Who's got the good oil on Moreton Island?

rodw

Hi Guys,

My wife and I are planning to head over to Moreton Island towards the end of August for 5 days. We have never been there before and I am wondering if people have got some ideas about the best spot to camp?

We are set up to be self sufficient so the plan was to camp away from the developed camping sites but you have to nominate a camping days these days. We also thought that the eastern (ocean side) might be better as the winter westerlies might be blowing during August. So at this stge was lening towards the North Eastern Zone on the ocean side which straddles the beach either side of Blue Lagoon.

So anybody with any "Good Oil" and some pointers about Moreton would be much apperciated.... Are the beach campsites numbered? If so, which is the best camp site? GPS Coordinates would be fine as we have Ozi Explorer on board. (HINT: You can PM me any really special places so the whole world does not get to know about your best kept secret...)

knot_gillty

Sounds like you will have a good trip Rod. Sorry i can't help but i would love to attend. Bit far though...

Some of these guys should be able to help you out.

frosty

I still have'nt been to Moreton Is. Dunno why, have been trying for years. Next year, I'm doin it!!

Rod, when ya get back, bring lots of picy's and details on the best places to camp.

we are deciding between Morton and Straddie in august ( somwhere between 14th and 22nd)
Dying to see morton but straddie we can take our dog.
If we can get a relative to dog sit we will got to Morton. But yeah, have no idea where to camp there. Do we have to nominate before hand where we are staying? Thats tough if your never been there before. Ho w much is camping per night there?
I guess i should start booking now:cool:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Moreton island is great and have been going there since the 80's for fishing for tailor in August. Have camped is other sites but Blue Lagoon is the preferred. The southern end of the camp sites is my first choose, it close to level and is protected by the dunes for the winds. The camp sites are not number and it is general a rush to get there first in busy times. There are toilets and cold showers there so you may want to have a solar bag or 2 for warm showers. I have put up a GPS track for Moreton recently but since then had a drive failure, so you need to down it from 4x4 Earth.

Things to do: fishing, driving the island, lunch at the gutter bar, sand skiing the small dunes, visit the lighthouse, swimming and good old relaxation

rodw

we are deciding between Morton and Straddie in august ( somwhere between 14th and 22nd)
Dying to see morton but straddie we can take our dog.
If we can get a relative to dog sit we will got to Morton. But yeah, have no idea where to camp there. Do we have to nominate before hand where we are staying? Thats tough if your never been there before. Ho w much is camping per night there?
I guess i should start booking now:cool:

We are planning being there 19-24th August. Yes you do have to book here

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_an...ton_island_national_park_and_recreation_area/

and there are several PDF maps there, one of them has the camping zones but not the actual camp site. When a zone fills up you can't book, but it is not that busy now. Camping fee is about $4 per head per night and $30 for the vehicle for a month. I think there is still a barge from Straddie if you wanted to do a day trip...

It is not actually the cost of the camping that hurts it is the $190 to get your car over there on the barge and if you drag a trailer, it is another $190!

So does anybody know anything about camping around Cowan Cowan on the Western (still water) side? Somebody suggested it was nice too.

rodw

Moreton island is great and have been going there since the 80's for fishing for tailor in August. Have camped is other sites but Blue Lagoon is the preferred. The southern end of the camp sites is my first choose, it close to level and is protected by the dunes for the winds. The camp sites are not number and it is general a rush to get there first in busy times. There are toilets and cold showers there so you may want to have a solar bag or 2 for warm showers. I have put up a GPS track for Moreton recently but since then had a drive failure, so you need to down it from 4x4 Earth.

Things to do: fishing, driving the island, lunch at the gutter bar, sand skiing the small dunes, visit the lighthouse, swimming and good old relaxation

Thanks for the info. Hot showers aren't a worry, we have a heat exchanger on board and can choose from pumping from a 100 litre water tank or an external source. I took this picture as a bit of a joke for one of the guys on another forum, but you get the picture.

DSC_3900.jpg

Mains pressure out of this tap but the hot water is via a connection up the front of the car.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I think there is still a barge from Straddie if you wanted to do a day trip --- Yes there is a barge that crosses between the islands

It is not actually the cost of the camping that hurts it is the $190 to get your car over there on the barge and if you drag a trailer, it is another $190! --- Price suxs but Hawkens has the trade run now, so you are paying their prices.

So does anybody know anything about camping around Cowan Cowan on the Western (still water) side? Somebody suggested it was nice too. --- The camp ground is just north of the township and looks good. If the wind is blowing westerly it will cut straight into the site. Lucky the westerlies only blow a few weeks of the year.

rodw

If the wind is blowing westerly it will cut straight into the site. Lucky the westerlies only blow a few weeks of the year.

Thanks mate, exactly my thoughts and those few weeks the westerlies blow are usually in August so I think I will stick to the ocean side.

So now I got to raise a thread on how to catch taylor seing as August is Taylor season isn't it? I got to confess I have never been any good at catching fish. Something to do with growing up in the near desert of western QLD. Not many fish out there.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Tailor fishing is easy if they are biting. You are looking for a deep gutter so the bait fish and Tailor can get into. Shiny lures or pilchards does the trick. The problem is finding the gutter or the bank they are sitting behind. The birds are good Tailor finders because the bait fish will only be on the surface if balled up by them. A good beach fishing pole is required and I find 15lb line good.

we are going to morton on the 17th till the 21st
never been before.... so am i right in saying there is no fuel there at all anymore, and no eftpos at the 2 shops just cash?
anything else we should be aware off before heading over?

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Bulwer (http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/register/p02867aa.pdf) has fuel at the garage but it costly, which is expected. The shop and garage at Bulwer have credit card access but would recommend to ring them first to confirm. We took cash with use which made it easy. The only other place that has credit card is Tangalooma which is expensive.

The island should be able to driven around on the tank of fuel (80L) for a week which depends on if you drive on the hard sand or not. The island is roughly 70-80km round trip. We stayed at blue lagoon camp site, 2 trips down to little dunes for sand skiing, around the top twice, across to Bulwer a few times with a trips down to Tangalooma and other trips to the cape. This used up the main tank on the Prado and we switched over to the reserve getting onto the barge. We used 26L/100KM for the trip. The middle track was chewed up badly by people using the wrong tyre pressures. 20lb should be ok while on the island and there is a pump on the MiCat to re-inflate your tyres on the way home. The last fuel station is about 1km from the MiCat ferry.

You should have a good time and may catch some early tailor

rodw

we are going to morton on the 17th till the 21st
never been before.... so am i right in saying there is no fuel there at all anymore, and no eftpos at the 2 shops just cash?
anything else we should be aware off before heading over?

I'll be there 17-24th, never been there before either.
All the web sites say no fuel there anywhere since the Kombi Trader stopped running about Xmas time.

The Micat girl said there is a servo just near the departure point and I'll be topping up there and taking an extra 20 ltres (I only got a 76 litre tank)

Thanks for the heads up on the cash.. I probably would have remembered to get some.

Might see you there.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I am now wondering how the business's at Bulwer are surviving then.

Looking forward to an update from you

bungie

No fuel on the island at all.

Business at Bulwer are now owned by MiCat so they might be a bit subsidised.

Last time I was there they took EFPOS at the shops, but don't guarantee it.

Going 21 -25 to chase Taylor and relax :)

rodw

bungie said:

I think I better drink beer for the week I am there... :)

Wish I knew how to catch a fish...

i think we are coming back the 21st from memory
if you see a black jeep cherokee driving around 9 you can spot us by the female passenger usually yelling the whole time) give us a beep!:cool: