Who takes a WeberQ?

cam04

I'm negotiating one long handle shovel with sawn off handle, and one spare.

I cant find Harry Buttler cooking his steak on his shovel. Man can Control fire, its an ''art'' handed down from the gods themselves. I have done the camper trailer, cast iron, etc. These days if it is bulky, or heavy, its gone, no one sponsors me on walkabout for diesel, or gives me freebies, and I'm not towing a trailor.
I can remember Reg Absalom doing something like that?

Colly18

I cant find Harry Buttler cooking his steak on his shovel. Man can Control fire, its an ''art'' handed down from the gods themselves. I have done the camper trailer, cast iron, etc. These days if it is bulky, or heavy, its gone, no one sponsors me on walkabout for diesel, or gives me freebies, and I'm not towing a trailor.
I can understand that many people prefer the convenience and quality of cooking on a Weber Q, even though it takes up a little storage space in the rig. Although sometimes it amuses me when you see people cooking on the BBQ right next to their roaring outdoor living/camping ambience open fire. I figure if you have one fire why have two!? Reality is these days camping is a different experience for most compared to what it used to be (in the old days :)) with many people taking along a range of items to maintain a level of comfort and convenience similar to what they'd enjoy at home.

Tink

I simply meant the temperature of an open fire is hard to control. If you want to cook on a shovel, knock yourself out, others have progressed :rolleyes:
Tink

Last edited:

Tink

I can understand that many people prefer the convenience and quality of cooking on a Weber Q, even though it takes up a little storage space in the rig. Although sometimes it amuses me when you see people cooking on the BBQ right next to their roaring outdoor living/camping ambience open fire. I figure if you have one fire why have two!? Reality is these days camping is a different experience for most compared to what it used to be (in the old days :)) with many people taking along a range of items to maintain a level of comfort and convenience similar to what they'd enjoy at home.
In the “old days” I slept on the ground under a nylon tarp. I have since matured and progressed to a level of comfort which I am happy with. If that includes cooking the perfect steak on my Weber, followed by a tasty dessert cooked earlier on my Weber, whilst sitting by an open fire for ambience then I am happy. A lot happier than knawing on a charred bit of meat and eating a stale monto carlo like I had to suffer in the “old days” :D:D
Each to their own mate.
Tink

Petunia

a level of comfort and convenience similar to what they'd enjoy at home.
A K A > Glamping. I am all for certain creature comforts. I recall one comment of a guy who did a trek, his words were "We took way to much ***t with us, and if we pumped our tyres up the hiway fuel economy improved''. As stated, once, I took cast iron with, in a camper trailer it tared near 1Ton, I never was game to weigh it loaded, once it was rolling it towed ace one just a bit slow off the start. Been there done that, and reverse evolution is cutting the weight and bulk.

If that includes cooking the perfect steak on my Weber
Back in late 1986 early 1987, I met a Greek man, who taught me how to cook steak. He did it on those little break your back leaning over mongrel plate bbq things at Queen Mary Falls. You may be familiar with the area. It was Rump steak too. [ the technique shall remain a secret ] [ there has to be an element of mystique ]

I am not knocking you for the Webber, nor anyone, Fire is a wonderful medium to cook with, this is my opinion, and I do knock myself out cooking with it. Understanding what type of wood, when to light it, how far down to let it burn, how much to burn separately from the coals you want to cook with.

While on walkabout, in a certain western QLD town, a camp oven meal was ''put on'' for the tourists. Well that was B & S it was all cooked off site then kept hot next to a trench of Gidyea coals. 16 hours later all I did was rake the coals over no extra fire was lit, did roast an 5 veg to rival the previous nights warm up.

On walkabout, I do not aim to make 1000klm each day over 7 to 10 days... I may only achieve 5000Klm over 3 weeks, part of my ideology is to take the time to see this big brown land, take the time to light a fire and cook, I enjoy myself, and have lots of memories. I learnt to laugh at myself first, so yes, I will bring out the shovel, dig a hole next to your webber and cook my steak on my shovel, you will remember ''that guy'' cooking on a shovel. :cool:

Silveredition

This is how we pack out BabyQ - I made a platform out of 19mm marine ply and routed a couple of grooved for the Webber ‘feet’ to sit in. A couple of blocks underneath the ply lock it into place in the Rhino Rack. One strap, and it is secure. No mess in the car (don’t have the space anyway!!
Thanks
62E30D4E-303E-429E-8C85-9A53A11E7FB0.jpeg

MrPoopypants

Bacon on grill and eggs in Hillbilly Egglets. Fast and easy
Tink

I had to google this one. One of the things I love about this site is the little tidbits you pick up in old threads.
Tink, these look like just the ticket. I love bacon and eggs for breaky, these things look perfect for all sorts of bbq, fireplaces, etc.
I'll order some in the morning. You learn something every day.
Thanks
PP

monbeg

I take mine everywhere in the Cub camper. The camper has it's own regulator so I just swap the hose to one with a bayonet fitting to fit the Cub.

A mob here in Adelaide (Halls Canvas) make a really good strong canvas bag just for the babyQ.

patrick_d

Hey guys

Wondering who uses a WeberQ while they're away out bush? We started out with a Coleman Fyreknight which we took away with us on its first trip then one of the burners stopped working on day two. So I took it back to bcf and swapped it for a WeberQ.

If you haven't cooked on a Q you're missing out! The steaks and roasts you can do are absolutely second to none. The pizza stone does amazing pizzas muffin pizzas and chips. Now I know that camping is all about cast iron camp stoves and hot coals BUT we do a fair bit of touring and some nights you don't have access to firewood or it's a fire season. Plus it takes up stuff all room and the gas bottle is used to run the hot water system as well.

I brought the 2000 which is the medium sized one just because we are regularly travelling with people and it's nice to be able to cook a decent size roast or a big feed of bacon eggs.

Let me know your receptors if you use one? We are heading away in two months for two months and would like a few ideas we can try while we are away.

Cheers

Sean

We were taking ours with us, zero regrets. I did get the folding table arms and the folding stand for mine, it served me well: pizzas, pork chops, meat and vegs... probably the best camp cooker we had even considering the size and additional accessories, it just worth it.
Switched only for a bigger one (second here) as kids started travelling with us + we have occasional parties.

Last edited:

mac_man_luke

I just picked up a baby q - considering making it my main cooking device and permanently mounted but interested to see how it goes first

Seems a little like it might rattle itself to pieces.

Bomber2012

I just picked up a baby q - considering making it my main cooking device and permanently mounted but interested to see how it goes first

Don’t know how it would go permanently mounted , I always take the barbie plates out of mine when travelling. Be interested to hear from anyone that has theirs mounted .

Neil Watts

Apologies first for not reading the whole thread but we take the Ziggy in the camper but only if were going somewhere for a permanent set up, 3 days or more.

cam04

My permanent mount setup is back on page 2. It’s done about 1/2 the country the hard way sitting there. Worse than permanent mounting is when I literally throw it in the back of the Ute and head off to Fraser. You won’t break one unless you are doing something very wrong.

Barra GU

Got introduced to the first series gas weber q's amd been hooked ever since 15 or so years ago.
I have the weber q220 and just surprises me that you can cook 45 to 60 bbqs off a single 9 kilo gas bottle...

The fact that it works off convection heating means you use little gas every bbq and something about the way they are designed that turns me into a gordon ramsay or salt bae (look him up) (if you know you know) every time i cook on it...

When i go camping i use nothing else... if i cant cook it on the q you wont find it in the fridge.

Whilst many are messing with coals etc (dont get me wrong im greek and can tell you some of the best meals ive had are with coals) i cbf'd waiting 2 hours to cook a meal when i been 4wding all day.

You turn it on... 5 minutes later youre cooking... 5 minutes after that you're eating...

Drewswb

My only bitch with ours was the plate no solid surface you had to buy it aftermarket, then I discovered bbq sheets ,happiness is never having to clean the bbq

cam04

Do the plates stay in place etc? do you hold the lid down with something?
9 out of 10 trips the plate stays put. I have converted mine to run on Coleman gas bottles and one of them on the hose coils up on the plate also. No i don’t fix the lid down. I have straps that run around the feet. That way it is ready to use immediately. I use it a lot on the road.

cam04

A bottle gets me a weekend away including a roast. Why? Portability, speed, ease of use. Being stored inside a gullwing on a camper, I either have to pay for another bayonet fitting to be installed or have to install a T piece to feed the stove and BBQ each time I open and close the lid, so the Coleman gas is the path of least resistance. I can also pick it up and take it anywhere (roasting on a park table etc is pretty common. I have refill adapters so cost isn’t an issue.