Who to vote for?

Mick_Marsh

You can assume whatever you like. Scotty totally bungled Covid and he’s totally bungling foreign policy and military spending. Albo may well do the same but if giving him a chance means being rid of the marketer I’m happy to take that chance
Ah, so you'll be voting for Albo even though you think he'll totally bungle Covid and he’ll totally bungle foreign policy and military spending.
I hope your footy team does well this season.
Me, I don't follow footy. I'll be voting for the candidate that has the best plan for my electorate.

peterfermtech

I think I know who's been instructing him.

Attachments

• mean_girls.jpg
    mean_girls.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 25

peterfermtech

What policies was he presenting?
How would they benefit Australia?
These are the things you’re focusing on right?
He wasn't giving any policies. He was just criticising Scott Morrison for not doing what Jacinda Ardern and Joe Biden also failed to do and that is dictate to a foreign country how they should behave.
I'm not sure that telling a sovereign nation how they should run their own affairs would benefit Australia.
This might give you a little more focus. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tions-motive-for-china-solomons-security-pact

Mick_Marsh

He wasn't giving any policies. He was just criticising Scott Morrison for not doing what Jacinda Ardern and Joe Biden also failed to do and that is dictate to a foreign country how they should behave.
I'm not sure that telling a sovereign nation how they should run their own affairs would benefit Australia.
This might give you a little more focus. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...tions-motive-for-china-solomons-security-pact
Perhaps we should do a Putin. If the Solomon Islands government don't do what we want them to, bomb the crap out of them.

John U

The Coalition has enthusiastically cut foreign aid since taking power.
Foreign aid has many benefits. Keeping your close neighbours aligned is one of them. Having those close neighbours keeping Australia in the loop is another.

This issue is a problem created by the coalition’s short sighted policy making.

boobook

But increased it for the Pacific.
That's right. Australia has cut aid to Africa, Western Asia/ Middle East and Latin America, but has increased aid to the Pacific.

This is a trend for at least 12 to 15 years across both parties. The Gillard government even classified the detention centers as foreign aid, saying they had increased the allocation, while stipping back the real dollars going overseas.

This isn't a problem created by Scotty, or the Libs. It's a corrupt pacific leader and a rising power cashed up by exports stretching its wings.

LongRoad2Go

The problem with just about all of the so-called Pacific Nations is they are totally nonviable in a modern world, usually led by tribal corruption, and ALWAYS have their hands out like they deserve to exist.

PNG is a shining example of that – with their natural resources, they should be a developed country, but, their politicians are a pure waste of space. New Zealand must have it worse than us because they have long standing immigration agreements with many of those ‘nations’ … the old backdoor entry to Australia certainly assists them though.

People can call it aid if they want, but frankly it is bribe and hush money. Like all the others, the Solomon Islands Prime Minister is playing the ‘up the ante’ game and so far Oz and NZ are pretending to fold … there’s more to come … maybe even a coup d'état, followed by Peace Keeping Forces just to keep the military and corporate arms dealers happy.

Now they are proven to simply be 'fair weather friends' - when the money is decreased, off they go the the enemy.

Last edited:

John U

The LNP government's fear narrative is a big part of the problem. Fear Asylum Seekers. Fear Terrorists. Fear China. It's a regular go to for them when appealing to some sections of the voting public.

This time they've used against China and it has affected trade and now China's expansion in the area.

Don't forget that an LNP government sold leased the port of Darwin to the Chinese for 99 years. Now they need to spend billions to build another one.

Here's China's head address the Australian Parliament, in Canberra, before the LNP started with the Chinese fear factor.

Last edited:

peterfermtech

Quick google
'Australia’s official development assistance (ODA) to Solomon Islands declined 12.6% from $179m in 2014-15 to $156m in the 2021-22 budget, government figures showed.'
Did you actually read all of it or just the"Albo Says" bit?

Albynsw

Keep in mind this is not so much about what we are doing but the result of a specific strategy that China has been using successfully in a number of areas gaining control of waterways and ports
They specifically target countries that have gone through civil unrest or war and offer them $$$$ to help rebuild and lever there way in from there
Sri Lanker is a prime example. China is there to stay

cam04

Keep in mind this is not so much about what we are doing but the result of a specific strategy that China has been using successfully in a number of areas gaining control of waterways and ports
They specifically target countries that have gone through civil unrest or war and offer them $$$$ to help rebuild and lever there way in from there
Sri Lanker is a prime example. China is there to stay
png, fiji.

All Aus needs is about 30 icbm's along the coastline to give any potential aggressors some pause and we will be right. Get rid of the tanks, APC's etc etc - we aren't going off invading anyone soon are we? Bring back a legitimate long range attack/bomber and worry about our own backyard. I agree, China is going nowhere and since Obama dropped the ball in the South China Sea they have started going further afield.