What would be a good first 4WD for less than $6k?

Rackers03

Hi all,

Since I get my P's later on this year, it's coming up to buying my own set of wheels. I've got roughly $6k all up and was wondering what everyones thoughts were. I probably can't have something little. (Sierra or Jimny) considering I'm only 16 and stand at 185cm and weigh in at 113kg (and am still growing!). I'm eyeing a 4.5 80 Series for a bit less than 5k but people say it drinks fuel. Just wanted to hear the thought from the 4WD community to see what would be the best thing to buy. I plan to go touring and do some 4wd tracks (nothing insane like the Telle Track!) so I want to have something that won't do too bad on fuel, has fairly cheap add ons and can get pretty far offroad.

Thanks,
Hugh

03hilux

4x4 Earth Contributer
The 80 is a more than capable, but yes, it is thirsty. 18l/100km is a pretty average fuel consumption.
Parts are a dime a dozen, so finding a decent one within your pricerange won't be too hard.

Another vehicle to consider would be a 90 series prado (98 - 03 ) or a NL Pajero. Both are very capable and easily modified fairly cheaply. The V6 3.4lt in the Prado will give you around 14ltr/100km. Im not sure about the pajero, but maybe @Hendo75 could help here as he ran one for a few years.
Again, like the 80, the Prado and Pajero are popular, so finding a good one won't be a struggle.

Heres a coiple from carsales.