whats the best product for boiling water in firebans

barnsey062

Wonder where I stand with my Petrol sotve anti personnel ?

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/fire-safety/fire-bans

During a total fire ban (minimum 24-hour period):
  • All campfire and solid fuel (wood, heat beads, charcoal, briquettes, hexamite) and liquid fuel (petroleum, oil, methylated spirits, kerosene) barbecues and stoves are prohibited.
  • Gas/electric barbecues installed by NPWS are permitted.
  • Visitor-owned gas and electric barbecues and cookers are generally prohibited. There may be exceptions if you contact the local park office in advance for written permission. Gas and electric cookers are permitted within a caravan or 3-sided enclosed annexe of a caravan.

barnsey062

The little butane or LP burner stoves work pretty well for boiling water but it depends on what you are using on it. I find a billy to be pretty slow but a small kettle with spout work quite well as they are closed and they have a rim around the bottom to capture the heat better. I also fill it using the cup I am using for my coffee so I am not trying to boil too much water.
The kettles are cheap too

This is the style I have https://www.anacondastores.com/camp...nsils/campfire-4l-whistling-kettle/BP90033115
I found the billy was slow but my small saucepan and lid works really good, trick is to only put enough for one or two cups at a time in,

shaun0

MSR Reactor I have is awesome for quick boils on the tailgate. Jetboil is similar

Just edit this to add the reactor has no naked flames its all enclosed when the pot sits on top of it so its pretty ideal and also its wind proof so winds cant blow any sparks.

Last edited:

SmAsh_6861

I'm facing a similar issue with my new camper trailer. It hasn't got any hot water system and I'll need it for washing up, cooking etc.

I considered getting one of the Dometic 12v kettles as they hold 750ml and having a permanent mount. However I've since found out that they slaughter your battery and take nearly 20 mins to boil!

I can't justify over $100 for a jetboil considering how often it'd be used so looks like it'll be a Billy on the stove. It's a shame in this day and age there's not a wider variety of options.

Bru9

If you want the best get the MSR Reactor 1.7L, thing is a freaking nuclear furnace, not even a 2000watt induction hob with stainless(aluminium base) saucpan can even compete. Yes its bloody expensive but it craps over the jet boil stuff in any kind of strong winds. In cold windy conds it's only marginally slower to boil up, epic stuff.

Dunno about total fire bans????? Need a lawyer to interpret that legal junk.

But for fire bans yes a 1500-1800watt induction single hob is the way to go, my 1500watt uses 1400watts in the eyes of the inverter feed by 280ah lithium portable system. By dam the thing is noisy with its twin fans, store the cooker in laptop bag, too bloody easy! 1L in my 18cm ss saucpan with no lid takes about 6-7mins to boil up at 23C, the reactor is around 3mins LOL.

But the reactor is much quicker and easier and packs down so small, just carry a dozen 230g iso/butane canisters and you will have a lifetime cache.
:cool:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I find Trangia type kettles work the quickest.I have that red kettle above but find it takes too long.

https://www.snowys.com.au/27-series...MI-OaGvK2K5gIVDhOPCh3KdAH2EAQYASABEgImSfD_BwE

Metho based so most likely banned on total fire ban days ? (EDIT, I see, just the kettle, they are good !!)
I've used 3 models on mets for years, before going gas or shellite.

Tell you what though, you get a gas adapter for a trangia, and look out, fast as with the great windbreak design and excellent updraft around the pot / kettle.

Gas is usually ok on fire ban days, but not always . . . different rules for various levels of fire bans.
Sometime any naked flame is off limits.

Swaggie

Metho based so most likely banned on total fire ban days ? (EDIT, I see, just the kettle, they are good !!)
I've used 3 models on mets for years, before going gas or shellite.

Tell you what though, you get a gas adapter for a trangia, and look out, fast as with the great windbreak design and excellent updraft around the pot / kettle.

Gas is usually ok on fire ban days, but not always . . . different rules for various levels of fire bans.
Sometime any naked flame is off limits.

Heah Les

My Trangia kettle ended up getting white marks on the inside base, used a scourer to lightly take off and low and behold it left little pin holes, didn’t notice straight away until i used it with water so threw it out.

I emailed Trangia and suggested they make a whistle for these units, the usual take a hike reply was sent they weren’t interested. lol....

In the process of looking at other kettles,i wanted to try a litre silicone one but can’t find one with a whistleblower
:D

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Heah Les

My Trangia kettle ended up getting white marks on the inside base, used a scourer to lightly take off and low and behold it left little pin holes, didn’t notice straight away until i used it with water so threw it out.

I emailed Trangia and suggested they make a whistle for these units, the usual take a hike reply was sent they weren’t interested. lol....

In the process of looking at other kettles,i wanted to try a litre silicone one but can’t find one with a whistleblower
:D

That'd be typical aluminium corrosion, maybe the kettles aren't up for very hot heat either, alright on metho like the trangias are designed to use, add the aftermarket gas, or use them on other hot stoves, might be too much for them long term.

Whistling kettles are great !
Always walk off doing something else and forget it's on.

Problem is I'm just about totally deaf in those high pitches, and can't hear the damn things !!!
All ok though if with others, they just sing out "your kettles boiling !!" lol

I have an MSR cook set with 2 stainless pots, heavy, but take any heat I can throw at them, stay shiny.

As with all other camping equipment, I have a myriad of cooking / stove / pot options, and take what's best for particular trips, be they bushwalks, or car camping / touring.
Menus have a big influence on what I take too, often we need boiling water only to add to dehydrated meal packs, other times it's camp ovens for roasts etc etc.

Triton14

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/safety/fire-safety/fire-bans
  • Visitor-owned gas and electric barbecues and cookers are generally prohibited. There may be exceptions if you contact the local park office in advance for written permission. Gas and electric cookers are permitted within a caravan or 3-sided enclosed annexe of a caravan.
NSWNPWS would also prefer you dont breath while in the NP so as not to expel to much carbon dioxide as which is bad for the bettongs & potoroos :rolleyes:

Typical NSW bureaucracy BS!