Who buys their fuel from Coles?

offspray

Deisel

I think Coles and BP are always dearer than most of others, and i think you can pay more for groceries. What we should do is black ban one servo, say Coles and buy some were else, say for two weeks and see if they would bring there prices down, and for it to work you would have to get every single motorise to do that. Dont like my chances tho. Cheers Rob

BUSHNUT

Go by the old adage

What is too good to be true , generally is

A good rule of thumb when travelling is to fill up where the big transports fill up, not so critical with petrol and LPG because compared to Diesel they are reasonably forgiving motors - get a crap batch of diesel and you'll know about , flushing out contaminated fuel lines may be the least of your problem and your expense.

When I am in a stirring mood before filling , I just go into the where they take the cash and ask to see their certificate indicating that the fuel they sell or have in their tanks meets the Australian standards - watch them get all flustered especially if there is a queue. Half of the nitwits wouldn't know what you are talking about.

Something to that anyone who is in the transport game allready knows - Fuel is the cheapest thing you spend on your vehicle !

Happy Trails

Bushnut

Aus Patriot

For our Crd Patriot I have just been putting in BP diesel.
I tried Coles diesel in our VW Jetta TDI a few times and never hit the 950-1000km per tank. Then went back to BP and the TDI was so much smoother and 1000km was no problem on 49L.

Patriot

Administrator
Hey Aus Patriot,

I will give BP a go. I have noticed the fluctuations between 6.2 l / 100 and 7.3 but I normally fill up at Coles/Shell and I have wondered if it is a quality issue.

Cheers,

James

lars

used to buy my petrol from shell with the coles vouchers when I was driving a commodore but since getting a diesel landcruiser found the diesel was always more than 4c dearer than the BP across the road from my usual servo so even with the discount voucher you were worse off. how bloody stupid do this mob reckon we are ?

Ven

i have never really bought my fuel from there, definatley wont anymore.

i usually go to united as its just down the road and seems to always be among the cheapest.

x [Heels] x

I've never used a discount doc, lol. I go to any, but my nearest is a Shell, BP & Caltex, i find Caltex to be the cheapest, but i use Unleaded not gas.

BP or Caltex only. BP has a fuel quality guarantee and Caltex Vortex gives a noticeable improvement in performance. I used to only ever buy the Ethanol blend from United for two reasons. It's always 4 cents cheaper than anyone else and I hate big multi national corporations that suck the life blood out of the little guy. The latter was my little protest agains the big 4 oil companies. I read somwewhere once that if everyone stopped buying their fuel at the big 4, and only shopped at independents, the big companies would have to drop their prices to attract back customers. It's a good theory....if everyone did it....but not many people do. So, it was back to the majors for me.

However after reading a lot about damaged engines as a result of contaminated fuels, I switched back to the majors but only stick with BP or Caltex. I try and avoid anything else except out of absolute necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:

centaur

Hey all,

Interesting story on how Coles fuel docket's may not be the cheapest way to buy fuel. I generally use coles, but I use diesel and I don' think the price changes that much and isn't subject to the usual swings that petrol is.

James

Never bought fuel from there, and probably never will. I get it from my local guy, he is as honest as the day is long, and on trips, only ever get it from where I see a lot of trucks, so figure must be a good place for fuel and food, and it has done me well, so far.

Fuel is the last thing I want to be wasting money on, and clearing fuel lines/tanks is not my idea of fun..

bt50boy

i always go to bp, i must admit i have used 7-11 servos a few times but i have seen the bp trucks in there so assuming they have what the label has on it i am cool ( foxx i know they sell to other brands as well)

i usually get another 50-100km out of a tank from bp. Due to major deisel issues a few years ago they have really lifted their quality.

it all basically comes from the same place anyway....

Yes basically you're right but the difference lies in what additives each company puts in their fuels. Of all the premium unleadeds I've tried and it pretty much covers all of them, Caltex Vortex comes out on top for giving my Jackaroo a little more oomph than the rest.

It might also be vehicle specific so what may work for me might not necessarily work for the next person.

Sharky

My neighbours brother is a chemist for BP refineries. All fuel in OZ comes from BP at some point. They do their own things to it. If you supplied fuel to other companies you would keep the best for yourself wouldn't you? BP ultimate is the cleanest burning pump petroleum you can readily get. I'm a mechanic & have proven this many times. I'm the one who gets to see all the carbon build up on your head(s), & the one who diagnoses the probs with timing & condesation issues from cheap or low grade fuel. I only use BP ultimate in my race jet ski, moto-x bike & used to use it in all of my street cars.

There are other good fuels. Vortex is not too bad. There are also dodgy BP stations. I live near 1. I've found the best diesel at a Peak station. They're cheap, & my Cruiser & Patrol both run noticeably better, with more power, & better economy. So there are really too many variables to say every BP station will make your car go better but it's a good rule of thumb.

vossy

I found the shell fuel (Diesel) for some reason gives me worse economy than all the others. I'm talking only a small amount.
Even my bike hates shell fuel.
As for the shopper dockets the 2 petrol stations close to me (shell and caltex) the shell is always 4 to 6 cents dearer than the caltex, so the docket is usually a waste of time.

When I use BP fuel whether it be in my 4x4 or bike I've always found them to run alot smoother. The only problem for me its a 50km return trip just to fill up with BP.

My neighbours brother is a chemist for BP refineries. All fuel in OZ comes from BP at some point. They do their own things to it. If you supplied fuel to other companies you would keep the best for yourself wouldn't you? BP ultimate is the cleanest burning pump petroleum you can readily get. I'm a mechanic & have proven this many times. I'm the one who gets to see all the carbon build up on your head(s), & the one who diagnoses the probs with timing & condesation issues from cheap or low grade fuel. I only use BP ultimate in my race jet ski, moto-x bike & used to use it in all of my street cars.

There are other good fuels. Vortex is not too bad. There are also dodgy BP stations. I live near 1. I've found the best diesel at a Peak station. They're cheap, & my Cruiser & Patrol both run noticeably better, with more power, & better economy. So there are really too many variables to say every BP station will make your car go better but it's a good rule of thumb.

You're absolutely right. As far as I know, BP is the ONLY company that gives a guarantee of quality with their fuels. However, from my personal experience, the Caltex Vortex gives me a noticeable improvement in performance in my Jackaroo over the BP. Either way, they're both good and I suppose at the end of the day, when you are in a small remote town and your fuel gauge is reading empty, you'd probably put whatever is available in your tank.

Desperate people do desperate things.

sunburn

Interesting on whats beeen said about BP because in my experience with their 91 unleaded I get about 60 less out of my tank than anyone else. Also I don't like using ethanol in my truck because I get less km's also and often that's all they supply.

So yeah, I don't use BP.

BEK

4x4 Earth Contributer
I have also been warned from the Shell Optimax. It can create problems with fuel lines when not used for a while, usually in the sub tanks. Tends to create a jelly like residue which needs flushing before the lines are at full capacity again hping oif course it doesn't gum up the injectors before that.

When you weigh it all up 4c per litre on say an 80 litre fill is only a $3.20 saving.