whats on your current shopping list

barnsey062

Are the engine blocks the same? B×S is the same, capacity is same. .
same block outside, few changes inside for cooling, they use the same crank but different rods pistons etc second hand rods are $400 a pop if you can find them & the heads are hard to come by as well, i'm still looking into it, all i know is that everyone selling them are asking stupid money for them, any that i found cheap were already sold by the time i contacted anyone about them, I think the wreckers are buying them all up & making big profits selling them on.
i was originally going to put a n/a 1hz in it but its a lot more work to fit one, exhaust is on the other side, engine mounts need to be fabbed etc & the 4.0 12ht has more torque & power & is basically a straight swap for the 2h with the only main mod of running a return line back to the fuel tank.
The 1HZ Toyota Landcruiser 4.2 litre (4164 cc) diesel inline 6-cylinder 12-valve OHC (overhead camshaft) is of the IDI or indirect injection design, and delivers maximum power of 96 kW (129 hp) at 3800 rpm and maximum torque of 285 N⋅m (210 lbf⋅ft) at 2200 rpm.

crossed one thing off my shopping list over the weekend :) brought a 12ht motor for my cruiser.
hoping it gets delivered some time this week, 250k on motor, they will give me complete engine fan to flywheel. Engine mounts and such. accelerator cable and engine pipe. been looking for a while & kept missing out on the ones that come up for sale so i jumped on this one over the weekend.
pretty expensive for a 2nd hand motor but i have had no luck in the past finding one, I got this one for $5800 plus freight, hoping the conversion goes well & i will then be able to start venturing a lot further from home & finally start planning some decent trips away :)
great buy - One of Toyota’s best ever engine’s and a great price and km! I’m assuming you have an HJ75 - probably their best Ute, so the ultimate combo. I had a mate who had one, was perfect. 3” exhaust? Are you going to rig up the vacuum shut off or install a cable? Up the boost/upgrade the turbo?

great buy - One of Toyota’s best ever engine’s and a great price and km! I’m assuming you have an HJ75 - probably their best Ute, so the ultimate combo. I had a mate who had one, was perfect. 3” exhaust? Are you going to rig up the vacuum shut off or install a cable? Up the boost/upgrade the turbo?
Just going to do seals & gaskets & drop it in for now, having it engineered on 22 May, just needs a stationary noise test & a weighbridge ticket to get certified, then i will look into mods & upgrades, will have to start doing some research so i can get familiar with what everyone is doing first :)
Ohhhh it turned up today so its on my shed floor now :)
12ht arrived 262.jpg

12ht arrived 230.jpg

12ht arrived 211.jpg

Just going to do seals & gaskets & drop it in for now, having it engineered on 22 May, just needs a stationary noise test & a weighbridge ticket to get certified, then i will look into mods & upgrades, will have to start doing some research so i can get familiar with what everyone is doing first :)
Ohhhh it turned up today so its on my shed floor now :)
View attachment 60424
View attachment 60425
View attachment 60426
Very much admire you guys that do it yourself. I haven't got the time or knowledge. Good stuff.

current motor has 560k's on it and is getting very tired, it means i am back in second gear doing 40kph going up hills and have to move over and let the semi trailers & truck pass me going up hills, kind of embarrassing :) & flat out doung 60k's an hour on slight inclines, the 12ht has a lot more torque & should be a better engine, i wanted to stick with a toyota engine & the 12ht will bolt straight up using factory engine mounts, my gearbox will also bolt straight up. & the exhaust is also on the same side of the motor.
few figures
my engine
2H
The 2H is a 4.0 L (3,980 cc) inline 6, 12 valve OHV indirect injection diesel engine. Bore is 91 mm and stroke is 102 mm, with a compression ratio of 20.7:1. Output is 105 PS (77 kW) at 3,500 rpm - later production years 107 hp (80 kW) with 177 lb·ft (240 N·m) of torque at 2,000 rpm.

new engine
12H-T
The 12H-T is a 4.0 L (3,980 cc) inline 6, 12 valve OHV turbocharged direct injection diesel engine. Bore is 91 mm and stroke is 102 mm, with a compression ratio of 18.6:1. Output is 134 hp (100 kW) at 3500 rpm with 232 lb·ft (315 N·m) of torque at 1,800 rpm, on the stock configuration of 7PSI of boost.
Nice read. Good luck.

Very much admire you guys that do it yourself. I haven't got the time or knowledge. Good stuff.
only way i can afford anything is to do it myself lol, but i enjoy the challenges & only wish i had learnt lots more when i was younger, I don't know the first thing about these 12ht's so have been stuck on google & youtube the past week trying to find everything out about them, i only learnt tonight that the 2h & 12ht don't have a timing belt or timing chain but have timing gears :)

only way i can afford anything is to do it myself lol, but i enjoy the challenges & only wish i had learnt lots more when i was younger, I don't know the first thing about these 12ht's so have been stuck on google & youtube the past week trying to find everything out about them, i only learnt tonight that the 2h & 12ht don't have a timing belt or timing chain but have timing gears :)
Probably why they are so strong.

Have you read up on the oil pressure release valves? While it’s out and you’re going over it might as well pull it out and inspect - maybe put a new piston on, possibly one of the longer aftermarket ones. The piston can wear a groove in the cylinder and then can stick shut resulting in very high oil pressure - it’s not unknown for them to blow oil filters off.

Also check out the rocker arms - they can wear a recess where they hit the valve meaning you can’t set the clearances properly. Just polish them back, someone makes “high temp” arms which don’t wear, although that might mean they wear the valves...

Are you changing the oil in the fan hub? They’re great strong engines (but then so are the 1h**** series so wouldn’t put it down to timing gears) but it’s good to know target points.

Barra GU

I have done about all I want to do to mine.
1st 4x4 I hardly did anything to as I was poor.
2nd about all I did was suspension and had plans, but the boss had other ideas and I had to sell it as we were poor.
3rd I upgraded a heap of stuff in the 9 years I had it and finally finished tinkering about 2 months before I inherited Dads very low km ute.
4th was Dads ute, he drove it out of the dealer and put tyres on it after 10 years... tyres, oil and washer fluid was about all that didn't come from the Mazda factory.... oh, and a radio aerial because a cow ate it and he couldn't get angry with John Lawes with no radio. I put in a snorkel, UHF and a water tank.

This one I have done up on the cheap, but after 4 years have everything I want on it. Got the bull bar, side steps, UHF, dual battery setup, side rails (still in the shed though), snorkel, driving lights, light bar, winch, good rubber and the home made camper to slide on and off.
The problem is that driving it to and from work everyday is slowly killing it.

So, on the shopping list is....
https://www.motoring.com.au/new-suzuki-jimny-confirmed-for-australia-113498/

Just have to convince the boss....
Interedted to see more and more of these rigs becoming built as i reckon they will be an awesomely capable off roader

Barra GU

For me at the moment im after the tune i will be looking at getting bigger cooler, new forward facing inlet plenum and a 6 boost manifold in order to get me around the 600rwkw mark