What UHF channel And Channel Information & Actual Uses

Yota

ok, moving on a bit, now we have the 80 ch radioes being used, also the old 40ch units as well, there are some possible problems until all 40 ch are junked. As I see it the two are not compatible ie. Poor comms between them as the transmit and receive frequencys are slightly different . This could cause some safety concerns in the bush with the different radioes.
please correct me on this if I am wrong.
When legally do the 40 ch have to be switched off permanently.?
For some of us the changeover is expensive as we have them in tractors, utes and our 4x4s as well as some hand helds, this will be a big bill!

Cheers
Rob

Rob The channels 1 to 40 will remain the same so I don't think there will be a phasing out of 40 channel rigs except by natural attrition, ie as radio's clap out people will replace them with 80 channel rigs . Channels 41 to 80 have been squeezed in between the existing 40 channels meaning that the 25khz spacing has been reduced to 12.5khz. In urban areas this may very well lead to adjacent channel interference problems but too early to tell yet.

mal_vk2hsv

Is 22 & 23 like a "fax channel"????:rolleyes:

I never did read the desructions. It's just UNAUSTRALIAN!!:D

Telemetry and telecommand

Telemetry is the process of obtaining measurements and relaying them, for recording or display, at a distant point. Telecommand is the electronic remote control of equipment.

Examples include:

monitoring water levels in dams;
controlling equipment such as irrigation pumps; and
opening and closing gates.

The class licence authorises the use of telemetry and telecommand applications on UHF channels 22 and 23.

noelh

Sambartom, I'm sorry but your attitude towards UHF CB is not helpful.

There are organizations like ours that are working very hard behind the scenes to clean up the airwaves

We have assisted the authorities with 14 prosecutions in the last 12 months for breaches to the UHF CB Class License, and when people like you have bad attitudes, and encouraging others to do the wrong thing because you think the laws don't matter and know one obeys them it only makes everyone's job harder

It has been really difficult to get the authorities to take action, and we don't need people making things harder for us

Steven Gray
UHF CB Australia
UHF CB Australia - News - Repeater Locations - History - Sales & More

Hi fellas I used to drive the big rigs up and down the highways from Sydney to Melbourn and Sydney to Brisbane and some times west and the only time I got any civilized conversations on UHF or AM was when I cleared the metro's of any big city and once you got within 50klm of the cities it all went to hell again.
I no longer drive the riggs now as I got sick of it one day in 2010 and turned it off and at about 2am I rounded a bend in the rain didn't hear the call that another truck was pulling out from a parking area collided with the side of him and ended up into a pole and then hospital for 3 months.
So in my appinion the sooner they GET RID OF THE IDIOTS OF THE AIRWAYS THE BETTER.
Regards
Noel H.

Yota

Wide Band/Narrow Band

Here in NZ there has been no date set for when when repeater license holders mut make their equipment transmit and receive in narrow band and no date for phasing out of older 40 channel radio's. In fact a friend recently applied for a new repeater license and that one is for wide band tx. As far as I am aware no repeaters have gone narrow band here yet.

prawns

....In urban areas this may very well lead to adjacent channel interference problems but too early to tell yet.

Yeah it does. The local council workers near me are using channel 9 WFM mode - my little radio (set to NFM) picks them up on channel 9 as well as channel 48/49 (not as clearly though - but enough to lock onto the channel and understand what they are saying)

Im in a rural area - the council workers and a couple of repeaters are all I generally recieve out here lols
channel 9 = 476.625 Mhz
channel 48 = 476.6125 Mhz
channel 49 = 476.6325 Mhz

Seems those channels at least are too close and interfere when using a WFM radio on channel 9

darb

I've got an 80ch, but many mates don't. Our group of mates use I think 15 or 16, with CTCSS coding switched on (means our radios will only listen to each others radios and squelch out others).

The CTCSS is pretty reliable except for one mate, for some reason his GME must be throwing his ctcss code slightly off frequency and mine is ignoring his (all others are OK, just between he and i ... maybe we're just not meant to be!)

Swaggie

I've got an 80ch, but many mates don't. Our group of mates use I think 15 or 16, with CTCSS coding switched on (means our radios will only listen to each others radios and squelch out others).

The CTCSS is pretty reliable except for one mate, for some reason his GME must be throwing his ctcss code slightly off frequency and mine is ignoring his (all others are OK, just between he and i ... maybe we're just not meant to be!)

So why don't you change yours to wideband in the settings from narrow band.

The only downside to CTCSS is you lock out everyone else from contacting you.

darb

So why don't you change yours to wideband in the settings from narrow band.

The only downside to CTCSS is you lock out everyone else from contacting you.

I dont really know what you're talking about? I can still communicate on 0-40.. aswell as 41 - 80?? has been working ok anyway...

Haven't heard or seen of any wideband setting.. sounds interesting!

Yeah that's the entire point, we don't want to talk to others :) We leave radios on and set to loud around camp too (people come and go doing various things, bikes, quads, 4wd's, small boats with handheld etc) ... and know that only our own mob will get through.

Swaggie

I dont really know what you're talking about? I can still communicate on 0-40.. aswell as 41 - 80?? has been working ok anyway...

Haven't heard or seen of any wideband setting.. sounds interesting!

Yeah that's the entire point, we don't want to talk to others :) We leave radios on and set to loud around camp too (people come and go doing various things, bikes, quads, 4wd's, small boats with handheld etc) ... and know that only our own mob will get through.

What model is it. ?..

It's just if anyone is asking for help.

darb

hummm its one of these mate : UH7760NB

does mine do the wide/narrow band thing? what's will it achieve for me? (i can already transmit and recieve properly on all 80 channels???)

Yeah that's true, dont really have a solution to that. I know mine can do dual watch (sometimes when on a long drive i have it do dual watch on channel 5 or 40 ... more out of boredom i like striking up truckie conversations (and usually giving them permission to keep their spotties on if they're approaching from astern)).

I've almost always travelled in a pack though so the general idea for us has been safety in numbers.

Swaggie

hummm its one of these mate : UH7760NB

does mine do the wide/narrow band thing? what's will it achieve for me? (i can already transmit and recieve properly on all 80 channels???)

Yeah that's true, dont really have a solution to that. I know mine can do dual watch (sometimes when on a long drive i have it do dual watch on channel 5 or 40 ... more out of boredom i like striking up truckie conversations (and usually giving them permission to keep their spotties on if they're approaching from astern)).

I've almost always travelled in a pack though so the general idea for us has been safety in numbers.

I'll have to look, if your having issues with other 40 channel users it will put the radio down to there band, that's all, but if your having no issues it will achieve nothing for now, I suppose it's a setting to know you can use if you do have issues in future. (Voice Quality etc).

darb

ah ok, hmm nah it's had no dramas other than the CTCSS with one of the mates (id see him getitng locked out for a few seconds then it'd kick in) ... if we swtich off ctcss it's all fine

He's 40ch GME im an 80ch uniden.

Ziggy

Can the brains trust advise which UHF channel I should use to reach oncoming strangers on the single lane sections of the McKillops Bridge road. It's in the Snowy River Nat Park. 10, 11, 40?

prawns

If theres no local signs specifically mentioning a CB channel than start guessing I suppose, but start with those channels you mentioned.

Keep in mind not every car has a CB radio (that bridge is also 2WD/road bike accessible?) and even if they do have a radio its not necessarily turned on - and with things like CTCSS around - sometimes people forget to turn that stuff off so are effectively deaf to the general world even with their radio turned on

Edit - Maybe add channel 18 to your "check first" list (its the caravan/camper trailer convoy channel)

Last edited:

Ziggy

Thanks prawns.

Yeah, there can be 2WDs and motorbikes on that road. It's just that on some stretches backing up with a camper trailer would be a pain in the ....

neck :)

Ziggy

Just back.

40 UHF is signposted on the Gelantipy Rd. We made a call from the top of the west side drop down to the Snowy and connected with a 4WDer coming up who assured us there wasn't heavy traffic around. All good. It's a pretty exciting section that one - 11 km of single lane cut into the rock in places but with some passing sections.