Who takes a WeberQ?

sharkcaver

Mines a CF40 .....I measured the slide...its 30 inches......measured the back area its 27" I have a full height Mitz cargo barrier View attachment 36717

I have the exact same barrier. Looking at your pic, it sits well rearward. You could do with extending those top brackets. Mine sits very near the back seats and I have 35" at the fridge shelf level + another 3" to the plastic trims on the door when closed. I had a bit more in the NP.

The coleman bottles might be easier to store, but you need a few of them if on a trip of any length. I refill mine - flame suit on.

Tobey

I just take a 2kg bottle. Will easily do for two weeks of camping, using the BBQ for breakfast and dinner.

EDIT: Quick calculation - Webber uses 9MJ/H a 2KG bottle will hold 98MJ. Which in turn gives you about 11 hours of BBQ at full power.

MyCrazy80

I never go out bush without my baby q sits perfectly beside my Engel I have my back seats folded up and use all of the rear as storage so I still have plenty enough room, but yeah I gotta agree steaks are awesome and roasts are nearly as good as a camp oven I get a helluva long time out of a 9kg gas bottle. For boiling water I use a gas master portable butane stove.

Swaggie

The coleman bottles might be easier to store, but you need a few of them if on a trip of any length. I refill mine - flame suit on.

I've been doing mine since about 2008...
The canisters were about $5.50 back then..

I'm very happy with the amount of time they last, but can freezer in cold weather, better off keeping them in the vehicle amongst clothing or Towels..

Tornado ALIVE

I also take the BabyQ away with me. It took up a lot of room in the back of the car. I use to store it in my drawers with the lid separated. I have now bought a bag for it and will look at strapping it to the roof rack along side my gas bottle.

image.jpeg

Bomber2012

I don't take mine on week enders any more as I find it takes up a fair bit of space . If it's a longer trip I always find some room for it , as has been mentioned it cooks steaks and roasts sensationally .
Tornado that bag and putting it on the roof sounds brilliant , next shopping item for me is one of those bags .:D:D:D

cloughcarib

We have the 2000 and I will say that it's bulky as hell compared to other small BBQ's we've owned.
And that's the only negative.
We've roasted a heck of a lot on it including beef, pork(best crackling I've ever done, with pull-apart meat), duck, potatoes, veges. .....the list goes on.
Incredible to grill on as well, but I need to keep an eye on it as it cooks so much quicker than a conventional BBQ.
No. I don't sell them. I just love ours.
We feed a family of 5 and it works well for us.

cam04

I don’t leave home without the baby q. It mainly lives on its shelf in the camper trailer unless I get away without the trailer. I use Coleman bottles. The bottle stays connected and fits under the lid. I use a lunchbox cooker for the mokka pot and boiling water when away from the camper. I may have a problem because I also have a 2200q for home duties. I like them a lot.

Attachments

• 914D10B4-72C1-4807-A626-6A75AC79CCEF.jpeg
    914D10B4-72C1-4807-A626-6A75AC79CCEF.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 330
  • 9D993137-45CB-424A-B449-F8F156838C46.jpeg
    9D993137-45CB-424A-B449-F8F156838C46.jpeg
    873.4 KB · Views: 301

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
For what it’s worth, I rate the Weber carry bag.
I’m a recent Weber convert, and wasn’t sure how the bag would hold up against outback bulldust, but with it fully exposed in the back of my tub on my recent 19,000+km trip, it only let the smallest amount of dust in through the zipper. And I really do mean the smallest amount. Almost nothing.

And while I’m making a BabyQ post, I’ll also add that the BBQ itself is surprisingly light on gas which has impressed me.
I’ve had the same 4kg gas bottle on it for seven weeks worth of travel, and it’s still got a couple of roasts worth of gas left in it. That even includes the one time I preheated it for over thirteen hours...

...okay, that probably needs an explaination.

So one night at the recent NSW meet, after a few drinks, I might’ve decided to cook myself a steak. I fired up the BabyQ, returned to the fire to allow it to warm up, continued to drink, and then forgot all about it.
It wasn’t till the next morning, when in a semi conscious state I started thinking about what I wanted to cook for breakfast, and realised I’d never returned from the fire to cook my steak.
(Insert naughty word of your choice)!
I was convinced I’d be out of gas, but got up to check anyway, and there it was, happily chooching away, waiting to do its thing.
Naturally, I had scotch fillet for breakfast. Followed by a double decker bacon and egg sammich. All done in the Weber.
Must say. Great hangover feed.

It was actually Jen that wanted the Weber initially, so I gave it to her as a present, not expecting to get much use out of it myself. Now I take it away with me all the time and use it more than her.
I think I owe her another pressie...

Last edited:

cam04

One of my clown mates in the 90’s plumbed his 6 burner into natural gas and managed to leave it running for a week. :) I’d forgotten all about it until I read your post.

01JVA

OMG I love my Baby Q -
In saying that, it depends on what we are up to as to what cookware we take... if it’s keeping on the move then the Weber is more suitable but if it’s a weekend in one spot, can’t beat cast iron on a camp fire :) I also have a Thermos Shuttlechef that can cook a mean casserole while we drive all day long :rolleyes:

I will say, the Weber is quite versatile from roasts to steak & sweet potato chips or a bread and butter pudding for dessert!

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
Here's ours in action on the tailgate at Midway Bore on the Talawana Track, WA..
Earth-9939.JPG

A hot meal and steamy shower was just what I needed after that day. That story is for another thread though. Possibly it's own.

Edit: Here's another of it from a couple of nights earlier..
Earth-9759.JPG

Last edited:

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
New swag mate ?
Nah, but it is the newest. That one only gets packed when we're both travelling. It's way too big for just me.
If I'm alone I'll stick with the one you would've seen me use. It's close to 20 years old now, and still my favourite (we own four swags in total).

skygear

I don’t leave home without the baby q. It mainly lives on its shelf in the camper trailer unless I get away without the trailer. I use Coleman bottles. The bottle stays connected and fits under the lid. I use a lunchbox cooker for the mokka pot and boiling water when away from the camper. I may have a problem because I also have a 2200q for home duties. I like them a lot.
what sink stove combo is that