When you recovered somone that probably didn't deserve your help.

cam04

One of the few people I know who have been to Groote.
First went there for a Melbourne cup tie up on the trawlers in 1989, then various times for lighthouses. The croc incident was when we were building the new connexion island lighthouse just over from Groote.

sparksy

Many years ago a group of us were heading north of lancelin WA heading up to Wedge. Now this was middle of winter on a normal weekend when just as we entered the beach there was a new Suburban bogged . we pulled up to offer help but was quickly told we werent needed and he had it under control. We headed off and came back about 2 hours later to see the car still there. The guy didnt get a chance to say anything, his wife told him to go away and politely asked if we could help. I can still see the look on the guys face when my mate did a walk around the car, dropped the pressure down a bit on tyres then jumped it and drove it out back onto the hard stuff. Guy hadnt even engaged 4WD.

Last edited:

sparksy

First went there for a Melbourne cup tie up on the trawlers in 1989, then various times for lighthouses. The croc incident was when we were building the new connexion island lighthouse just over from Groote.
Did you work for AMSA.

ULost2

Like idiots who drive into a salty billabong
Where the fork were they going? Certainly not what were they thinking
Certainly not the only the idiot around these parts; yet they will be the first to scream when the roads and tracks a closed --- I might start another thread on that subject
Psyche 0806 015 w.jpg

cam04

I used to work out of Fremantle back in the mid 80's, in the days of the Cape Don.
Oh wow. I was on the Grafton just after the Moreton was retired. I saw the Don running cattle out of Darwin harbour, mid 90’s. Such a shame. I did nsw, Qld, Torres and NT. It was a pretty cool job. Saw lots of places normal people just never get to.

sparksy

Oh wow. I was on the Grafton just after the Moreton was retired. I saw the Don running cattle out of Darwin harbour, mid 90’s. Such a shame. I did nsw, Qld, Torres and NT. It was a pretty cool job. Saw lots of places normal people just never get to.
Same here, I worked from Esperance to Wyndam but usually finished in Darwin. Was a great job but after I got married and away for first 4 weeks after wedding I didnt see it working. Not many jobs where you get to go to places others dream about not to mention great fishing, 4WDing and helicopter trips. I heard the Don was used for cattle, many great memories of trips away on it. Sort of like getting paid to go away with mates.

smitty_r51

Like idiots who drive into a salty billabong
Where the fork were they going? Certainly not what were they thinking
Certainly not the only the idiot around these parts; yet they will be the first to scream when the roads and tracks a closed --- I might start another thread on that subject
View attachment 71404
boat launch??? maybe

not excusing it, but might explain why they drove into a mud flat with no logical exit

cam04

Same here, I worked from Esperance to Wyndam but usually finished in Darwin. Was a great job but after I got married and away for first 4 weeks after wedding I didnt see it working. Not many jobs where you get to go to places others dream about not to mention great fishing, 4WDing and helicopter trips. I heard the Don was used for cattle, many great memories of trips away on it. Sort of like getting paid to go away with mates.
Same. Married in 2000. 180 odd field days a year didn’t compute anymore. We knew all the burger shops where you could park a chopper nearby haha not that we were in civilisation very often.

sparksy

Same. Married in 2000. 180 odd field days a year didn’t compute anymore. We knew all the burger shops where you could park a chopper nearby haha not that we were in civilisation very often.
Back then you got away with anything, Remember doing a light just north of Perth, Finished the job, we looked inside the hotbox from ship as to whats for lunch. Didnt look appealing so all jumped back onto the LARC, motored over to the town, up boat ramp and drove to pub for lunch.

ULost2

boat launch??? maybe

not excusing it, but might explain why they drove into a mud flat with no logical exit
Nope; basically a big salty mud hole where the mud really stinks . Totally reason what so ever to drive there or into any of the salty lakes around here. Once in the suctions takes over vehicles can be near impossible to get out .