which 4x4 wagon or ute

looking at getting a new or near new 4x4 asap. never considered it before but suddenly the idea of a ute is getting more appealing.
the requirements for the new 4x4 are the following;
*fit 2 large dogs for day to day use aswell on extended periods + luggage.
*fit drums and musical equipement
*be easy to drive for daily use especially for reverse parking and city driving.
*off road use consisting of lots of beach work and light to medium weekend play around the sth east qld area pretty much every weekend.. no rock crawling
It will be a daily driver and not needed for huge payloads like tradies would need at all. The other thing is i am pretty keen on getting a manual after 13 years straight of autos... so a nice easy manual gearbox would be great too. Will definetely be diesel... I was pretty keen on a jeep wrangler unlimited or a late model prado ( very different i know) but suddenly a dual cab ute like the D Max or Triton looks more apealing with our dogs getting bigger by the day
would appreciate it too if mentioning your own vehicle you could say the cons aswell... i know everyone says their 4x4 is the best thing since sliced bread but would like come criticisim too:cool:

Thanks for all your help

nj94

Hey Angry, your dogs have luggage? Well I suppose if they're as big as you describe who's going to argue with them? :D
I thought about a ute for all the reasons you said but still went for a Pajero wagon. I guess the best compromise would be a twin cab ute. I like the tritons but the others are very good as well. The thing about a ute is that you're separated from whatever you're carrying. If that happens to be your dogs particularly if travel upsets their tummies a bit ... then that's a good thing. But if you need access to your gear whilst driving you're a bit stumped. It's a personal decision. If you went for the twin cab how much room would you have to carry stuff? What about the Mitsubishi Delica or somethign like that? Good luck
Peter

Lex

Dual cab's are realy good if you dont need loads of carrying capability, you are still capable carying 5 people. one problem is if you are carying 5 peopl you cant just reach over the back to get thing out of the back. that said if you dont have a full cab you can put a fridge in the back seat. down side is the suspention off road positive is there light cheap to run and very good on the beach. I have a 98 hilux and 3 young kids and its dose the job well, would love a couple more seats though.

with utes would be between a new dmax or a late model hilux... otherwise a wrangler unlimited...possibly a late model prado..
wrangler is the one my heart wants but the brain is saying maybe a dual cab with a canopy would suit the dogs more so

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
with utes would be between a new dmax or a late model hilux... otherwise a wrangler unlimited...possibly a late model prado..
wrangler is the one my heart wants but the brain is saying maybe a dual cab with a canopy would suit the dogs more so

dual cab with a canopy would suit the dogs more so, would agree on that

knot_gillty

We're in a similar frame of mind too. Been looking at and test driving the Dmax, awesome dual cab! We are also looking at getting an 05-07 Prado. Can't find one with the right amount of kays at the right price....

Personally, if i had the dogs and drums i would go the Dmax. Can't beat that fuel economy.:D

was after a 05-07 Prado too but way over priced for the kms.. so a brand new unlimited wrangler or dmax it will be.
one cool thing when we tested the H3 Hummer they encouraged us to bring the dogs. was great seeing them in the car tho wasnt as roomy as we wanted. dmax seems like a great deal... has anyone got a good deal with them? heard they are set prices and they dont really budge.

knot_gillty

was after a 05-07 Prado too but way over priced for the kms.. so a brand new unlimited wrangler or dmax it will be.
one cool thing when we tested the H3 Hummer they encouraged us to bring the dogs. was great seeing them in the car tho wasnt as roomy as we wanted. dmax seems like a great deal... has anyone got a good deal with them? heard they are set prices and they dont really budge.

Depends how persuasive you are re the budging on price. We were getting a good trade in price and they dropped the price of the Dmax down to where we wanted to pay but circumstances at the time dictated we couldn't do it then.

Bainsy

i just bought myself a 92 mazda bravo 4x4 dual cab, got dual fuel, lift, even aircon! its replacing my ford falcon as my work ute

BUSHNUT

I would seriously look at the D max, the predecessor the rodeo is a very good unit - Stevo in our group has one, it has done the Simpson and the Anne Beadel and Googs track . It was very economical and did it all with ease .

oznog05

I have a duel cab Diesel Hilux (Go the lux's hey LowLux!) But just finished reading a great story on the the new D Max in 4x4 Australia. Pretty much a Colorado re badged. If you buy new and put all the tricky bits on it, it still cheaper than a new Hilux with out the tricky bits.

the hardest thing is convincing the mrs about a ute. she hates them, thinks they are just for tradies. she see's the unlimited wrangler as more a fun 4x4 than a ute. which is true.. ute is more practical for the dogs and luggage, wrangler is more fun and capable off road.
tough choice...either way i want something new NOW lol:cool:

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
the hardest thing is convincing the mrs about a ute. she hates them, thinks they are just for tradies. she see's the unlimited wrangler as more a fun 4x4 than a ute. which is true.. ute is more practical for the dogs and luggage, wrangler is more fun and capable off road.

Purchase two 4by's, a his and hers ;)

oznog05

Ohhh...so your looking for a Toorak tractor......he he

rodw

In relation to the ute, you might like to re-consider the manual tranny. A lot of them have problems with clutches. Particularly with the Hilux, the auto is considered the more reliable option. Just do some research.

You will struggle to claim a clutch on warranty with the Dmax, but it will be easier on a Hilux. Just different warranty philosophy.

Lex

A duel cab isnt realy a trady ute, it is majorly lacking in space for that, its a good cross over as you can fill the back full of any rubish you want and still carry 5 people.i.e it can replace a trailer, you can carry dogs ( even wet muddy ones), drums, shopping or all the camping gear.all while still seating 5 people. if you want a over priced "toy" than go the wrangler. :p

i wouldnt consider a car that comes standard with front/rear lockers, swaybar d/c, dana 44 axles and super slow crawl a toy...would cost a fortune to add all that to another car. its funny the people with the most against Jeeps have never owned one or have much to do with them.