why i would never buy a Jeep

Colly18

Thanks for the laugh!
Actually, I'd love a Jeep. But with 3 cars already, I've no room for one. Maybe the Colorado will have to go?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Gotta hope no one was in that, maybe got out for a photo op and didn't park up sensibly.
Cam car was lucky they weren't a few seconds more along the track.

Ah, back story in in the YouTube description . . .

"The San Miguel Sheriff’s Office said a 23-year-old woman is seriously hurt after a rollover crash in Telluride. The sheriff’s office said she was in a Jeep with her 22-year-old male friend on Bridal Veil Rd. The friend told deputies he shut off the engine, applied the emergency brake and stepped out of the Jeep to help direct a driver behind him around a tight turn. He said the jeep started to roll while the woman was still in the passenger seat. The man tried to jump back into the Jeep to steer it, but he was thrown into rocks when it went off the road. The sheriff’s office said the Jeep rolled down several switchbacks, throwing the woman out of the vehicle. It came to a stop on the road."

discomatt

The crumple zones seem to work well
I guess it just shows the importance of a good hand brake that is not only reliable but is also capable of stopping a car without the need for modification for it to function.
Most manufacturers have mastered this simple device, some not so much

Albynsw

The crumple zones seem to work well
I guess it just shows the importance of a good hand brake that is not only reliable but is also capable of stopping a car without the need for modification for it to function.

Matt I get the feeling your having a shot at my ambassador brand :eek: :)

CaptainBanana

Yep, the brakes and gearing on a LC200 would have held it going down that slope :cool::rolleyes:o_O

Landcruiser wouldn't have been any good but the new defender would have been able to crawl down that with all that's technology and air suspension and water depth meters.

Chatty

I reckon it shows the importance of not relying on a parking brake, and always making sure your vehicle is in gear or Park when leaving it. The mines have learnt that lesson - but maybe have gone a little overboard with the need to use wheel chocks everywhere. Having said that - wheel chocks would have stropped this Jeep rolling away...
Umm, maybe not. The parking brake (it's actually foot operated, so can't be called a 'handbrake') on the GMC is a great footrest, but not much use for anything else.

boobook

discomatt said:

I reckon it shows the importance of not relying on a parking brake, and always making sure your vehicle is in gear or Park when leaving it. The mines have learnt that lesson - but maybe have gone a little overboard with the need to use wheel chocks everywhere. Having said that - wheel chocks would have stropped this Jeep rolling away...

discomatt said:

Umm, maybe not. The parking brake (it's actually foot operated, so can't be called a 'handbrake') on the GMC is a great footrest, but not much use for anything else.

I'm surprised Matt brought up faulty hand Brakes. The Discovery 3/4's handbrake is one of the most unreliable parts of the car. That's saying something! My friend's locked up several times, Land Rover service charged him $800 to fix it twice. They said they had never seen it before but forums are riddled with this issue. After the second time, their solution was to tell him "don't use the hand brake. " Serious - that makes a Toyota hand brake look good , and that's hard to do.

The actuator keeps going faulty. There is also the "rip up the floor and pull the ripcord" solution for other issues.

:D

discomatt

I'm surprised Matt brought up faulty hand Brakes. The Discovery 3/4's handbrake is one of the most unreliable parts of the car. That's saying something! My friend's locked up several times, Land Rover service charged him $800 to fix it twice. They said they had never seen it before but forums are riddled with this issue. After the second time, their solution was to tell him "don't use the hand brake. " Serious - that makes a Toyota hand brake look good , and that's hard to do.

The actuator keeps going faulty. There is also the "rip up the floor and pull the ripcord" solution for other issues.

Your friend is obviously as ignorant as you, its a 5 minute service / clean at each service and he will never have an issue, if he is silly enough to just use a dealer for all his service thats his issue. If he does any of his own work tell him to have a look around and educate himself a little so he doesn't look so foolish if ever talking to anyone who knows anything about LR's
At least they do work and tell your mate to try the emergency brake test ( Hand brake operated if he even knows about it) when on a quiet road, you should also be in the car to find out how advanced and capable they really are.
Big enough bit for you?
Here is a link for your mate, all there all simple
Back to the Jeep, will that buff out?

Last edited:

boobook

True , he would be the first to admit that he was ignorant and a sucker when owning the thing. Then he got sick of breakdowns and massive running costs so sold it. So he isn't ignorant anymore. Right?

As to biting? Well if you turn every thread into a pro LR, anti-Toyota thread, you have to take what you give Matt. Facts are facts and you OT steered this Jeep thread into the Hand Brake thread as a dig at Toyotas. You may know a workaround for the hundreds of faults, but he isn't mechanical. He just wanted a car that he could 4wd in occasionally without going broke and being off the road all the time. Not unreasonable, and not ignorant.

If LR charged him that much to dust something and said they have never seen it before then they are thieves.

Anyway it was just a POS. And the Hand break did keep locking up and he could not move.

The one thing Disco's are fantastic at, is not going.

discomatt

If LR charged him that much to dust something and said they have never seen it before then they are thieves.
This part you have 100% correct, they are thieves and are also rather dishonest as well, the same as all dealers I guess, certainly my experience with Holden with my rodeo, Ford with a falcon and Toyota with a Hiace, personally I have never had dealings with a LR dealer and hope to never have the dis pleasure.
Pretty sure that will buff out