Who uses vks737

poite91

Hi all just wondering who uses vks737?

My Father got him self a new codan unsure of what model and he told me I can have his old codan 8528 with the manual tap aerial. So I'm looking at installing it into my ute but it got me thinking how many people are still using this type of communication.

Cheers Pete.

dirvine

I still use it. Reason is that although many think satphone is just as good, the simple matter is if you get into trouble, calling vks get you an operator who has experience in dealing with emergencies, breakdowns etc in the bush or outback. If you use the system properly then they can track you on a trip and alert the correct authorities of your approximate location etc and send out the correct help. With a phone who do I call when I breakdown in the middle of the gunbarrell? The dealership? My mother? 000? I have had vks for many years and use it on my big trips for safe communication and knowing that someone is logging my movements until I tell them it is no longer required. Others like the satphone for the convenience and small size. Whilst the set you are getting does not allow phone calls, many of the new models do. So you have the best of both aspects. But having said that without that feature, I would still prefer the vhf set that a phone. Also remember that you need a licience to use the radio issuedvby vks

Tony_J

Hi Pete,
I use VKS737 for basically the same reasons as Dirvine. Not for car to car comms, just long distance. Real handy to have if you break down (or have a heart attack/snake bite etc) on the Madigan or CSR etc. Also can use it local if out of mobile range. Also works out a lot cheaper.
I have led several trips the last few years and some of the other vehicles had sat phones. Contrary to what people say, they do not always work. Last trip there were 2 sat phones on different systems and when we came across another vehicle broken down neither sat phone could pick up signal. HF came to the rescue. We didn't know who to ring either but with the HF, no need. The operator at the other end has a computer and land line - they arranged everything.
There are providers other than VKS737 and they do the same thing. VKS has the most bases though.
Some people have no dramas with sat phones, but for my money - HF is the way I go.
Cheers
Tony

poite91

I still use it. Reason is that although many think satphone is just as good, the simple matter is if you get into trouble, calling vks get you an operator who has experience in dealing with emergencies, breakdowns etc in the bush or outback. If you use the system properly then they can track you on a trip and alert the correct authorities of your approximate location etc and send out the correct help. With a phone who do I call when I breakdown in the middle of the gunbarrell? The dealership? My mother? 000? I have had vks for many years and use it on my big trips for safe communication and knowing that someone is logging my movements until I tell them it is no longer required. Others like the satphone for the convenience and small size. Whilst the set you are getting does not allow phone calls, many of the new models do. So you have the best of both aspects. But having said that without that feature, I would still prefer the vhf set that a phone. Also remember that you need a licience to use the radio issuedvby vks
Hi Pete,
I use VKS737 for basically the same reasons as Dirvine. Not for car to car comms, just long distance. Real handy to have if you break down (or have a heart attack/snake bite etc) on the Madigan or CSR etc. Also can use it local if out of mobile range. Also works out a lot cheaper.
I have led several trips the last few years and some of the other vehicles had sat phones. Contrary to what people say, they do not always work. Last trip there were 2 sat phones on different systems and when we came across another vehicle broken down neither sat phone could pick up signal. HF came to the rescue. We didn't know who to ring either but with the HF, no need. The operator at the other end has a computer and land line - they arranged everything.
There are providers other than VKS737 and they do the same thing. VKS has the most bases though.
Some people have no dramas with sat phones, but for my money - HF is the way I go.
Cheers
Tony
This is really good to see. I'm pretty sold on the idea I ordered a new battery tray to set up a second battery and I can run the HF off.

mauriceb

I have had my Codan 8525b since the late 80s and it's still working .I was a VKS member from 1995 to a few years ago when i changed to the HF Radio Club . I ungraded my sets head and some internal components including a Autotune Antenna so i could make Teli phonecalls via the system. Like Vks we pay an annual fee under $100 which includes 200 mins of free mobile /fixed Oz numbers per month http://www.hfradioclub.com.au .Prefer my Satphone its a more realible comunicator but alway carry both due to the remote trips i like to do.

lost51

I've had a Codan NGT for 10 years, VKS member for nearly as long. The HF is pretty reliable, sometimes atmospheric conditions make comms difficult but can almost always get through. Probably the best feature is the VKS community; besides the base stations others can hear conversations and help out with info or act as relays if you can't get through to a base. I've heard of some members collecting parts etc for stranded vehicles if they're going that way or have detoured to assist. Base operators will help out with weather, roads and other info; once when one of our party struck mechanical trouble (they weren't a member), VKS operator was incredibly helpful in securing assistance.