• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

Wheel size and offset

Luke_k1983

Hi,

I know this has been discussed already, but there are different answers to it so Im really confused.

Do 33x12.5 fit on NH Paj with 2" suspension lift? I've found that they fit even the factory 35mm lift on later models as well as it needs 2" suspension + 2" body.

Another question is regarding wheel offset for those tyres. I know 15x8 0 should do for clearing from the inside, but I have a chance to grab 15x8 25N rims from GU. Again, some say, it wont be legal, some say that it puts too much stress on the bearings, some say its all good.

It gets very confusing

Thanks

L.

Hi,

I know this has been discussed already, but there are different answers to it so Im really confused.

Do 33x12.5 fit on NH Paj with 2" suspension lift? I've found that they fit even the factory 35mm lift on later models as well as it needs 2" suspension + 2" body.

Another question is regarding wheel offset for those tyres. I know 15x8 0 should do for clearing from the inside, but I have a chance to grab 15x8 25N rims from GU. Again, some say, it wont be legal, some say that it puts too much stress on the bearings, some say its all good.

It gets very confusing

Thanks

L.
I've got 31's on my NJ and I'm going up to 33's for the next set. They should go straight on and in. I've measured all my distances and 33's will fit without a problem but I've got a wee bit of a lift on mine anyway. When I bought my vehicle, I had the wheels replaced with standard 15x7 Sunraysia rims and A/T's.

My mistake at the time was not going for 16's but I figure I can compensate with 33's. Don't forget that the bigger tyres will put your speedo out of whack by a couple of kilometres and can put extra stress on your steering system etc and your fuel consumption might increase a bit.

Luke_k1983

I know about speedo, which is fine, and fuel economy doesnt worry me cos I don't drive more than 100kms/week unless we go for a trip, which does have high consumption anyway.

I dont go for 16" as they are more expensive as 15" tyres, which I cannot justify. But interesting to read that some ppl need to have both lifts and some fit it with just a mild one...

thanks anyway

33's add 10kph on to the speedo on the hilux, i just use the gps for speed.
Yeah but the bloody GPS units get stolen by a low life and sold to a cabbie for $30.00. I've also seen 32" tyres on ebay which I thought weren't made any more but could be another option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Qute

What is the standard offset on a Paj? Due to it being IFS (I think), it'd probably be around 7mm positive.

To remain legal, you can only go to around 5 mm negative offset (which will give you a 25mm increase in track width).

Negative offset wheels feed the wheel forces more into the bearings whereas positive offset wheels feed those forces into the studs.

Also, for every 25mm you increase your Track measurement, you increase the load on your bearings by a factor of 4. So 25mm over-track = 4 times the load on your bearings but 50mm over-track = 16 times the load! Go more than 1" or 25mm over track if you wish but understand you will not be legal AND you greatly increase the chances of your wheel bearings stuffing up quickly...

pommmy

Yeah but the bloody GPS units get stolen by a low life and sold to a cabbie for $30.00. I've also seen 32" tyres on ebay which I thought weren't made any more but could be another option.
yeah still lots of different 32" tyres out there, i think maxxis make a bighorn in 32x10.5