Which puncture repair kit to buy?

poverty rider

My hunt started off as a simple "tyre valve removal tool" search then I figured some spare valves and caps would be a good inclusion so I began my internet crawl. It wasn't long before I came to the conclusion that a tyre repair kit would be a better investment.

Now it gets interesting. From ARB to Ebay, Supercheap to TJM, and a plethora of other providers and with varying kits and pricing etc., deciding which kit to purchase soon became a dilemma. Too many options!!

Being a newbie to the 4WD world, I would be very grateful if other more experienced and knowledgeable forumites can offer their opinions and advice so, at the least, I can make an informed decision.

Cheers,
Brian

Chatty

I bought the ARB kit, but only because I got it cheap when I bought new tyres for the rig. I have looked at the ARB/SCA/Anaconda/TJM/BCF, etc, etc kits whenever I have seen them - if they all don't come out of the same factory, I reckon they must come out of the factory next door.

For my money, get the kit with the most plugs and sealant for the least dollars. Make sure it has the complete tool set (some are sold as "refill" kits, so only have the plugs and consumable items) and keep your eyes open for bargains on special at places like BCF, SCA and Anaconda.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yep, got an ARB one myself early on.
After using a sleeve of plugs over a couple of years, I bought an Anaconda one as a spare to take on big trips, same contents and $25 on special vs ARB one for $60.
Both do the same job.

stevemc181

Tyre repair gear is one thing I haven't skimped on. I can repair most punctures at least good enough to get me to the next town. Radial Patches, Mushroom patches, permacure plugs, R&R bead breaker, levers, inner liner sealer, buffing compound, and associated tyre changing and repair gear.

I carry the small box pictured below in the rear drawers all the time. The beadbreaker and levers, mallet etc only go in the back when I am heading remote. I think the ARB plug kit has better quality tools than the other cheapies around, but I'd still use Tech-Tyre perma-cure plugs instead of what the kit comes with.

Most of the items stack into the small box.

Superdad

the free on Pat Callinan mag did a comparison an issue or 2 back. worth a look. ARB from memory came up well

Albynsw

ARB style ones are good, they have a decent handle on the tools

Whatever one you end up with have a look at the quality of the T bar handle on the plug inserting tool. With a heavy construction 4wd tyre you need to apply a fair bit of pressure to push a plug in and have heard stories of the cheaper plastic handles breaking under load and you can end up with a nasty hole in the palm of your hand from the metal rod.

80lover96gxl

Agree with the guys on the tools, iv had the ARB kit for about 5 yrs now and can't fault it but I did get it for free. I also came to aquire a cheapo SCA kit that on first use had the handle on the plug driver tool snap ( wasn't even applying much pressure ) would hate to have that happen in the middle of BFNW.

Better off paying the bit extra and getting a decent quality set.

Albynsw

mikehzz

Yep make sure the plug kits have a metal handle. I've seen the scar on a guy's hand where the plastic handle disintergrated and the shaft went all the way through his palm as he was pushing it through the tyre. The ARB kit is good.

Frankensurf

Plugs are supposed to be an emergency temporary repair, so for that use it doesn't seem to matter too much which way you go. I've used a basic $10 SCA kit and a slightly more substantial $12 Aldi kit with equal success. The plugs lasted for ages in both cases. Keep an eye out for the Aldi sales and grab a kit or two when they come up. They're good value.

ULost2

does anyone carry an inner tube these days?
carrying an old one also was something done in tube days. Can be handy for some fix-ups

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Spare tube, have carried one for desert trips, boy they are heavy, but maybe a good last resort.
You need to take all the tools to rebead though, which is a fair bit of extra kit.
I also have some awesome truck tyre patches and vulcanising glue.

I had an original Dunlop AT22 with side wall plug put in when it was near new, lasted whole life of tyre down to tread depth.
That tyre did lots of highway driving to / from some big trips, and even a quick stint at 130 on NT zoned area just north is SA border.

stevemc181

I also carry a spare tube when going remote, this can be used for repairing a severely damaged tyre in the event of a big sidewall tear along with some zippy ties to pull it all together. Not ideal, but might allow me to limp it out of the bush.
It can also be cut up and used as an emergency CV boot if you happen to tear one. I don't have any issues with reseating the bead using a standard ARB compressor and I've had my tyres (Mickey T ATZ P3) on and off at home several times adding and removing balancing beads etc. I make sure the inner bead is pushed hard up against the wheel and then stand it up and give a couple of taps with the rubber mallet if required. Seems to seat itself no problems.

Last edited:

poverty rider

Thanks to all for their hints and tips etc. I finally purchased a Dr Air repair kit off fleabay for a reasonably good price and even quicker delivery (ordered yesterday and arrived 7.45 this morning).

Now I have to decide what is next on my list.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Brian, looking at your OP, I'd say still get a few of those original items you mentioned to throw in, complete spare valves, valve cores, couple of caps, some of these may be in a tyre repair kit, but I picked up a nice bundle from the local tyre place anyway.
Keep in mind there're different cores and valves, so I got a mix together, and can help out others on the tracks if ever needed then.

Next ?
Hmm, where do you start !! lol :)

poverty rider

Brian, looking at your OP, I'd say still get a few of those original items you mentioned to throw in, complete spare valves, valve cores, couple of caps, some of these may be in a tyre repair kit, but I picked up a nice bundle from the local tyre place anyway.
Keep in mind there're different cores and valves, so I got a mix together, and can help out others on the tracks if ever needed then.

Next ?
Hmm, where do you start !! lol :)

The kit I bought has pretty much everything mentioned - including a pair of gloves. See the link below.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191585587104?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Wang

Agree with the guys on the tools, iv had the ARB kit for about 5 yrs now and can't fault it but I did get it for free. I also came to aquire a cheapo SCA kit that on first use had the handle on the plug driver tool snap ( wasn't even applying much pressure ) would hate to have that happen in the middle of BFNW.

Better off paying the bit extra and getting a decent quality set.
Have to agree with you on this. I have had a SCA kit rolling around in my kit for a while and used it for the 1st time on the weekend when @Gavo got a puncture. The kit did the job but the handle came off when pulling it out. It didnt break but just pulled off. To SCA credit there was an allen key in the kit to tighten it back on.
Also recommend some valve stems in case your a bit of a dubbo like myself and forget to screw them in before removing your tyre deflator. Would like to say ive only done it once but i cant.:confused: