why i would never buy a Jeep

boobook

These "why I would never by a Land Rover or Toyota" threads are really entertaining. Watching those two brands rolling down a cliff.....I'm on the edge of my seat. :)

Actually, the whole OT thing is destroying 4x4 earth, it's only useful for banter, bickering, and a source of vaccine bullshit most of the time now.

Albynsw

Actually, the whole OT thing is destroying 4x4 earth, it's only useful for banter, bickering, and a source of vaccine bullshit most of the time now.

I don’t see it as that big a deal as long as everyone remains respectful of each other. The alternative is the somber mood of LCOOL that is a fantastic resource for information but it is like sitting in a library

mikehzz

Off topic doesn't bother me at all. It provides both humourous opportunities and you can watch other people getting hot under the collar over BS bits of nothing. :)

boobook

There you go, admitting Toyota drivers are inherently boring. Lol!

It's not inherent Mike, it's acquired, like meditation. Toyota owners gradually rise to a higher level of 'state of being' aka boriness, through tranquil motoring activity and lack of breakdown distractions.

Discovery owners in comparison are full of harmful 'dopey-phines' from the constant distraction and activity around roadside breakdowns.

:D

mikehzz

It's not inherent Mike, it's acquired, like meditation. Toyota owners gradually rise to a higher level of 'state of being' aka boriness, through tranquil 4wd activity and lack of distractions.

Discovery owners in comparison are full of harmful 'dopey-phines' from the constant distraction and activity around roadside breakdowns.

:D
I do acknowledge that both you and @Albynsw have been beaten into submission by being former LR owners :)

Albynsw

I'm with Mike. There are 4-5 blokes on here who get a bit sensitive at the slightest hint of a mines better than yours comment. A bit of OT banter can make a thread amusing for a bit though. And just to close off, mines better than both of yours.

I quite like that everyone else doesn’t drive a Toyota as I would lose my air of superiority :p

Let’s face it, we can’t all be winners

Chatty

It's not inherent Mike, it's acquired, like meditation. Toyota owners gradually rise to a higher level of 'state of being' aka boriness, through tranquil motoring activity and lack of breakdown distractions.
Actually, Toyota owners gradually sink to a lower level of state-of-being (aka mind numbness) as they realise just how much extra money they've forked out for their vehicle and everything on it, because of the Toyota Tax.

boobook

Actually, Toyota owners gradually sink to a lower level of state-of-being (aka mind numbness) as they realise just how much extra money they've forked out for their vehicle and everything on it, because of the Toyota Tax.
It's a disgrace.

Toyota owners are forced to think about that extra $10K day after day, km after km for half a million km, or 20 years. Unbearable long term torture.

Unless they sell it, and get their Toyota tax premium rebate.

:)

Last edited:

Albynsw

You got that arse about mate. The Toyota is cheap compared to the rest. You have to be rich not to own one
Cost of ownership is low when resale value is 70 ish percent of purchase price compared to 20 to 30 percent for a LR

That’s why the bean counters buy them

Chatty

You got that arse about mate. The Toyota is cheap compared to the rest. You have to be rich not to own one
Cost of ownership is low when resale value is 70 ish percent of purchase price compared to 20 to 30 percent for a LR

It doesn't worry me - I could sell the GMC right now for about $15k more than I paid for it - and that's a conservative estimate.

Albynsw

It doesn't worry me - I could sell the GMC right now for about $15k more than I paid for it - and that's a conservative estimate.
Mate they are selling landcruisers for up to double what they paid for them at the moment. Prices are crazy at the moment

I am more talking when things where “normal”.
I had my Hilux for 5 years from new and put 160k on it and still sold it to an interstate buyer sight unseen for more than you could of bought a brand new Triton for.
A mate buys landcruisers just to tow his boat and keeps them for about 10 years before updating, doesn’t do many k’s as is not a daily driver
Had a 80 then a 100 and then a 200 since I have known him and has nearly always got his money back on them each time.
That makes for cheap ownership of a vehicle

peterfermtech

That's only because another 70% of the purchase price goes into buying after market accessories.

boobook

Chatty

You see, that is the biggest bit of BS about Toyotas out there.
The big companies buy Toyota for one reason and one reason only - they are CHEAP TO BUY.

Now I know you're going to shout me down, but the reality is that Toyota offer massive discounts to the major companies to buy their vehicles - discounts that take the price to 50% or less of normal retail. And those discounts are paid for by the mug private buyers who subscribe to the whole 'Toyota is the only vehicle' universe.

The other manufacturers are happy to not follow down that path.