which make and model? Help

Brownie

Hi all, I need some advise as I will be moving over to Victoria at the end of the year from England. One of the reasons for moving over is to go out and play in my 4wd as much as I can. I have always been a Rangie guy as there is so many of them here and you can pick them up for a good price. When I am over I will need to purchase a new vehicle. So I am now looking to go down the line of picking up either a Toyota HILUX or a HZJ105R Cruiser . The other choice I have been thinking about is a Nissan Patrol GQ or a GU. I have a budget of around $15k to $20k
We are a family of three with the boy being three years old and planning to go out camping in the bush most weekends. (well that’s the plan).
The vehicle we will get will be used every day to get to work and then a toy at the weekends for camping. I hope to fit the normal modifications like snorkel, suspension lift, winch and lockers (dream on Brownie). We do have the Hilux's over here but the others are slightly different and not many of them at all so I am not clued up with there performance etc.

For you guys who have dealt or have one of theses vehicles which one would you purchase and why?

Thanks for your time

Pure Yobbo

Hi Brownie,

All good choices in rigs. I supose the choice is really what you intend to do with the rig - both the Cruiser and the Patrol are comparable rigs. The Hilux is a ute and a bit smaller. So it is really up to you. If you want to do some good research on the patrol look up Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

For that sort of money you should find a good early GU Patrol (yep I am a Patrol man) Do some research on the early GU as some of the 3litre Diesels did have some issues. The 4.2 Diesel are almost unbreakable and then there is the petrol configuration.

The Crusiers are also great trucks try and find a turbo one if you can - gives them that little bit more go.

Hope this helps and I am sure the others on the forum will be able to help you also.

Cheers

Fox Shooter

Brownie I'm the same as Yobbo a Patrol man. But asside from that the cruiser and patrol make for good off road vehicle's.
My ride is a GU series IV 4.2TD intercooled and the reasons I went for this is, for pure relaibility and engine / drive line strength also ease of maintenance. Both the cruiser and patrol are easily modified and it just depends on how deep your pockets are and what you want to get out of the vehicle.

Knackers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Brownie. Good luck with your plans. I have had both a hilux and cruiser and have made a few comments for your interest.

I had a '98 twin cab hilux 3.0l diesel rear diff locks. Was my daily commuter to work. Was only two of us so room was not really an issue. Was pretty happy with it. Probably the main downside was that it but it sluggish.

Then got a '93 4.2 turbo diesel cruiser with front & rear lockers. More go, more room. I now use motorbike to commute to work and generally only use cruiser for trips, so fuel economy isn't really an issue. I'm more than happy with the cruiser.

If I had to pick another vehicle and choice was the hilux and the cruiser, my preference is cruiser. I reckon $20k would get you someting with a few goodies already on it.

I have never driven Nissans so am unable to offer any comments on that comparison.

Cheers
Knackers

Fox Shooter

Happy New Year Knackers.
Brownie a few years back I had owned a 100 series GXL cruiser, very nice to drive and realiable toyota in my opinion ( others may differ ) there drive line isn't quite up to a nissan gu patrol in strength. But the build quality is great, good engine's and probably a bit smoother / nicer to drive and has a bit more interior room.
But I feel ( again my thought's ) the nissan gu patrol with it's 4.2TD engine was better for me due to it's known history of realiability.
Cheers
Rossco

Last edited:

mickyd213

Hi Brownie,

Welcome to the forum... I've had both Nissan and Toyotas and would choose either. Both are as good as each other (nissans do have the stronger driveline though). The GU's have a very good LSD in the rear (think it's the same for the GQ's) The only problem with the 4.2 GU's that i can see would be their asking price... a little bit more than your budget... GQ's are just as reliable but some are getting up in the high kilometer range but you can still get good bargains.
Same as for Toyotas but they seem to hold their prices well and might be slightly more expensive than a GU of the same vintage.
You could check out Used Cars - New Cars - Search New & Used Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au to get an indication of prices etc or see what is on offer in the melbourne trading post or Ebay...

All the best and hope to see you out on the tracks soon...

Cheers,
Mick

Brownie

Hi Brownie,

All good choices in rigs. I supose the choice is really what you intend to do with the rig - both the Cruiser and the Patrol are comparable rigs. The Hilux is a ute and a bit smaller. So it is really up to you. If you want to do some good research on the patrol look up Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum

For that sort of money you should find a good early GU Patrol (yep I am a Patrol man) Do some research on the early GU as some of the 3litre Diesels did have some issues. The 4.2 Diesel are almost unbreakable and then there is the petrol configuration.

The Crusiers are also great trucks try and find a turbo one if you can - gives them that little bit more go.

Hope this helps and I am sure the others on the forum will be able to help you also.

Cheers

Thanks for the link Pure Yobbo. good info on the patrol site:)

Brownie

Thanks guys for the info and links. Does anyone know of any Toyota web sites or toyota club sites as i can not find any.
cheers.

rexy

Plenty of Rangies and Discovery II's at good prices on the market also. Should be able to pick up an early 2000s TD5 Disco for around 15k.

Nickj

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Brownie

Let us know when you are over here and settled (with 4wd) and we'll show you around.

Where abouts in Victoria are you moving to?

Nick

phs

hey brownie mate you should also have a look at other cruiser models like the 70 series you might spend a bit more but there well worth every penny, i just wish i could aford a new one, (one day one day)

phs

you'd look good in one of these

http://www.caradvice.com.au/8233/2007-landcruiser-70-series-gxl-wagon-review/

there was a few reviews in magazines i read compareing this in a tray back to the same year patrol in a tray back and as far as 4x4ing and road driveing went the cruiser was the favoured car, the only downfall they had was the partol had better seats and air con + air bags, for the same price. but when you driveing in a v8 turbo diesel who needs all that stuff.

the only other problem is there sold out every where and there's none in any show rooms in all of vic. + the waiting list is 6 months to get one.

Last edited:

havok011101

Haven't seen the 76 wagon yet, looks freaking awesome!

I'm a big fan on the in laws trayback 70 series, it's a beast, even without a turbo!

Brownie

Brownie

Let us know when you are over here and settled (with 4wd) and we'll show you around.

Where abouts in Victoria are you moving to?

Nick

Thanks Nick

Going to start off in Lilydale until finding a job etc.

Brownie

Brownie

:)
you'd look good in one of these

http://www.caradvice.com.au/8233/2007-landcruiser-70-series-gxl-wagon-review/

there was a few reviews in magazines i read compareing this in a tray back to the same year patrol in a tray back and as far as 4x4ing and road driveing went the cruiser was the favoured car, the only downfall they had was the partol had better seats and air con + air bags, for the same price. but when you driveing in a v8 turbo diesel who needs all that stuff.

the only other problem is there sold out every where and there's none in any show rooms in all of vic. + the waiting list is 6 months to get one.

Very nice Phs,
I wish i had that sort of money

phs

yeah i know me too......

but that site might still be help full as it has reveiws for a few 4x4's go to the undex and have a look