Who takes a WeberQ?

Sean Caulfield

Hey guys

Wondering who uses a WeberQ while they're away out bush? We started out with a Coleman Fyreknight which we took away with us on its first trip then one of the burners stopped working on day two. So I took it back to bcf and swapped it for a WeberQ.

If you haven't cooked on a Q you're missing out! The steaks and roasts you can do are absolutely second to none. The pizza stone does amazing pizzas muffin pizzas and chips. Now I know that camping is all about cast iron camp stoves and hot coals BUT we do a fair bit of touring and some nights you don't have access to firewood or it's a fire season. Plus it takes up stuff all room and the gas bottle is used to run the hot water system as well.

I brought the 2000 which is the medium sized one just because we are regularly travelling with people and it's nice to be able to cook a decent size roast or a big feed of bacon eggs.

Let me know your receptors if you use one? We are heading away in two months for two months and would like a few ideas we can try while we are away.

Cheers

Sean

sharkcaver

Webber, even the baby q is too big for me. I use a cheaper variant, the gasmate cruiser. Its certainly not the quality of the webber, but its smaller and has a solid plate. Nothing worse than meat juice leaking out your barbie into the car carpets cause the mini q has a half solid/half grill plate. Guess where the juice ends up with the grill plate? The cruiser has had plenty of use and still going strong - so that's a good note about its performance/quality. With that said, I only take this away if I am camped up with the CT in the one spot for a while. Space is a premium for me, particularly so if I don't have the CT on the back. So if its just a weekender or vehicle trip, it gets left at home. Hotplate on the gas stove then if needed.

Sean Caulfield

Webber, even the baby q is too big for me. I use a cheaper variant, the gasmate cruiser. Its certainly not the quality of the webber, but its smaller and has a solid plate. Nothing worse than meat juice leaking out your barbie into the car carpets cause the mini q has a half solid/half grill plate. Guess where the juice ends up with the grill plate? The cruiser has had plenty of use and still going strong - so that's a good note about its performance/quality. With that said, I only take this away if I am camped up with the CT in the one spot for a while. Space is a premium for me, particularly so if I don't have the CT on the back. So if its just a weekender or vehicle trip, it gets left at home. Hotplate on the gas stove then if needed.

Ah yeah fair enough. I am happy with the size of mine. It's big enough to do a roast and do the potatoes and stuff around the outside. I have actually built a storage area with the weber in mind so I have a space already made for it.

With the weber I don't get a build up of fat at all. It drops into a removable aluminium foil tray at the bottom. Just give it a quick wipe out when you're done and you'll never have a problem with meat juices getting splashed around. I'm especially aware of that considering it has to live inside the car.

It's the food that's amazing though! I carry mine with me every where I go.

sharkcaver

Very good. I've never done a roast in mine. Maybe one day I should try that.

Good to hear the juices end up in a drip tray. That was always my concern re a grill plate.

But for me, when I'm in the car, I cant find room for the cruiser, let alone a webber:

Sean Caulfield

Yeah mate she is pretty full there! I have mine set up like this; so the two fridges are under the floor and the weber is on the right hand side. Then I use a similar set up to you with using tubs in the back so we can remove stuff as we need it. I only have photos of it before it was finished. It's all been marine carpeted now and finished off properly.

Anyway that off topic completely.

Attachments

sharkcaver

Two fridges......one can only dream. Nice set up. Unfortunately with a 3rd passenger I cant remove seats and end up with a badly packed kebab :eek:

smokeydk

sharkcaver I was going to do a setup like yours I have a NP Pajero...I bought a waeco fridge slide....but it was too long as my cargo barrier was in way

peterfermtech

Bought a baby Q about 6months ago for use in my "holiday hut". Done a few roasts, Steak chops sausages, pizza and even cooked bacon eggs and toast. The light rye bread toasted up a treat in it. Could imagine taking it away in summer to replace the camp oven meal during total fire bans. Couldn't imagine it as a permanent fixture though.

regards

Hewy54

No room for a Webber,b ut bought a Ziggy instead. Smaller storage as the lid folds under, and more versatile as it has a higher heat output.

sharkcaver

sharkcaver I was going to do a setup like yours I have a NP Pajero...I bought a waeco fridge slide....but it was too long as my cargo barrier was in way
What sized waeco? It will fit the CFX50/65 no drama's with a barrier. I have a 50 in there and would have thought anything below a waeco 80 would too:

smokeydk

Mines a CF40 .....I measured the slide...its 30 inches......measured the back area its 27" I have a full height Mitz cargo barrier
shelf1.JPG

eman

We have a Weber baby Q which is great for bbqs and roasts, breakfasts we still use the butane stove due to the grill
Have tried the breakfast plate but that takes forever to heat up, have also tried teflon sheets but you need it perfectly level to cook eggs, butane stove and frypan is much easier. I have seen a replacement solid plate which I may end up getting, wont solve the coffee issue though
They are pretty bulky when packing up, we remove the lid from ours and store it separately from the base. The grill gets stored in a canvas bag. We use the green Coleman type gas bottles with an adapter instead of the traditional bottles

Sean Caulfield

That's a good idea using the Coleman has bottles. They're easier to store. I have the flat replacement plate and I love it. I also just use egg rings for my eggs so I do t have the problem with them running away.

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
After reading this thread, I pulled out our Weber Q, that we got maybe seven or eight years ago that was supposed to be for camping.
Never been used once.:eek: Usually just have a two burner and camp oven, but am going to get hold of a tray and trivet to suit and take it on our SA trip in a couple of weeks and give it a go.

Sean Caulfield

Tanbloke you wont regret it. You can do the best steaks, pizzas, chops and the roast are second to none. Roast pork pour water on it add a heap of salt and oil into it and bang it on for an hour and a bit and it will be the best pork you'll ever have.

The thing to remember is to always cook with the lid down. Even steaks and stuff just open it once flip them and shut the lid again. Get a pizza stone! Muffins with pizza topping on them are awesome they come out so crunchy. Anyway I love mine. Wouldn't take anything else. Like Tobey I just use a billy for boiling water and gas hot water system all the other times.