Change background image

While the people are out the cat will play.

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Noel Preston, May 14, 2018.

1. Noel Preston

Noel Preston Active Member

My wife and I went for a day trip today to Bribie Island leaving our 7+ year old rescue cat Chequers to mind the house. At no time did we tell her she could have a party or invite anyone over. After we arrived home my wife headed for the bathroom and saw something up the hallway and first thought was the cat had crapped inside. Turned the light on and then she could see it was a snake, of course she called me. I looked at the motionless snake and a bit of blood on the carpet and assumed it was dead. I reached down and picked up the snake by the tail and then I saw it's head somewhat quickly coming towards my hand. My wife handed me the kitchen tongs and I picked it up with the tongs. WP_20180512_11_07_11_Pro.jpg WP_20180514_17_14_26_Pro.jpg

2. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

We live next to the bush and have a big netted in enclosure off the house to keep my wife's bastards.....err, I mean cats, from getting out into it. They often snag a stray snake that gets through a gap and bring it into the house for us. They've also given us quite a few funnel webs. I read somewhere that the funnel web venom doesn't really affect them. It must be true because its cats twenty something and spiders nill.

abw likes this.
  3. Noel Preston

I reckon the cat has killed about 6 of these things. When our dog was alive she was bitten by one and made her quite ill and of course a trip to the vet.

4. Blue_haired_man

Blue_haired_man Well-Known Member

Bloody snakes. Lost a pup to a Brown a few weeks ago. Thats a whip snake isn’t it?

5. Noel Preston

Yes, whip snake. We seem to get them every year. We have had them on the patio, trying to find a way through the screen on the kitchen window, at the front door and of course in the garden.

6. Blue_haired_man

You and me both. I’ve relocated about 5 this year, cheeky buggers love my patio as well.

7. Noel Preston

The cat relocates them permanently. Once injured they don't live. I don't like snakes at all especially since being bitten by one and not knowing I had been bitten, I was sick for 3 or 4 days. I had no idea what sort of snake it was except by the distance between the fang holes it was big.

Spooner and LCV8VICTORIA like this.
  8. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I married into cats and I don't love them. Just last night I got into trouble for throwing an ottoman cushion at one - sharpening claws on the couch.....
    For an apparently silent, stealthy hunter the sound of all three of them galloping after a freshly released rat at 2.00 A.M. on the timber floors in the dining room certainly wakes up the whole house. Evidently we have a magic never ending rats nest somewhere nearby too - just my luck.

Albynsw and Swaggie like this.
  9. Noel Preston

I'm not a cat person but I was ambushed one night when I pulled up for a sleep in my semi trailer, some bastard had dumped 3 kittens near Moranbah and it had been raining heavily and they took shelter on top of my engine. Every time I lifted them down they jumped back up again. Finished up with 3 in the cabin with me. Gave two away at a truck stop up the road and got stuck with the one we have although I did manage to give her away too but when I took a step towards mt truck she leapt from the woman I gave her to back onto me so we were stuck with it. She also rips into the lounge if she can't get our attention.

Spooner and cam04 like this.
  10. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

11. Noel Preston

I think to die from a whip snake bite you would have to be pretty unwell to begin with. A woman in the Redlands where I live was hospitalised after being bitten by one but she wasn't in danger. I went to our local vet when the unidentified snake bit me just so they could confirm it was snake bite but it was three days old by then, too late to do anything. I got over it.

12. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yes, I think it said he was on different medications at the time. Sad but.
    I got bit by a spider last year , after a few beer cans I went to get another piece of firewood and didn't bother with my gloves.
    A black bugger jumped out and bit me real hard in the index finger near the top joint . I screamed like a girl , lol and dropped the wood onto it which squashed it flat.
    Had big fang bite marks and took nearly 2 months for the pain to go away . Hurt and burned like crazy for a while.
    Had me worried at the time .

13. Noel Preston

I was told that it is not uncommon to not feel a snake bite but a spider bite is extremely painful as they twist about with their fangs in you. I didn't get medical help with the snake bite as by the time I realised what it was if it was going to kill me it would have already happened but a bite from a Huntsman spider made me seek help from a doctor due to infection. I was saved with the snake bite because it bit me through my sock and most of the poison was on the sock.

14. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Snakes like to conserve their venom amd often “dry bite” initially as a warning

15. Noel Preston

Yes, had that as well, two small scratches just before the bite. It happened at the Chimneys near Kilkivan on a June long weekend, I guess I must have inadvertently disturbed his hibernation. I had a patch of blood about 75mm in diameter on my sock with a ring of gold about 6mm wide all the way around the blood. The blood was brown and the vet reckoned the gold was the venom and the blood was brown because of the venom affecting the red blood cells.

16. Blue_haired_man

Bloody lucky to get away relatively unscathed mate.

Off topic but I have recently heard snakes, especially in the northern half of Australia, don’t actually hibernate. They slow down to conserve energy and try to keep warm, but browns are known to be active above 4 degrees. So it definitely pays to be vigilant year round. You probably didn’t want to hear that though.
    Cheers

17. Noel Preston

This one was just north of Gympie near Kilkivan and it's bloody cold there in winter. I initially thought leeches had got me as it had happened a couple of weeks earlier. By Monday night I had no ill effects, it wasn't until I woke the next morning that I felt crook. Couldn't understand wht the bloodnhad stopped flowing with leeches though. I guess it must of helped that I was driving a series 3 Land Rover and my leg was virtually upright and circulation wasn't as good as when sleeping.

18. Blue_haired_man

Yeah not too far from my place and I’ve seen browns and also a taipan sunning themselves while out checking around the place on some of those bloody cold days.

19. Noel Preston

I have a book about Dangerous Australians and around Kilkivan there is prctically every snake you can think of residng there.

20. Blue_haired_man

Yeah, it’s quicker to name the snakes that don’t reside in this area than the ones that do haha