Who to vote for?

discomatt

The issue of refugees is a very complex moral and ethical problem that you n many ways has no right or wrong and can be , definitely should be dealt with in much better ways than than the current policies from both sides of government
The simplest place to start is ask why we have border security?
I look at it the same as why I lock the front door when I go to bed.
I don’t do it primarily to lock people out but the opposite, to protect what I have within

Rusty Panels

I saw coverage of an Anzac Day ceremony yesterday where they sang Waltzing Matilda. The camera panned around the sea of faces and all the older adults were singing along, none of the younger people seemed to even know any of the words. Obviously these moments of national importance where we show respect to our countries fallen and our heritage aren't being taught in our schools. It's obvious that to be a proud Australian, to show respect to our ancestors and pioneers, to embrace our heritage is offensive to others.
It's a pretty sad indication of what this country has become and how much government policies and decisions change the way we live.

peterfermtech

I have been through the process of having in my care an overseas intellectual disability child that had been abandoned by his father who subsequently returned to his home country. I sort and was refused support from community services Vic. as they felt they would have to take responsibility. I then went through the process of seeking parenting from the family court which I was awarded. I then proceeded down the path of immigration seeking refugee status because of his ID which was eventually achieved. I understand this was the first time it was provided for this reason.
This child was only 9 when he arrived in this country. He had no say and faced a high risk of child exploitation if he returned to his home country. This is totally different to the many economic refugees that hop on boats from countries that are are not a danger and already are providing a level of sanctuary. Anyone who doesn't understand this is naive to say the least.

cam04

I saw coverage of an Anzac Day ceremony yesterday where they sang Waltzing Matilda. The camera panned around the sea of faces and all the older adults were singing along, none of the younger people seemed to even know any of the words. Obviously these moments of national importance where we show respect to our countries fallen and our heritage aren't being taught in our schools. It's obvious that to be a proud Australian, to show respect to our ancestors and pioneers, to embrace our heritage is offensive to others.
It's a pretty sad indication of what this country has become and how much government policies and decisions change the way we live.
I sat down with my kids and watched a doco on the Nth Africa campaign that my Grandfather was a part of from Tobruk to El Alamein. The kids know the words, but the only place they have heard it sung has been at Wallaby test matches I think? The world is definitely changing.

John U

I have been through the process of having in my care an overseas intellectual disability child that had been abandoned by his father who subsequently returned to his home country. I sort and was refused support from community services Vic. as they felt they would have to take responsibility. I then went through the process of seeking parenting from the family court which I was awarded. I then proceeded down the path of immigration seeking refugee status because of his ID which was eventually achieved. I understand this was the first time it was provided for this reason.
This child was only 9 when he arrived in this country. He had no say and faced a high risk of child exploitation if he returned to his home country. This is totally different to the many economic refugees that hop on boats from countries that are are not a danger and already are providing a level of sanctuary. Anyone who doesn't understand this is naive to say the least.
Good on you for your efforts. You should be commended.

If the majority of asylum seekers are found to be legitimate, by the government process, then I’m guessing they’re not economic refugees. Unless that is now a recognised status.

peterfermtech

If they have come via an intermediary country that is providing sanctuary then their only reason to move on is for economic reasons.

Edit
Or to bypass the queue.

Last edited:

typhoeus

Respects to you. It takes a lot of commitment to jump thru all the hoops to get something like this organised, for someone who was not family, ( but now is part of your family) A lot of people don't have much compassion these days

boobook

No one has articulated the asylum seekers situation as well as John Howard. It stands today and is well worth reading.

I hold very strongly to the view that this country has an obligation as part of the international community to conduct a generous refugee program and we have done so to our credit now for some decades. We are one of only nine countries in the world that has a resettlement program and we take more refugees on a per capita basis than any country in the world accept Canada. But my friends we will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come and we'll decide that applying humane equitable principles and international refugee assessment. What is involved in this debate about asylum seekers is the proposition that some people have, namely if people can quite literally present themselves at Australia's borders and demand entry no matter what the background or no matter what the circumstances are. And don't any of you imagine that the Labor Party has been as avowedly in support of the position we now take as they currently claim. When we presented our Border Protection Bill to the Parliament the Labor Party voted against it. Having four and a half hours earlier through the Leader Opposition said that he supported what I was doing in relation to the Tampa they then changed their position and they voted against it. A few weeks later they voted in favour of it and then while it was being debated in the Senate many of their members said that if they won the election they would reserve the right to alter that particular piece of legislation.

John U

‘ Mr Fraser has previously criticised the party for becoming one of "fear and reaction" and says it is now unrecognisable as the party he joined more than 50 years ago. The former prime minister has also been a vocal critic of the Coalition's border protection policies.’

boobook

‘ Mr Fraser has previously criticised the party for becoming one of "fear and reaction" and says it is now unrecognisable as the party he joined more than 50 years ago. The former prime minister has also been a vocal critic of the Coalition's border protection policies.’

Malcolm made a lot of money criticising the Libs in the speaking circuit for years. It was a good source of income for him.

John U

Malcolm made a lot of money criticising the Libs in the speaking circuit for years. It was a good source of income for him.
Seriously?

He had morals. He welcomed refugees while PM.

Howard had very few morals. He did face the press though, and answered questions. Unlike the vain cowards running the LNP now.

Albynsw

It is easy to head down these rabbit holes and you can pull up countless examples to debate on all sides of politics.

Better to focus on the bigger picture of what we have been through recently and the state of the nations people and the shape of our economy, compare that to how other nations are faring
Then consider if it would of been handled better by another government ? That is the heart of the situation, you can knit pick countless examples of where things were handled poorly but to be brutally honest you have to accept that those stuff ups are going to occur regardless who is in power.

peterfermtech

According to the greens Larissa Waters just now they are planning to be working with the ALP. Sounds a bit like a coalition to me.

boobook

I think there is a ex leader of the ALP that regularly gives criticism of Labor.
Yep same same. If ex politicians say what people expect, they are worth nothing on the speaking and media circus. Say controversial and unexpected things and they have a nice little earner.

Keating, Richardson, Hewson, Fraser, Sam Distari......

Albynsw

Yep same same. If ex politicians say what people expect, they are worth nothing on the speaking and media circus. Say controversial and unexpected things and they have a nice little earner.

Keating, Richardson, Hewson, Fraser, Sam Distari......

I wasn’t a big fan of Richardson politically but loved him and what he had to say when he retired from “ the game”

peterfermtech

Imagine where Australia would financially be now if Tony Abbot had not been able to force a back down on the Rudd/Gillard Labor Governments carbon taxes.