Who has blocked their EGR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarrah

He guys. I am curious as to how many have blocked their EGR system on their diesel rigs? If have what the overall outcome is.
Cheers

Tappet

There is some benifit. For driving, comes on boost just little faster, better throttle response and in some cases slightly better fuel consumption.

Main benifit is your not blowing exhaust gunk and carbon into the inlet manifold.

I have seen a comon rail engine that one of the inlet runners was so caked up you hardly pass your finger thru it.

Be aware that on some late model engines it will throw a fault code and in some cases even go into limp mode.

Last edited:

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
It is illegal as it modifies the emmissions control of the engine, it's there so the engines can meet EPA regs/equivalent for cars.

Has down sides as already mentioned. One of those things, if no one knows you've done it, they can't fine you for it.

billolga

It is illegal as it modifies the emmissions control of the engine, it's there so the engines can meet EPA regs/equivalent for cars.

Has down sides as already mentioned. One of those things, if no one knows you've done it, they can't fine you for it.

I know NOTHING! I don't have a problem with mine anymore for some reason.;)

"I'm sorry officer, how DID that ball-bearing get sikaflexed in that vacuum line??? Must have been the previous owner!" ;)

muc the truck

I sold a perfectly good 4jb1t with a 156,000kms on it . the new owner blocked off the egr and fiddled with the pump timing and it blew up in a ball of fire out the exhaust before it reach 200,000kms , cracked block , go ahead make my day.

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
From what I've read and heard there is a mixed result after blocking the EGR pipe on a TD5.
Some do report better fuel consumtion or slight performance rise.
This is atributed to a sticky valve alowing gases to pass all the time.

I've read it also raises the exhaust tempratures from folk who measure theses things.

A small copper coin ground down was the go on the old cross falcon, not that I'd know:rolleyes:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I've thought about it, and read plenty on it, but probably not going to bother.

Will fit the new oil catch can I bought next week, that should keep things a bit cleaner (MAP sensor and inlet manifold in particular, will be interesting when I remove the MAP next week to clean it) . . . I bought this from Chip Tuning (Robert) here on the forum, and from what I read on his website he also has a service where they flash the ECU to stop codes coming up ???
Maybe he'll pipe in and advise exactly what he does and recommends to keep things clean.

Oh, and I run Castrol 2T 2SO in my fuel.
It does amake a difference to smoothness and produces less exhaust smoke.

krazed

I sold a perfectly good 4jb1t with a 156,000kms on it . the new owner blocked off the egr and fiddled with the pump timing and it blew up in a ball of fire out the exhaust before it reach 200,000kms , cracked block , go ahead make my day.

inevitably at some stage this is what all diesels with and egr system will look like if left un-blanked . Some guys need there manifolds cleaned at 50000 some at 200000 but it will happen. I rest easy knowing i shant be having and carbon related issues :D

(internals of a manifold left un blanked)

Mitsu-Intake-Manifold-before-EGR-Blanking-2.jpg

rob_macca67

I've done my D22 Navara Ute resulting in slight increase in torque on takeoff and I noticed the turbo whistle more..... that's about it that I can remember...

billolga

Are you saying that blocking the EGR or fiddling with the pump timing or a combination of both caused the cracked block or did they get the blame? (Don't shoot me down Muc - I am being serious):)

krazed

Are you saying that blocking the EGR or fiddling with the pump timing or a combination of both caused the cracked block or did they get the blame? (Don't shoot me down Muc - I am being serious):)

I dont see how blocking the egr pipe could cause it . All you are essentially doing is diverting it to blow out your turbo (how a turbo diesel is supposed to work) rather than sending it back through your manifold .

Tappet

That's what I was wondering.

Always change one thing at a time that way you know what caused the blowup:)

Blocking the EGR may raise EGTs slightly. The purpose of piping exhuast into the induction side is to is put a slight damper on the combustion process (for want of a better term) to reduce levels on NOX. A cause of acid rain. In fact raising EGT's may clean up the exhuast in other ways, like less particulates. I know after I done mine there was less black smoke on progression.

I think alot depends on how you drive. If your giving it heaps everywhere blocking the thing off maybe detramental. I do know on most common rail diesels the the EGR valve is closed at idle and wide open throttle. One of the reasons they do that is Tthe way NOX is measured, is grams emitted per kilometer under normal driving conditions.

I have seen for example the Nissan TD25 engine that is sold in some overseas markets where the EGR is not required at all. Same engine just has a plate over the flange on the inlet. Maybe the fuel mapping is changed on those models. Who knows?

muc the truck

it ran hoter from the day he fiddled with it , came back *****in to me , after i told him to put it back how it was . it was in vic 43 deg and for the first time in the cars life had i sen it up above 1/3 on the temp gauge . most people get 300,000kms plus out of the 4jb1t.

the vehicle suffered valve, piston, damage about 2 years later . rod cracked the block.

maybe if he left the pump alone it would not have died. but then i have seen blocked off egr tin rust and end up contaminating the intake with its rust residue so wich is worse , lump of metal or a bit of carbon , who nows . i have seen allsorst of crap done when changing engines over and is allwys made me wonder did this kill it , is this the reason i am now fiting a new engine . egt do get hoter without egr to cool it in top gear . most 4x4 dont use egr any other time so i really struggle were people get the impretion that . Oh its goes heaps better. more torque for off road . as far as i am conserned your beter off fitting a catch can to deal with carbon problems . atleast your leagal

one of the funniest things i have seen on a dead engine was pantyhose wrapeed around the water pump impellor rendering it useless. they guy put it in the radiator hose to filter scale out of the very dead radiator. it cost him a engine and a radiator.

Last edited:

krazed

I do know on most common rail diesels the the EGR valve is closed at idle and wide open throttle.

Its open on cruising speeds and all the way up to full throttle . At full throttle it is closed . Emissions aren't tested at full throttle therefore most manufactures close the valve so that you get clean air in and better performance .

krazed

Muc ,

Copper or stainless are the only things that should be used for a blank plate . using tin is a recipe for disaster lol . While i agree that fitting a catch can is a good thing (next on my list) it is only a partial solution . Yes it will reduce carbon build ups by catching the oily residue that helps the carbon build up but it will not completely stop the carbon build up process .

Status
Not open for further replies.