Who to vote for?

typhoeus

Well, I'll be filtering out any candidate who supports the woke agenda. I think kids should be left to grow up normally, Women shouldn't have to compete against guys who want to call themselves women, , or share toilets with them

Albynsw

Well, I'll be filtering out any candidate who supports the woke agenda. I think kids should be left to grow up normally, Women shouldn't have to compete against guys who want to call themselves women, , or share toilets with them

I am surprised the woman’s lib type movements haven’t jumped on this as an infringement on their rights

John U

This single issue will decide your vote?
You know there’s a lot of other stuff going on in the world. Way more important than who uses which toilet.

typhoeus

This single issue will decide your vote?
You know there’s a lot of other stuff going on in the world. Way more important than who uses which toilet.
No, I don't decide on a single issue but it is a big issue for a lot of people, and the candidate who stands firm on the smaller things is likely to maintain ethics with bigger decisions

John U

No, I don't decide on a single issue but it is a big issue for a lot of people, and the candidate who stands firm on the smaller things is likely to maintain ethics with bigger decisions
Not sure that I agree. A candidate who deals with the big issues first, is more likely to deal with the big issues first. A candidate that never mentions the big issues, avoids discussing the big issues, is far less likely to deal with the big issues.

It’s a good thing you don’t vote based on a single issue. Some parties will make a lot of noise about a non issue to distract from what they intend to do in a lot of other important policy areas.

boobook

I'm surprised that so few people have mentioned the senate. The lack of choice between libs and labour is frustrating, but the mix of the senate with independents can keep policies on track somewhat.

boobook

Or derail them, depending on who or what

Yeah, agreed. And normally I'd say that derailment is unproductive and only representing a minority.
But with Labour being unable to behave responsibly, and the libs being completely deaf on the environment, I think the only way to effect change is to put the libs back in the lower house, and have a senate that is economically responsible, but disrupts the living shit out of anything that doesn't have a long term positive impact for our kids.

John U

A list of achievements by the Coalition government since 2013.
Can be filtered by policy area.
Worth reading before you vote.

Each item has 1 or more links to back it up.
Almost 1,000 items.

boobook

Ah just a pi
A list of achievements by the Coalition government since 2013.
Can be filtered by policy area.
Worth reading before you vote.

Each item has 1 or more links to back it up.
Almost 1,000 items.

Just a little bit biased by some warrier. Not worth wasting time on.

I'm not saying the libs have been great, even good, I'm just saying they are less of a shit show than the labour party by a country mile in the aspect of economic management

John U

Ah just a pi

Just a little bit biased by some warrier. Not worth wasting time on.

I'm not saying the libs have been great, even good, I'm just saying they are less of a shit show than the labour party by a country mile in the aspect of economic management
Biased? Nah, factual.

The LNP are not better economic managers. Australia was in its first recession, after 7 years of coalition government, before the pandemic hit. It’s a myth.

John U

And in another 8 years with different government there will be a whole new list of corruption, lies and self interest
They are all as bad as each other in that respect and anyone who thinks any party either left or right is any worse or better is kidding themselves
The corruption is nowhere near equal, and the scrutiny is nowhere near equal.

boobook

Spoken like a one eyed no question supporter, I like your your dedication.
maybe I am just to cynical of politics and those who make the decisions we have to live under, I mean surely they have our best interests at heart therefore make policy to improve the future for all.
NOT…
Yeah I think you'd struggle to seperate the pair. Look at the antics under Dan Andrews, the previous NSW.

The most corrupt one is the one currently in power.

John U

I'm not actually one eyed. I've voted across the spectrum. I am more politically aware than I used to be.

I'll vote for the party with the broadest range of policies that will do the greatest good for Australia, Australians, and the environment we rely on to survive.

Some examples of sub par economic management from the LNP (from the site/list linked above).
Indue Card (coming for all pensioners if LNP re-elected).
Spent around $10k per person per year for a cashless welfare card trial, for welfare payments worth $14k per person per year. That's a 70% overhead. The money was given to a private company without a proper tender process, with the contracts signed prior to the completion of the trial. Almost half of the participants claimed the trial made their lives worse.

Sent $440 million of Reef research funds to an obscure private organisation, instead of one of the many relevant public agencies, and without any application process.

Abandoned standard tender processes when awarding a $423 million contract to a company with $50k in funds, little experience, no phone number, no mail address, housed in a shack.

Gave $38 billion in JobKeeper payments to companies who did not suffer significant downturn during COVID, refused to ask for the money back once this became clear, and included no method in the legislation to get the money back if this occurred

John U

Albynsw

Look through history and you will see that the typical trend is that liberal governments create a kitty and the Labour one spend it.
You can hand pick examples of wasted funds on both side, look at the stupid Pink Batts debarkle for instance
I am with Matt on this with regards to corruption. Anyone who thinks it happens more on one side of the fence than the other is kidding themselves. Those type of people are opportunistic and appear everywhere
Keep in mind that many labour pollies have come through the ranks of the unions and are often not the most umm honest citizens :rolleyes: and have a mindset of getting more more more not managing viable business plans.