What UHF channel And Channel Information & Actual Uses

rodw

Most UHF's today scan, even my $50 Uniden handhelds... Just check the GME web site for specs. Two types Open scan every channel and closed scan where you tell it which channels to scan.

OutBacker

Some tracks have their own channels and the convention for channel allocation varies.

Two that I know of are the Simpson Desert uses CH10 while the Canning Stock Route uses CH40.

It is also a good idea not to use the teletrmy channels (aside from it being in violation of ACMA class license) because people with newer radios won't be able to transmit on them to talk back. This is especially important in an emergency situation.

Imagine your convey all have older radios on CH22 talking away. You can communicate with each other fine. Someone who is in distress is scanning and hears your chatter on CH22. They have a new radio that is incapable of TX on CH22. They can only hear you and can't call you for help.

ACMA introduced this change to the Class License a few years ago. That is why you see some CBs as 38CH instead of 40CH. All CBs sold from a certain date must not TX on CH22 and CH23. I am not sure how heavily voice comms on CH22 and CH23 is enforced but in theory it could be.

Brad

Sambartom

No one obeys the uhf laws,You would be very lucky to find someone on a Emergency ch around here anyways.And in Melbourne unless you want to learn some new words turn it off...

UHFCB

Sambartom, I'm sorry but your attitude towards UHF CB is not helpful.

There are organizations like ours that are working very hard behind the scenes to clean up the airwaves

We have assisted the authorities with 14 prosecutions in the last 12 months for breaches to the UHF CB Class License, and when people like you have bad attitudes, and encouraging others to do the wrong thing because you think the laws don't matter and know one obeys them it only makes everyone's job harder

It has been really difficult to get the authorities to take action, and we don't need people making things harder for us

Steven Gray
UHF CB Australia
UHF CB Australia - News - Repeater Locations - History - Sales & More

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer

There are organizations like ours that are working very hard behind the scenes to clean up the airwaves

We have assisted the authorities with 14 prosecutions in the last 12 months for breaches to the UHF CB Class License, and when people like you have bad attitudes, and encouraging others to do the wrong thing because you think the laws don't matter and know one obeys them it only makes everyone's job harder

It has been really difficult to get the authorities to take action, and we don't need people making things harder for us

Steven Gray
UHF CB Australia

Hi Steven

I have attempted to contact the authorities a few times about a group of idiots using the airwaves for their personal chat with all the swearing and other rubbish that they were on. This was on from early morning to late afternoon for weeks, until I turned off my radio. I called to advise the authorities about it and got voice mail which I left messages without a return call. Most people use it correctly but there is a small group that think you are invading their channel.

If there is a good place to send an issue into and get something done but at present there doesn't appear to be one. This my experience and it failed to impress me

stackner

Steven Gray
UHF CB Australia

im sorry but i fail to see how Sambartom is ENCOURAGING people to do the wrong thing? the only thing i picked up from his post is that he sounds just as pissed of as the rest of us hearing the fools that swaer and carryone with crap all the time. I definetly agree with him that in melb your going to leanr a whole lot of new words. if i put it on round home (melbourne) half the time you just hear people swearing, making weird noises, playing music non stop or some other crap. it would be nice to have it all stop but then again i baught my radio to use in the bush when wheeling.

Sambartom

Steven Gray
UHF CB Australia

Don't be sorry mate,Im just telling it the way it is.If you are trying to clean up the UHF then i would start by SHUTTIND DOWN CH 3 reaper,It will help a small bit but with all the UHF handhelds getting around today you will never clean it up to what it was in the old days.I rang the RIs once and it was going to cost me big $$ to get them out "no thanks,cheaper to turn it off". I have been around CBs from the age of 10 and now im 34 so its been a long time,Im not trying to make things harder,I love my CBs talking all over the world and take my hobby very seriously.
Not many UHF users know the laws let alone obey them"so good luck with that".Truck drivers and even 4x4ers,cars get board on the road so they pick up the mic and act a fool to kill time"good luck in stopping them"as they are hard to find when on the move.
Even country UHF users cop it,EG CH 1 in my area get the odd fool trying to cut us off from talking and we are the CFA, All it takes is for someone to have 1 to many beers or just a smart bum and its on as someone will always be sucked in to a bum fight on the UHF.
As for emergency CHs i have never heard anyone on CH5 so why not talk on it,At least if there are people talking and if someone needs help their would be someone to hear it.
Im glad that people are trying to clean up the UHF airways but i think they are pushing poo up hill as it has been let go for to long and people do what they want but "good luck with it"
If people want a CB that they can trust to get them out of a jam or just a good clean chat then they should be looking at a ham/Amicher radio...;)

How long has that UHF web site been going,Never heard of it my self....

Last edited:

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Don't be sorry mate,Im just telling it the way it is.If you are trying to clean up the UHF then i would start by SHUTTIND DOWN CH 3 reaper,It will help a small bit but with all the UHF handhelds getting around today you will never clean it up to what it was in the old days.I rang the RIs once and it was going to cost me big $$ to get them out "no thanks,cheaper to turn it off". I have been around CBs from the age of 10 and now im 34 so its been a long time,Im not trying to make things harder,I love my CBs talking all over the world and take my hobby very seriously.
Not many UHF users know the laws let alone obey them"so good luck with that".Truck drivers and even 4x4ers,cars get board on the road so they pick up the mic and act a fool to kill time"good luck in stopping them"as they are hard to find when on the move.
Even country UHF users cop it,EG CH 1 in my area get the odd fool trying to cut us off from talking and we are the CFA, All it takes is for someone to have 1 to many beers or just a smart bum and its on as someone will always be sucked in to a bum fight on the UHF.
As for emergency CHs i have never heard anyone on CH5 so why not talk on it,At least if there are people talking and if someone needs help their would be someone to hear it.
Im glad that people are trying to clean up the UHF airways but i think they are pushing poo up hill as it has been let go for to long and people do what they want but "good luck with it"
If people want a CB that they can trust to get them out of a jam or just a good clean chat then they should be looking at a ham/Amicher radio...;)

How long has that UHF web site been going,Never heard of it my self....

Spot on mate, unless you're bush with mates wheeling, it's pointless having it on in Melbourne with the amount of dickheads out there highjacking the airwaves.

frosty

Spot on mate, unless you're bush with mates wheeling, it's pointless having it on in Melbourne with the amount of dickheads out there highjacking the airwaves.

Or any city, Regional or metro. I can't turn mine on when the kids are in the car and use 40. The language is shockin!! I'll only use mine when by myself or on a 4by trip with mates.

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Or any city, Regional or metro. I can't turn mine on when the kids are in the car and use 40. The language is shockin!! I'll only use mine when by myself or on a 4by trip with mates.

Agreed there Frosty, channel 40 is a no-no if the bride or young ones are aboard.
I don't understand what those clowns get out of behaving like that, maybe it's an
advance on small man syndrome.

Pure Yobbo

Agreed there Frosty, channel 40 is a no-no if the bride or young ones are aboard.
I don't understand what those clowns get out of behaving like that, maybe it's an
advance on small man syndrome.

I always have it on when travelling once I am out of the cities. It's a great tool to find out what is happening on the roads - supose that just comes from drining trucks for a little while.

spoon88

hmm

It should be interesting to see what happens when the new UHF system gets brought online... I agree with Pure Yobbo though, even with all the idiots on there, it's a fantastic piece of kit, and can really get you out of a tight spot, if you know how to use it properly.

Also, on a slightly off-topic note, they're thinking of changing the marine VHF radios to a class license, identical to that of UHF... Bit of a shame really, the VHF system works really well, with enforced call channels etc. Should be interesting to see what happens there

UHFCB

It is used by farmers to send simple commands to remote equipment to do things like turn on water pumps to water stock ect

Yota

Behaviour

We had the same thing over this way after years and years of complaints Spectrum management finally got off their arse and prosecuted a few people. Channel six repeater was the worst but to show how dumb these idiots were, most were creating the problems from base installations and not mobile. The RI's not only got them for swearing and other behaviour issues but the two worst culprits were running 150 and two hundred watt linear amplifiers.
After having their equipment seized and having a day in court they probably learn't a lesson.
Now when you turn channel six on behaviour is so much better.
We had a guy here about two years ago with the same problems and no he was not a teenager but may have been suffering some kind of mid life crisis. Every night the same thing would start first arguing then swearing.
Once again the guy was not mobile but using a base rig. After several months of listening three guys from one of the cb clubs using yagi's were able to get his location and on making further enquires were able to find out who he was.
One night in the middle of one of his rants one of my mates called him by name and asked him if he was still living at the same address (giving the address on the radio) That put a stop to this guys behaviour instantly, He was probably expecting a visit from some of the people he had pissed off for weeks afterwards. It is very easy to be brave hiding behind a microphone where you can abuse and insult people and have no repercussions but when your identity is actually found out and transmitted over the airwaves you then have a very real possibility that someone may come around and give you a facial reconstruction.
Mobile operators are however a little more difficult (but not impossible) to track down.

Last edited:

HJ75 Rob

ok, moving on a bit, now we have the 80 ch radioes being used, also the old 40ch units as well, there are some possible problems until all 40 ch are junked. As I see it the two are not compatible ie. Poor comms between them as the transmit and receive frequencys are slightly different . This could cause some safety concerns in the bush with the different radioes.
please correct me on this if I am wrong.
When legally do the 40 ch have to be switched off permanently.?
For some of us the changeover is expensive as we have them in tractors, utes and our 4x4s as well as some hand helds, this will be a big bill!

Cheers
Rob