Whats the ruling?

lr98

Hey guys. Yesterday I was out having a play and came across a track that divides two paddocks. Its about 3kms long, provides access to the various properties along the way and joins two major roads. Its a fairly haggard track and has two 'lanes', one for the so called chicken tracks (which aren't so chicken) and one that is full of deep rutted out bog holes for the boys with their 35's. Mainly clay, it would prove a fair nightmare in the wet. It goes through 2 gullies, both with fantastic looking hill climbs and different lines you can take. I might head out there tomorrow and get some photos.

Upon seeing these hillclimbs and big ruts, I thought to myself this would be the perfect place for my mate to come out and try his new cruiser with 4" lift, dual air lockers, 35" centipedes etc as he loves trying to climb things near vertical. When I rang him and described the spot he said "Oh shit no, I havent checked that out yet. I was keen to have a look, but a few blokes I know were caught by the blue boys and got some decent fines".

But what i want to know is this. All of my map books, CFA charts, and maps I could find on the internet have it marked as an 'unsealed road'. So do the police have in their power to actually deal out fines without any road closure signs at either end of the track? I mean, I will be giving it a miss anyway but I just wanted to know if anyone on here has any clue as to where we stand. I guess it could have been some farmers kicking up a fuss which is fair enough, although it just a perfectly tame 2wd gravel road where their gates are, the hairy stuff doesn't begin till at least 1.5km down the track.
Many thanks, Panda.

Some guys were caught up near Mt Dissa and ended up with heafty fines even tho the way they went in didnt have signs .... it states that the main entrences you are supose to use are marked so leagally they can fine you as you arent spose to go in other ways

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
G'day lr98,

Does this track have a name. Might compare it to the published seasonally closed tracks list. A lot, if not most of these, do not have signs at every entrance, or at least the start and end of the tracks.

lr98

I dont think it has a name, but its around the Cobblers Creek area outside of Bairnsdale. Ill check it out on google maps, might even go for a drive out there this afternoon (at the relies place atm)

Davidman

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Nope, cant help with this one, found the location okay, runs between Princes Hwy and Humphreys Road crossing Coblers Creek Rd. It is in the street directories, on Google Street and Earth, not in any seasonal or other track closures I can find through FWDV, DSE or Parks lists. Got me bugg**ed as to why anyone would get fined for using it.

Might ask the blokes you know what the fines were for ??

lr98

Thanks Davidman I did the same, no luck! Yeah I'll make a few calls and let you know. Seems very strange, but I guess sometimes they feel like dishing out fines for the inconvenience of getting called out to a muddy track and dirtying their shoes by a pissed off Mr. Farmer.

Blue Dog

What were they booked for ?? this could explane alot.
I have seen a heap of 4WD and bikes get done for speeding, neg driving, unroadworthy { defects } in the mountains our way most forget the forests and bush still have road rules they don't stop when you leave the tar unless you are on private property most forest and bush are 20 to 40kph speed limits { well around the blue mountains }.

lr98

Yep you're right I've seen it too. People seem to disregard rules because there's no signs. Idiocy generally rules in the bush. Rarely people regard speed limits, signage etc. Often people end up driving on the right hand side of the road. I imagine that the fines these guys got would fall into the 'negligent driving' category though.

oznog05

I have riding in the bush for years, now I'm a 4wheeler. I have been pull up by the cops once and it was for speeding (On the bike) I got out of it due to the fact the police couldn't accurately put the speed down on the ticket. I think I was about 20 over.

I couldn't tell you how many time I have come around a corner to find bike's and 4bys on the wrong side of the track. Collecting one as a hood ornament. Lucky the rider wasn't hurt.

All need to be a bit mindful of other's out there.

Grumpy

If you stop to ponder what they may have been booked for u could be guessing for ages as there are so many things that they could have been done for, it would be interesting to know more.

Adventure guy

Yeah, I think there should be speed traps in the bush, and redlight cameras disguised as koalas,and a camping tax as well, and carbon taxes on camp fires.
Lets get serious about government revenue.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Most marked and open roads are marked. If the road is that rough it could be a future road but someone has just make a track at present. Had that here, the road was marked as a completed road but only 4x4's, bikes and walkers could get throw to the other part of the road.