Change background image

What's with "swags" these days

Discussion in 'Tents' started by littleGem, Feb 23, 2015.

1. littleGem

littleGem Active Member

So after seeing some of these tents getting called swags of late, I can't help but ask why?
    There's no reason why people can't just buy tents for similiar coin and have more room and tents are getting easier to put up.... just don't see how calling them swags is in anyway needed...the only thing I can think of is so people can say "oh I sleep in a swag"

2. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

You may have some value points there mate but I've never pulled any chick's by saying when I 4wd I use a Swag...:p

3. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

It's called evolution mate.

I've got an old style traditional swag, a double "small tent" swag and a fast setup oztent.

They all have there place in my world, depending on trip, location, weather and my mood before I leave.

I'm not sure why you are so bothered about it. Traditional swags are still available if that's what you want.

14FNX and Toddyh like this.
  4. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Its just development. People prefer the modern swags; they are more comfortable, have more room and perform better overall.

Aaron

5. chris_stoffa

chris_stoffa 4x4 Earth Contributer

Its either a very small tent or a very large swag , or large one man tents or tomatoe / tamatoe, potatoe / potarta

6. littleGem

littleGem Active Member

I also have a traditional style swag, It's not that it bothers me more a curiosity thing.
    However saying that I just don't see the point of having a big monstrosity of canvas where a tent will offer more room and sometimes even pack up to less (yes I understand that it is a personal preference and there is obviously a market for it) but at what stage does a swag stop being a swag.

7. Gavo

Okay, so here goes nothing hey.

Being able to roll all your bedding and sleeping gear into one large canvas bag, that also doubles for a handy little room to sleep in is quite convenient.
    Roll, roll, roll, open fourby throw in!! Pretty simple.

Setting up a tent, then mattress, then bedding etc isn't as convenient.

So depending on my trips, I prefer my big canvas bag, other times a tent.

So a swag is a swag, you roll your bedding up in it.

Tent is a tent, in a traditional means.

8. 80lover96gxl

80lover96gxl Moderator

I think alot of it all comes down to convenience, even with a larger small tent swag you have that but extra room and can roll the whole lot up in one go, throw on the roof or in the back of your truck and your done, unlike a tent where you pack up tent, bedding and pillow separately.

9. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with Gav. Tent = longer setup with more gear to carry and more room, swag = shorter setup, less gear to carry and less room.

The below may not be a "swag", but I am highly considering getting one.

Ryebuck | BlackWolf

10. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

Jeez yeah, a bit of cheek calling that one a swag all right.
    Definitely a canvas tent.
    Would like to know the packed size as per pic, looks like it would half fill the back of most wagons :D

Me, love my 'in your face' traditional flat swags, both single and very wide double.
    The single pole is enough to keep it away and can move fine in it rolling over etc.

I can leave everything in either of them and roll / strap up, extra topper mattress, sleeping bag/s, and even foam for pillows.

11. chris_stoffa

That's not a swag..........................

Now this is a Swag !

Southern Cross Double Dome swag

Double Dome Swag

Dimensions:
    Length: 2.13m (7’) Height: 70cm
    Weight: 10kg Width: 128cm

[​IMG]

Pubski likes this.
  12. Gavo

That's a popular style of swag. Quite a few brands making that shape.

This is my Boab branded one.
    uploadfromtaptalk1424686104339.jpg

Toddyh likes this.
  13. chris_stoffa

I've had tents smaller:eek: :D

14. Toddyh

Toddyh Well-Known Member

I also have both styles. Canvas on the face is fine with me so is the more fancy one that keeps the Mrs happy. A big fancy swag is still heaps easier to pack and unpack than a tent with separate bedding. Also means all bedding can go on the roof inside swag when the need arises.

Gavo likes this.
  15. loose cannon

loose cannon Well-Known Member

Evolution.

I bought a new computer today, it handles emails, has gps and compass, I can talk to it and it takes great photos.

It's an Iphone6...some people may call it a telephone:D

Swags are so yesterday:D

RODEODAVE and frosty like this.
  16. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Well-Known Member

To me the benefit of the swag is the fact that everything is rolled up in it, ready to go.

I took mine back to the UK for 12months, and used it whilst I was guiding at an outdoor ed centre where I camped once a week based out of a canoe.

I lent my small tent to the other guide, and on the first trip she wondered why I had 2 big dry bags in my canoe... first night camp, I pull out my swag and set it up in no time at all, as all my bedding was inside it already. Compared that to the little tent that was about the same size overall, it was ready in about 1/2 the time... took up 3x the space (If I used my little tent I could pack all my kit in a 35 litre pack, as opposed to a 120l dry bag!)

However, my only request now is that I find a swag with a bit more foot room, so that my size 12's don't hit the top of my swag! At the moment a 100mm mat and then size 12's doesn't work well in my swag... any one any ideas on one with over 450mm of height in a 3 hoop style (so not the Boab/Southern Cross type above)? At the moment the Darche AWOL 900 is leading the way...

17. Les PK Ranger

I love watching people packing these up at camp, usually a few burly fellas, looks like a rugby scrum packing down !! :D
    Was his first go packing, maybe it gets easier ?

Bomber2012 likes this.
  18. Les PK Ranger

Haha Mick try talking dirty to it !
    Some funny replies.

19. loose cannon

loose cannon Well-Known Member

Now now, you're putting ideas into my head. :eek:

But it might be fun:D

20. Les PK Ranger

Lol, first time I was a bit frustrated with the new phone (also have the iPhone 6) and told Siri to *#^% off, not knowing she would have an answer for that.
    Well, I had it reply 'don't you want to be friends anymore ?' lol.
    Tried a few other phrases then too, I think Siri is a bit old world :D