Who is listening?

boobook

I have had this happen to me many times.

I once said to my wife "we need to get dog food." The phone was on the coffee table. Later that morning when I went on the internet the first advert that popped up was the exact brand of food we buy.
We always did the shopping online. So they took the verbal data and matched it to our search history data. So yes they certainly are listening.
They even have a term for this type of data collection - SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM.
Hang on Duncan. So you have a dog... and presumably buy dog food about weekly. And you always buy the same brand.

I'd be more suspicious of your credit card, the receipts from the online shopping. Etc. You could not even have a phone and it would be easy to identify your buying habits.

Isn't it better that you get ads for specials on your favourite dog food than say budgie food anyway?

discomatt

Yep nothing to see here, in China they set up face recognition on millions of cameras to track people, then they all started wearing face asks so now they have software that tracks mannerisms and the way people walk. Some will say BS but they also probably say BS on millions being in slave labour camps which are commonly called re education camps for minority groups

boobook

I think that video supports the theory below. For most people taking a phone apart and removing the microphone is a bit extreme. But for Edward Snowden, the EX CIA guy who leaked millions of US and other country secrets ( 60,000 Australian ones) , including those of private citizens who got sucked into his releases, sure he will definitely be bugged in every hole he has got.

It's kind of a self-fulfilling vicious cycle.

The more of a kook you are, the more you believe you are being watched and post crap. Therefore the more you need to be monitored for the kooky conspiracies you spread. So you get more paranoid. So you post more stupid things. So you get watched more.

slivertoy

happened to me a few times on Faceache., this one got me though, Sunday i decided to fix the sagging hood lining on the wifes car, just a random thing to do, didn't talk about it, to anyone, didn't buy anything, as i already had some 3M sticky spray in the shed. Phone was in my pocket.
Took a while to do it properly, Go inside, jump on Faceache, and low and behold, there's an add for mobile hood lining repairs:eek:
I blurted out "EEEEFFF Me, showed the wife my phone and she said, "Yeah, so what", i asked her if she knew what i was doing for the last 2 hours, she said Nup, No conversation about it at all, no access to my phone camera and the add pops up, Go figure
Must be the new 5G tower near my place, ;)

Chatty

As the old saying goes - even conspiracists are right now and then. But really, it comes down to sheer random chance and that coincidences do happen.
You talked about getting KFC for dinner and then 5 minutes later an ad for KFC pops up. Conspiracy? Nope - just random chance, somewhat weighted by the fact that you have searched for KFC stores near you in the last week or two. Or that you have a history of visiting KFC stores. How many other people talked about getting KFC and didn't get an ad? (I'm one - discussed it with Trish a few days ago - still waiting for the ad) How many people didn't talk about getting KFC and did get the ad?
You go to fix the hood lining and bam, an ad pops up on your phone. Conspiracy? Nope - I bet you searched for something about hood lining in the past though, based on you thinking about fixing it for some time now.

The simple fact is that the human brain is hard wired to connect the dots - to see something as connected to our actions or is an alignment of the stars or whatever - when in reality the "bingo!" event is just simple random chance.
We, as humans, want to believe that there is a reason for everything, when the fact is that there's so many of us doing (and thinking) things that the random events have to line up pretty regularly.

Do I care that Google tracks my history to send me targeted ads? Not really - I don't buy anything based on advertising - it's one of the joys of living full time in a caravan, we don't have room for "stuff" so all advertising is wasted on us.

Do I care that CIA, ASIO, NASA or the Church of Scientology may be listening in on my microphone? Nope - because if they are, they're listening to hours upon hours of pretty mundane crap about a pretty mundane life.

dabbler

About a week ago when sitting around a fire and talking about "nothing and everything" as you do, a mate mentioned his veteran truck rebuild and how he was considering aluminium rims. Lo and behold, I start to get ads for Alcoa Rims.

After some head-scratching, I remembered searching Google for Aluminium and later searching for rims. Then I also realized I never saw ads for braking systems and brake cylinder rebores which was the second part of the truck conversation but not related to any recent Google search.

My interpretation, yes it's possible and no it's not probable. We give enough away when we use our devices and no one needs to secretly monitor, filter and interpret our conversations.

Grippy

I've never had it on my gear as I don't have social media and disable mic etc in apps that don't need it.
Last year however, all Apple products, we ran some lessons with our upper primary on being safe on internet etc and this topic came up, the kids grabbed some of the school iPads and started randomly talking about random stuff, fishing lures etc, low and behold, when they opened YouTube, they got fishing suggestions.
The students teacher next door was getting suggestions for Just Dance as the kids kept talking about it at the end of the day and it's not something he would have ever looked at or searched for.

sparksy

A while back daughter was visiting and we discussed grabbing takeaway for dinner, Kebabs were mentioned but not where to get them as we have a favorite place, ( daughter doesnt live near us ). Daughter suggested she will come with me and off we went, Drove into next street and her Iphone piped up and said it will be 12 minutes to kebab shop and showed on map. Now there are 2 other kebab shops that are closer to us but it didnt show them just our favorite. My android phone kept quiet.

Triton14

Almost every online site you visit asks you to accept cookies, what do you think these "cookies" are doing :rolleyes:

At the end of the day if you have any Tech(phone/internet/Tv etc you are traceable & recordable on visits.

At the end of the day you would have to expect there would be an invasion of privacy because most of the time you have agreed to it when agreeing to accept cookies or even having agreed to download Apps or whatever.

Even this website does it which many people have had issue with.

These are the times!!

Chatty

I've never had it on my gear as I don't have social media and disable mic etc in apps that don't need it.
Last year however, all Apple products, we ran some lessons with our upper primary on being safe on internet etc and this topic came up, the kids grabbed some of the school iPads and started randomly talking about random stuff, fishing lures etc, low and behold, when they opened YouTube, they got fishing suggestions.
The students teacher next door was getting suggestions for Just Dance as the kids kept talking about it at the end of the day and it's not something he would have ever looked at or searched for.
Your experience is common for Apple products, as they turn on Siri by default - and then Siri is listening all the time, to see if she's wanted...

Thankfully with Android products you can choose to not enable Alexa (and/or Bixby on Samsung) - and I never enable them as I hate talking to my phone...

Grippy

Your experience is common for Apple products, as they turn on Siri by default - and then Siri is listening all the time, to see if she's wanted...

Thankfully with Android products you can choose to not enable Alexa (and/or Bixby on Samsung) - and I never enable them as I hate talking to my phone...
It's interesting as I've talked to a few apple owners where it's happened, the kids in my class were quite freaked out by it.

My Android phone is enabled all the time for Google Assistant in my car and as my house has all sorts of stuff to turn on with it and Google Home speakers in multiple rooms and out the back and I never get ads or any suggestions based on what anyone's talked about even if I've asked the Google speaker something, only related to the things I've actually typed and searched for.

mikehzz

The only people listening to, or tracking you with cookies are people trying to sell you stuff. If it was the government then crime would disappear and contact tracing would be a doddle. My Google assistant doesn't seem to know what I'm saying when I want him to listen. :D

Did you really think they were going to stop at knowing and tracking your location and Facebook watching to send you the ads.
Log onto gumtree and watch your email spam LOL.

With most developed countries having privacy laws to stop them going too far, where do you think they were going to try it on?

Now that all the scum are doing it and it has got to the stage of activating cameras and mics without our knowledge, in the privacy of our homes, I think the time has come for us to have some privacy laws but forcing the govt will not be easy.