with an endless baseload fuel supply that fish can swim in)- not to mention a future fund worth $1 trillion (thats 1000 billion) which was created solely on dirty oil exports, which gives the government the clout to make any decision they dam well like, AND fund it. They have 98% renewable power based solely on geography and funded by non renewables. The notion of Sovereign Wealth seems to be muddled in this country where we pay foreign multinationals to dig it up - it is the people's natural resource. I have no doubt we can run infrastructure for electric transport in the cities, but as power requirements grow and lobbyists demand that coal and nuclear are phased out, where does that leave a country which is flat as a shit carter's hat?
If I was in charge of that portfolio, the pressure to get it right for all consumers might whelm me...... ;)

Norway EV incentives:

25% VAT (GST) - none
non recurring costs and charges - none
registration fees - none
ferry fees - none
parking fees - none
free recharging literally everywhere - yes
allowed to use all bus lanes - yes

Who the hell wouldn't buy one?

Pre coffee morning rant - done.

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

It's funny how Dick Tracy had an Air Car and a Smart Watch but still used a Thompson machine gun, handcuffs and drove a 1936 Ford.

AirCar.jpg

mikehzz

Yes, our geography, combined with low population density means that this stuff cannot be mandated with broad strokes by the government such as occurs in smaller, compact Nordic states (as mentioned here before) who have the topography to be able to turn green power on and off at will (mother Nature puts snow on mountains, they simply build hydro stations with an endless baseload fuel supply that fish can swim in)- not to mention a future fund worth $1 trillion (thats 1000 billion) which was created solely on dirty oil exports, which gives the government the clout to make any decision they dam well like, AND fund it. They have 98% renewable power based solely on geography and funded by non renewables. The notion of Sovereign Wealth seems to be muddled in this country where we pay foreign multinationals to dig it up - it is the people's natural resource. I have no doubt we can run infrastructure for electric transport in the cities, but as power requirements grow and lobbyists demand that coal and nuclear are phased out, where does that leave a country which is flat as a shit carter's hat?
If I was in charge of that portfolio, the pressure to get it right for all consumers might whelm me...... ;)

Norway EV incentives:

25% VAT (GST) - none
non recurring costs and charges - none
registration fees - none
ferry fees - none
parking fees - none
free recharging literally everywhere - yes
allowed to use all bus lanes - yes

Who the hell wouldn't buy one?

Pre coffee morning rant - done.
He said whelm....

shanegtr

What really surprises me is that hybrid cars have not really gained much popularity, Im sure the original Prius is to blame as it was such a bland car :p . Out of all the mainstream manufacturers its really only Toyota (3 prius versions, corolla, camary & Rav4), Mitsubishi (outlander PHEV) and Hyundai (ioniq) - there's a handful of other models available, but not mainstream brands. I actually really like the tech idea of harnessing the energy of slowing a car down and then reusing it during acceleration. Obviously the Taxi industry got onto the hybrids, but apart from that they are just not as popular in private hands - The Rav4 being an exception to the rule

dno67

What really surprises me is that hybrid cars have not really gained much popularity, Im sure the original Prius is to blame as it was such a bland car :p . Out of all the mainstream manufacturers its really only Toyota (3 prius versions, corolla, camary & Rav4), Mitsubishi (outlander PHEV) and Hyundai (ioniq) - there's a handful of other models available, but not mainstream brands. I actually really like the tech idea of harnessing the energy of slowing a car down and then reusing it during acceleration. Obviously the Taxi industry got onto the hybrids, but apart from that they are just not as popular in private hands - The Rav4 being an exception to the rule
We seem to accept being screwed by the petroleum companies, as its been a long slow process that was once considered cheap. I don't think people feel the same way or particularly trust the power supply providers and the games they play re power suply charges. I recon this has a fair bit to do with EV uptake.

dirvine

Forgot Tesla? 80% Claim of all EV sales in Australia. Damn expensive but a great car to drive, and is it fast?
See this:

boobook

No I didnt as I was talking about hybrids, not EV's. And I wouldnt consider tesla a mainstream brand either

Next time you see a Tesla parked in the street, go check our how bad the joins in the panels are. It's like a poorly repaired write off with gaps between panels of 3 -4 mm at one end and 9 - 10 mm at the other.

They absolutely fly though.

Albynsw

Porsche has its new EV out which will cause some controversy amongst the purists having the performance without the flat 6 soundtrack

discomatt

Next time you see a Tesla parked in the street, go check our how bad the joins in the panels are. It's like a poorly repaired write off with gaps between panels of 3 -4 mm at one end and 9 - 10 mm at the other.

They absolutely fly though.
You have mentioned this before, since then I have looked at 2 , with 13 years as a panel beater I could not fault either with a quick look.
I think the one you have seen is either a one off poor build quality or it has been in an accident and had a poor quality repair

Warby

You have mentioned this before, since then I have looked at 2 , with 13 years as a panel beater I could not fault either with a quick look.
I think the one you have seen is either a one off poor build quality or it has been in an accident and had a poor quality repair
Boobook isn't the only one I've heard this from... I've heard it quite a few times. I've never checked one out up close in person for myself though, or gone looking for anything other than 2nd/3rd hand anecdotes.

dno67

Boobook isn't the only one I've heard this from... I've heard it quite a few times. I've never checked one out up close in person for myself though, or gone looking for anything other than 2nd/3rd hand anecdotes.
They may have picked there game up, aa few few years back there were plenty of people making similar comments on the internet.
Personally the ones lve looked at, also looked OK.

CTL

I remember when the above statement would have been referring to Australian made cars compared to Japanese or German made vehicles.