Who to vote for?

John U

The invasion of Iraq in the early 00’s instigated the flow. 100’s of thousands of Australians protested against it. This was a major contributing factor to the flow of refugees. The problem was contributed too by the lnp.

The Howard government through reason out the window and enthusiastically chased the racist vote. It has only got worse since then. So bad that the ALP eventually embraced some of the policies.

None of it passes muster. 20,000 refugees into a population of 27,000,000 is a reasonable expectation. Even more. Not sure how many refugees arrived post WW2. Proportionally I’d guess many many more.

discomatt

On the bright side Victoria now has a 200 million $$ quarantine facility that blew out to 580 million that could be used for refugees rather than leaving it empty with its over 300 staff:rolleyes:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
The invasion of Iraq in the early 00’s instigated the flow. 100’s of thousands of Australians protested against it. This was a major contributing factor to the flow of refugees. The problem was contributed too by the lnp.

The Howard government through reason out the window and enthusiastically chased the racist vote. It has only got worse since then. So bad that the ALP eventually embraced some of the policies.

None of it passes muster. 20,000 refugees into a population of 27,000,000 is a reasonable expectation. Even more. Not sure how many refugees arrived post WW2. Proportionally I’d guess many many more.
After WW2 there were no refugees who came to Australia. However thousands, I mean thousands of us who came were called migrants.

Rusty Panels

Regardless of who we vote for I can almost certainly guarantee that the next leader will be as incompetent, corrupt, useless, vain, stupid, dumb, petty, bitchy, and totally loveable as any we have voted in before! :rolleyes:

Albynsw

The number of people is not the issue here. The issue is WE decide who comes to this country not people who arrive illegally via two or three other countries that they would of been safe in and throw their passports overboard before arriving. We have systems and procedures in place to see residency here and these people were deliberately trying to bypass that process.
Sure it was ugly but that is the heart of the situation and the labor government opened up a gap that allowed our law to be exploited.

Hoyks

After WW2 there were no refugees who came to Australia. However thousands, I mean thousands of us who came were called migrants.
Back before the war my grandfather was here as an illegal alien. He owned a butcher shop and ran a pub, no one really cared until 1942 and they realised he was German, so off to Loveday Internment Camp for the duration.

Hoyks

The number of people is not the issue here. The issue is WE decide who comes to this country not people who arrive illegally via two or three other countries that they would of been safe in and throw their passports overboard before arriving. We have systems and procedures in place to see residency here and these people were deliberately trying to bypass that process.
Sure it was ugly but that is the heart of the situation and the labor government opened up a gap that allowed our law to be exploited.
You might want to re-read the history of that. Howard was PM when they decided to go with the whole off shore processing thing (he'd been PM for 4 years already).
Tampa Affair and Children Overboard were all part of changing the nations attitude to refugees, who suddenly became illegal immigrants.

Albynsw

You might want to re-read the history of that. Howard was PM when they decided to go with the whole off shore processing thing (he'd been PM for 4 years already).
Tampa Affair and Children Overboard were all part of changing the nations attitude to refugees, who suddenly became illegal immigrants.

Yep and then Labor changed the rules and the boats were flowing again

These people seeking ” asylum “ chose to country hop through several countries where they were no longer in danger and had a particular destination in mind. Do you not think it reasonable that we choose who comes here not the other way around ?

John U

It hasn’t been illegal to seek asylum in Australia since Australia since up to the refugee convention post ww2. This convention came about after a boat load of Jews were knocked back when seeking asylum during ww2. I believe many ended up dying.

Hoyks

Yep and then Labor changed the rules and the boats were flowing again

These people seeking ” asylum “ chose to country hop through several countries where they were no longer in danger and had a particular destination in mind. Do you not think it reasonable that we choose who comes here not the other way around ?
In what way? Pretty sure their policy was to continue offshore processing?

and when did the last boat arrive in Aus?

Year
Number of boats
Crew
Number of people (excludes crew)
60​
141​
2726​
134​
345​
6555​
69​
168​
4565​
278​
392​
17 204​
300​
644​
20 587​
1​
N/A​
160​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​
0​

Albynsw

Rudd dismantled Howard’s policy and the boats started up again, look at the years where the numbers were at their highest and look at who was in power during that period…..

John U

Rudd dismantled Howard’s policy and the boats started up again, look at the years where the numbers were at their highest and look at who was in power during that period…..
When was it ever a problem?
What issues did people seeking asylum in Australia cause?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
After WW2 the Australian Government supported immigration to replace the young Aussies lost in the war. They needed a workforce.
My Dad, Mum and us three boys came out in 1949 from Malta under the £10.00 Pom fare.
We were immigrants not refugees and were seeking a better life after suffering the horrors of war.
Originally the Government did want people of Anglo Saxon origin to immigrate after the war, however there were insufficient workers available.
So as British subjects we were begrudgingly accepted even though we were Southern European.
Then after that with the Government still looking for workers, out came the Hungarians, Yugoslavs, Germans, Italians etc. etc.

cam04

After WW2 the Australian Government supported immigration to replace the young Aussies lost in the war. They needed a workforce.
My Dad, Mum and us three boys came out in 1949 from Malta under the £10.00 Pom fare.
We were immigrants not refugees and were seeking a better life after suffering the horrors of war.
Originally the Government did want people of Anglo Saxon origin to immigrate after the war, however there were insufficient workers available.
So as British subjects we were begrudgingly accepted even though we were Southern European.
Then after that with the Government still looking for workers, out came the Hungarians, Yugoslavs, Germans, Italians etc. etc.
Another bloody wog! My mum’s side are Calleja’s . Grandad fought for Malta then moved to the Isle of Wight and married my grandma and had mum. Mum came out first in the 60’s and the rest of them followed soon enough. Dads parents are welsh and emigrated in the 1930’s.

John U

Well, to start with........
LOL's. AFRICAN GANGS!!!! Again! There most be an election in the offing. Haven't heard about them since last election.

So you would be happy to have open borders for whoever chooses to come here? That is what you are suggesting
Not at all. Asylum seekers are coming because their lives are in danger (assessed and found to be legitimate in the majority of cases). Process them and bring them here if they pass the (reasonable) tests. Don't keep them in indefinite detention (at huge financial cost), treat them like criminals (at huge financial cost), return them to the country they were escaping at risk of death. Don't use them as political footballs.

I remember the Australia of the fair go. It has changed.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Some years ago now I had the opportunity to enter a detention centre in Malta where mainly detainees of African origin were kept.
My cousin supported and supplied items for them and got me passed the guards.
Many had been treated harshly including beatings.
Speaking to them as a group, one explained in broken English that his parents and siblings were massacred and he was the only survivor. I did see many hatchet scars on his body and face.
He begged me to help him come to Australia, however I was unable to do anything for him.
Because they grew up in these circumstances many times they fought to survive and so they would do anything to get what they wanted. They had no trust for the police or army as they would be beaten or killed.
Not condoning what they may do here, however there are young who were born here, who I grew up with and did as bad.