• New Server!

Update: 9:50AM Thursday - the server move has been completed and we're up and running on our new faster infrastructure. Have a look around and let us know if you encounter any issues.

The 4x4 Earth Team

What was your worst car and why!

Grippy

I've had a ton of cars over the years from Mk1 Cortina's to Falcon's to my current Jeep. The worst even after the dodgy V6 Magna I bought the wife once would be the 2.4L TD Surf. The electrics were woeful, the air con would then wouldn't work, had to replace all sort of broken shit on it and for the amount of fuel it drank it was slow as anything

TYNO87

Mq triton closely followed by pk ranger. Ranger had excuses, it was second hand, but they’re known for the issues they have with heads. Mq was a lemon. 2 gearbox’s and 3 gearbox “fixes” in 40,000kms, still popped out of gear all the time. Paint peeling off in strips at 1500kms, repaired, then peeled again. Seats used to rattle non stop unless someone was sitting in them. Pieces of plastic, screws, etc used to fall out from under the dash while you were driving along. All the electrics used to freeze up and you had to turn the car off and on. Throttle would just not work. Like you could push it to the floor and nothing, then a couple of seconds later it would take off. Absolute POS and mitsubishi are a joke.
Funnily enough had an ml triton as well which was an absolute ripper If a ute. Had an Isuzu v6 rodeo the same as the ones mentioned above as well and apart from being thirsty, it was a great ute. Bought it at 170,000 kms and sold it at 320,000kms. Never let me down once.

discomatt

I think every brand of car has now been listed as the worst, what does that tell you...
Pick your model, not your manufacturer

Rusty Panels

My very first car was a 1962 VW beetle I paid $300 for it. It always had a very annoying squeak in the front which used to drive me nuts. Funnily the squeak would go away if it rained. One day I was driving through long grass and hit a stump. It was pretty much an immovable object and nearly snapped my neck. I got out to inspect the damage and found a bit of a dent below the bumper bar and bonnet right where the spare wheel sat. The bodywork was pushed in far enough that I couldn't get the spare out so had to let all the air out of it to do so. It had also bent the panel behind the spare and the result was that the bonnet would no longer close. I drained and removed the fuel tank which was also in the front so I could better access the area to attempt a repair. When I removed the tank I found the cause of my annoying squeak. The floorpan (which is also the chassis on these old things) was cracked all the way around behind the front suspension. There was a section about an inch long that was holding the whole front of the car together. At least I had the steering column and speedo cable to stop it from falling apart altogether.
Ah the good old days!

boobook

My boss had a Triumph TR7. Brand new in around 1980. OH MY GOD, what a total piece of shit that was. Everything went wrong. Out of the first 12 months, I think it was at the dealer workshop for about 5 - 6 months. They just could not fix it. As soon as he got it back from the workshop something else would go wrong or the same fault was there. It had pop up headlights, or should I say headlight, as one or the other would not pop up most of the time. It even overheated in winter.

We took it from Melbourne to Surfers Paradise one time. It just stopped working while driving along the road randomly. Last we saw of it was at West Wyalong where it dropped its guts. I don't think he ever had it to drive for more than a few weeks at a time.

Rusty Panels

My dear departed best mate bought a second hand but immaculate XF Jaguar (beautiful looking car, remind me of the latest Aston Martins) it was a V6 diesel. Just about every time he drove it he ended up coming home in a tow truck.
It was in his driveway and the battery in his remote stopped working. He put another battery in it and the alarm system went crazy. He could not do anything with the key after that. Ended up having to have it towed from home to the dealer 80 kilometres away. They had to reprogram everything before you could even unlock it. He took me for a drive in it and smoke started to come from under the guard. There was a distinct smell of diesel and it was spraying out from somewhere and going onto the exhaust. They never found the leak. It had apparently sealed itself back up again which was a worry.
Sadly he never had a moments joy in his Jag.

Warby

Ahhhhhhh, now this is a thread after my own heart haha... I've had a few pearlers.

My first car was a 1989 Nissan Pintara, which I inherited from my grandfather when he died (he'd had it from new). We just kept paying the rego in my grandfathers name for the year or so that I had it. Speedo was cactus, brakes were laughable, suspension was shot. Overheated frequently (I replaced every single component in the cooling system, made no difference) until it finally warped and cracked the head. Still started and ran (unhappily) until I handed it over to a wrecker.

Immediately after that was a 1990 Ford Fairmont Ghia. This one would be the one that I would crown "My Worst Car." I'm pretty sure that it broke down every single time I drove it, with issues ranging from random electrical gremlins to throttle sticking wide open (that was a scary moment for a P plater). That thing couldn't go more than about 100km between breakdowns and was always giving me some kind of grief.

After the Ford, I had my first 4wd... a 1996 Landrover Discovery SE, with the 3.9L V9. That thing was just fantastic- It broke down a couple of times, but never anything major (to be honest I genuinely can't remember what issues I had, but was never anything that I couldn't fix on the side of the road). It went everywhere I pointed it without so a problem. Never got truly stuck. Never had an issue offroad in spite of some god awful inexperienced driver stupidity. It was also stupidly comfortable, with it's big plush leather seats.. Loved it!

Following the Disco was a cracker of a little pocket rocket, an imported Toyota Corolla II, little turbocharged 1.6L thing. Great fun to punt around in, very quick for what it was. I lost the keys though one night out clubbing, only a few weeks after I bought it. Rather than get new keys cut I decided instead to remove the ignition barrel and used a screwdriver and coathanger for the next 6 months or so that I owned it. In the end i could get that car unlocked and started at least as quickly without a key as anyone else would have been able to with a key haha. This car ended up spitting half of its turbo through the intake and that was the end of that.

From then on.... I have had decent cars, nothing noteworthy for this thread that I've had any real trouble with.. an R32 GTR skyline (beast. ex race car. loved that thing), Honda Accord Euro, Holden VT Berlina, Subaru XV, Ford Territory (absolute piece of crap which would fit in here actually... lots of electrical and body issues, ultimately ended up with a piston through the block), Jeep Grand Cherokee, MQ Mitsubishi Triton..

callmejoe

Not quite a car but a truck, and definitely my worse nightmare.
Brand New 2009 Mercedes Actros 2660 Mega Cab (still a tiny cab in Aussie standard though).

We owned it for only 3 yrs and 550,000km (piss poor amount of km)

Just some of the major components.
2 intercoolers
2 gear boxs (12 speed full auto) would have been 3 but was traded.
1 Radator
1 sump (cracked at the drain bolt)
1 jack shaft (more likely the mechanics fault)
3 hub seals
And the best for last
3 long motors, which 1 of them only managing 2000km yes, 2000 before the man roll barring collapsed. To add more salt to the wound with every motor replacement the fuel consumption would be considerably worse, From 2km per L ending up with 1.4km per L. They kept changing the fuel programs. That .6 adds up quick into your profits.

The break downs put me off the rd for 3mths per yr which I was told buy the Managing Director of Mercedes / Daimler as a " acceptable amount of down time."
Let's just say he never spoke to me again.

After 2 yrs of heartaches, hair pulling, arguments, discussions, and sticking to the facts Daimler Australia did come to agreement were I could at least start again.

RainmanWA

Holden camira need I say more :?
Only had it for 6 months.
View attachment 69361
I had the station wagon version and drove it all around the country back in the early 80's. Across the Nullabor to Sydney and back, right through Hammersley Range National Park, Wittenoom, Millstream, Python Pool in 1985 and in 1986 it took us up to the Kimberley, getting up to the Barnett River on the Gibb River Road before flooding turned us back. From there we took the Leopold Downs road back to the Great Northern Highway and then headed off to Darwin and Kakadu.

On the way back to Perth they were sealing the last section of the Great Northern Highway between Fitzroy Crossing and Halls Creek and the whole plain was flooded after heavy rains. I got my girlfriend (now wife) to walk in front of the car for several kilometres using a shovel as a depth guage. ;)

Eventually it started to become a nightmare, constantly having to replace the mechanical fuel pump which leaked all the time and it got so bad I knew the local towies by their first name. The final straw came when I broke the camshaft coming off the Mitchell Freeway onto Charles Street in North Perth.

While the car ended up being a nightmare, it took us to some amazing places and amongst my off roading mates its legend lives on and is known as the 4WD Camira. :cool:

Heres a pic crossing a river in deepest darkest Kakadu back in 1986.
River crossing 1.jpg

ipch

Toyota Landcruiser HJ47. I bought it brand new in 1982 and I still have it parked up in the shed just to remind me not to have another one. Still has original Starter and Alternator Glow plugs and Injectors and 100,000 on the clock. Could never start the bitch before 10am. in the winter as it would barely turn over. New battery every year and despite routine services it decided to sludge up and not run anymore.

Chatty

We bought a Ford Exploder Explorer second hand in about 2009 - can't remember exactly which model, but nice to drive and really comfortable.
Less than a week after driving it out of the yard I put my foot down when the lights turned green, got about 20 metres before there was a really big bang, clouds of smoke and everything stopped. Managed to coast to the side of the road, got out and looked back to see a really big oil trail, ending in a bigger puddle of oil in the middle of the intersection with various metal bits floating around in it.
Popped the bonnet, and when I saw the 4 inch hole in the block I realised that it wasn't going to be something I could fix on the side of the road.

Turned out it had dropped the timing chain idler (a well known fault with them) and lived up to the Exploder name tag. The dealer put a replacement engine in under warranty and we got rid of it settling a dodgy business debt when my brother sent our business broke. Handed the keys to the dodgy business owner, got home to realise we still had the fuel cap keys - it did put a smile on our faces thinking about that bastard getting to the next servo (we gave it to him with about 20 litres of fuel in the tank) and not being able to get the fuel cap off.

jacnden

I had the station wagon version and drove it all around the country back in the early 80's. Across the Nullabor to Sydney and back, right through Hammersley Range National Park, Wittenoom, Millstream, Python Pool in 1985 and in 1986 it took us up to the Kimberley, getting up to the Barnett River on the Gibb River Road before flooding turned us back. From there we took the Leopold Downs road back to the Great Northern Highway and then headed off to Darwin and Kakadu.

On the way back to Perth they were sealing the last section of the Great Northern Highway between Fitzroy Crossing and Halls Creek and the whole plain was flooded after heavy rains. I got my girlfriend (now wife) to walk in front of the car for several kilometres using a shovel as a depth guage. ;)

Eventually it started to become a nightmare, constantly having to replace the mechanical fuel pump which leaked all the time and it got so bad I knew the local towies by their first name. The final straw came when I broke the camshaft coming off the Mitchell Freeway onto Charles Street in North Perth.

While the car ended up being a nightmare, it took us to some amazing places and amongst my off roading mates its legend lives on and is known as the 4WD Camira. :cool:

Heres a pic crossing a river in deepest darkest Kakadu back in 1986.
View attachment 69405
I had a mid 80s camira and never had an issue apart from I conking out on very hot days . Think the fuel evaporated before it reached the injectors . Once the car cooled down (sometimes 30 min!!!) it would work fine

Also had a mark 1 cortina that the starter would jam on the ring gear and had to get under with a long screwdriver to poke in where the gears meshed