why i would never buy a Jeep

boobook

You see, that is the biggest bit of BS about Toyotas out there.
The big companies buy Toyota for one reason and one reason only - they are CHEAP TO BUY.

Now I know you're going to shout me down, but the reality is that Toyota offer massive discounts to the major companies to buy their vehicles - discounts that take the price to 50% or less of normal retail. And those discounts are paid for by the mug private buyers who subscribe to the whole 'Toyota is the only vehicle' universe.

The other manufacturers are happy to not follow down that path.
50% discount. Really?

Try circa 15% to top fleet buyers. Maybe a bit more to mines.

But then Toyota is not alone in this. Almost every manufacturer does exactly the same. At my previous employer, I was eligible for around 10 - 15% from Ford, VW, Mercedes, Toyota, Mistubishi, and half a dozen others. So most manufacturers do go down that path, and to about the same extent from what I have experienced.

Last edited:

smitty_r51

I was going to ask if that is still a thing, and checked for myself, it's insane - worse than a few months ago. Still 140 land cruisers over 150K.

:oops:

At least the tow kit is included.
Yeah but how many are still there from last time you looked. Prices are high but the ones I have been watching on carsales or the local car yards have still got the same units on the forecourt for sale with a 6 figure price

a1bert

I think 50% off retail to miners is quite realistic for all 1 tonne plus vehicles, no taxes, no import duties, straight from the factory (by passing the local sales office), quantity, standard design, achieving sales targets and there must be other reasons
IMHO opinion the 79 series although good is way over priced, they only introduced brakes that work about 2 years ago :)

mikehzz

The big companies buy Toyota for one reason and one reason only - they are CHEAP TO BUY.

Now I know you're going to shout me down, but the reality is that Toyota offer massive discounts to the major companies to buy their vehicles - discounts that take the price to 50% or less of normal retail. And those discounts are paid for by the mug private buyers who subscribe to the whole 'Toyota is the only vehicle' universe.

That's true, a CEO of a company I do work for just got a brand new Prado via the business using some sort of fleet discount for a tick over $50k.

boobook

Well, @Chatty I stand corrected. I never thought the car companies would give 50% discount. I get that there are no taxes, duties etc but that would apply for any brand.

I still don't get it. For a 70 series at $75K. Take off GST of $8K that's - say $66K. So mines are buying them for less than $33K? Even I would buy one for that. Where do I sign?

Last edited:

Chatty

Well, @Chatty I stand corrected. I never thought the car companies would give 50% discount. I get that there are no taxes, duties etc but that would apply for any brand.

I still don't get it. For a 70 series at $75K. Take off GST of $8K that's - say $66K. So mines are buying them for less than $33K? Even I would buy one for that. Where do I sign?
I've seen some invoices, plus internal costing for mine and civil companies, and the discounts are disgusting. It makes you wonder how much profit Toyota are making on retail sales. And then these large companies sell them a couple of years later, totally knackered from the rough usage, for more than they paid for them new.

Yeah, a 70 series for around $35-$40k is most probably at around its realistic price for what it is.

Albynsw

So your telling me that given the chance Mitsubishi, Ford etc etc wouldn’t offer the same discount structure/ strategy ( whatever it is) to get the business? And that Toyota is that hard up for sales that they are almost giving them to the mines?
Of course they would be negotiating a great buy price as they do on all product they purchase and like they would of when they did a brief stint with Ford.
If cheap was the game they would be buying the Chinese utes wouldn’t they?

Oh and the mug punters at the retail end of the market who enjoy high resale value giving them low overall cost of ownership are mugs?
It is irrelevant whether the purchase or resale price is justified in your eyes as the price is the price and the $$$ in your hand tells the story

Just on the purchase price, from what I am hearing from buyers I talk to, Toyota’s are competitively priced to the opposition options except for Landcruisers in the current market so not sure that this Toyota Tax thing is much of a reality for new car buyers

Chatty

@Albynsw - it's not worth trying to convince you on the facts of the matter. You are a dyed-in-the-blue Toyota person and will never hear a word against them. That's fine, that's your choice.

In 4WDs I have owned Toyotas, Fords, a Land Rover, Mitsubishis and I've driven (through work) all of those brands (except the LR) as well as VWs, an Audi plus others.
I reckon I am pretty well experienced across all the brands and I am willing to accept the downsides of all the brands I've owned and extensively driven - including Toyotas.

Albynsw

@Albynsw - it's not worth trying to convince you on the facts of the matter. You are a dyed-in-the-blue Toyota person and will never hear a word against them. That's fine, that's your choice.

In 4WDs I have owned Toyotas, Fords, a Land Rover, Mitsubishis and I've driven (through work) all of those brands (except the LR) as well as VWs, an Audi plus others.
I reckon I am pretty well experienced across all the brands and I am willing to accept the downsides of all the brands I've owned and extensively driven - including Toyotas.

Don’t need to convince me, it is you that is in denial of the prices that Toyota owners are getting for their vehicles. The numbers are not my opinion, they are the facts whether you or I agree with them is irrelevant.

As far as Toyotas go I have no particular interest in them as they are generally dull and boring but I like their 4wds because there is no other option that fits my needs. Of course they have their shortcomings and are far from perfect but there is little to no other choice in that category currently and they are very well supported throughout regional Australia
I have never even owned a non 4WD Toyota so far from a dyed in the wool fanboy

linuxfan66

you got proof of this 50 percent discount?

Albynsw

If Toyota was offering ridiculous fleet discounts that the others wouldn’t consider offering how come all the big car hire companies don’t just have fleets of Toyota’s ? They must be pretty stupid paying more for all the other brands they run in their hire fleets when they have a cheaper option o_O

discomatt

Might have to do an experiment on the alleged value of some 4wds, pretty easy, ring and ask if the car is available you want to have a look, then ring back 2 weeks later and see if its still available. Yep they are there and anyone who thinks the average punter will pay well over 100k for a 200 is as delusional as those who have them in the market. Be my guest its easy to check whats selling and what isn't

a1bert

I think 50% off retail to miners is quite realistic for all 1 tonne plus vehicles, no taxes, no import duties, straight from the factory (by passing the local sales office), quantity, standard design, achieving sales targets and there must be other reasons
IMHO opinion the 79 series although good is way over priced, they only introduced brakes that work about 2 years ago :)
I forgot to mention, there would be a very limited to no warranty as well due to the conditions they are driven in. I can tell you there is approx $2000-$5000 written into the price of a car on purchase to cover warranty (thats why you have to be persistent when claiming warranty faults) I know these figures to be true as a good friend of mine wrote the computer programming for Nissan at their Dandenong office
No one has mentioned the Govts who buy fleet vehicles, drive them for 2-3 years, sell them and make a profit

discomatt

It wouldn’t surprise me that 50% discount was possible, ever seen how cheap 200’s sold for in Bali? About 40 % cheaper in a dealership than here last time I was there

dirvine

Gee I thought this post was about Jeeps. Now morphed into Toyota!! Golly I am sure Boohoo will be disappointed its not morphed into that other brand he loves so much!! FWIW I used to work for a very large charity as their Finance Director. I cannot exactly remember the price we paid for the Camrys we bought (not leased) but I do remember that on trade (3 years) in we always got about $2000 cash back and a new car. These cars never got serviced from the day of purchase unless it was the 1st one that is usually free. That way I saved the charity on running costs. Would I have got more if I had them serviced. The dealer said maybe $1000 more. I am sure the service book was "cooked" for retail sales.

Now can we get back to Jeep bashing please!!!

boobook

Gee I thought this post was about Jeeps. Now morphed into Toyota!! Golly I am sure Boohoo will be disappointed its not morphed into that other brand he loves so much!!

Boohoo's issue is that the topics go off-topic by the same people every time.

My Disco 4 is the best thing ever invented by humans and really really is reliable, or Toyota sucks.

This one is no different. :)

With this line, I do agree.

Now can we get back to Jeep bashing please!!!

Last edited: