What tyres are you running?

LCV8VICTORIA

Have you ever been yellow stickered for tyres?

I’m heading to tas and want to run 35” tyres and rear diff locked
315/75/16

Currently run 265/75/16 but there to small.

Albynsw

I tend to agree, how ever I've not ran 35s. And to be fair, I'm yet to need them.

Yes I have yet to need them either
I would only get a set for the mongrel look it gives them
Might try a set when I get the remap and brake booster done
@LCV8VICTORIA quite often 35’s cause clutch slipping so factor $$ for a new HD one into the equation

LCV8VICTORIA

And you're worried the increased diameter exceeds your home states legal allowance? Also what makes you think the 265s are too small?
Used to run 265 on mi old lux they worked well with the Front IFS
With the soild front axle I want to get it off the ground higher as getting hung up
Heading to tas and heard there is a fair amount of mud

phs

I was running 35s and 33s on my 79 V8td
35s make a big difference to braking and power.

Gearing in low first is still low enough and it brings down the Fwy RPMs

Having upgraded the brakes and tuned the motor I found it ok.

With Std brakes I would not be keen, even with 33s the brakes are average.
Std power it would be very noticable.

Also worth paying attention to the rims and wheels nuts you are using. These 70s have been known to loose wheels from poor rim quality/ wheel nuts and incorrect torque.

mac_man_luke

Also worth paying attention to the rims and wheels nuts you are using. These 70s have been known to loose wheels from poor rim quality/ wheel nuts and incorrect torque.

Id agree with that, if your going to run 35s a brake booster upgrade is a must.

LCV8VICTORIA

Thanks for that write up
So defffs need brake booster,HD clutch and good quality wheel nuts

smitty_r51

Just a fyi, i did most of tasmania including the west coast famous five and had no issues with mud, in fact the only mud that was a problem was the weld river track which to be honest i wouldn't bother with and i shoild have driven around...and this was in an ifs,irs pathfinder running 265/75r16..so clearance factor zero...what are you expecting to find?

LCV8VICTORIA

Just a fyi, i did most of tasmania including the west coast famous five and had no issues with mud, in fact the only mud that was a problem was the weld river track which to be honest i wouldn't bother with and i shoild have driven around...and this was in an ifs,irs pathfinder running 265/75r16..so clearance factor zero...what are you expecting to find?
Thanks smitty
That’s what I wanted to hear makes it’s good to hear that you can do most that tracks down there in 265
Only reason I was thinking mud because I have watched YouTube footage from down there but if you say there’s no mud sweet as thanks
What was your favourite tracks?
And fav camping spots?
I’m heading there in Feb, heard it’s awesome
Do you have any pics from your trip?

smitty_r51

Report is on here under tassie trips mate. Favourite track was climies...awesome technical track

Thrre is mud but from my experience you will have to go loking for it and then decide to drive into it for the hell of it

2luxes

Thanks for that write up
So defffs need brake booster,HD clutch and good quality wheel nuts

You are really guessing when you do things like that. Larger diameter wheels apply more leverage to the brakes. The usual thing is to install larger discs and calipers. A bigger booster is just going to press the standard pads a little harder onto the standard discs. That could create a lot more heat and make them fade. That means no brakes.

A HD clutch also comes with its own set of problems. I have seen clutch pedals snap off because of the extra pressure that has to be applied to them to operate the heavier clutch.

I have also seen many badly worn engine crankshaft thrust bearings. Every time you put your foot on the clutch pedal, you are pushing the crankshaft forward onto its thrust bearing. The harder the springs in the clutch, the harder the shaft presses against the bearing and the faster it wears.

The car already has good quality wheel studs and nuts but oversize wheels will apply a lot more leverage to them in corners. That is one reason why many break. The wheel bearings are also overloaded.

You can then run into major insurance problems if you have an accident that can be contributed to illegal modifications.

mac_man_luke

You are really guessing when you do things like that. Larger diameter wheels apply more leverage to the brakes. The usual thing is to install larger discs and calipers. A bigger booster is just going to press the standard pads a little harder onto the standard discs. That could create a lot more heat and make them fade. That means no brakes.
Very standard modification offered by multiple brake companies, Basically brings the boost assist up to what most other cars are, upgraded unit is basically a unit off another toyota - nothing special. Brakes calipers and discs themselves are actually quite beefy.

A HD clutch also comes with its own set of problems. I have seen clutch pedals snap off because of the extra pressure that has to be applied to them to operate the heavier clutch.
I have also seen many badly worn engine crankshaft thrust bearings. Every time you put your foot on the clutch pedal, you are pushing the crankshaft forward onto its thrust bearing. The harder the springs in the clutch, the harder the shaft presses against the bearing and the faster it wears.
Again standard upgrade on a 70, factory clutches are very poor and lots have issues. Recommended NPC clutch actually has lighter pedal feel than standard but more clamping force.

The car already has good quality wheel studs and nuts but oversize wheels will apply a lot more leverage to them in corners. That is one reason why many break. The wheel bearings are also overloaded.
Standard wheel nuts are good but they are a washer style centering nut which does not suit most aftermarket wheel and then you can often end up with cheap nasty aftermarket nuts.

LCV8VICTORIA

Report is on here under tassie trips mate. Favourite track was climies...awesome technical track

Thrre is mud but from my experience you will have to go loking for it and then decide to drive into it for the hell of it

Thanks I’ll check it out

Swaggie

These days you can buy a HD Clutch with a matched Slave to help with the above...

phs

Don't think HD clutchs in VDJ70s make a difference to peddle weight.
Though there is known issue of low speed hunting and roll over noise.

As for Tassi, we found a some mud, and more water than I have ever seen

37585895356_c7327ba098_z.jpg

37634448261_dd9ba91150_z.jpg

36957030264_5d373bfa0b_z.jpg

We had a mate running 32" tyres on a ranger with open rear diff it was fine, only had to be winched once so dunno how important 35s are for Tassi

The biggest concern is the sand / beach run they can be hard, tyre pressures are the key especially for big heavy cruisers !

I was running them at 8-14psi

Last edited:

LCV8VICTORIA

Don't think HD clutchs in VDJ70s make a difference to peddle weight.
Though there is known issue of low speed hunting and roll over noise.

As for Tassi, we found a some mud, and more water than I have ever seen

37585895356_c7327ba098_z.jpg

37634448261_dd9ba91150_z.jpg

36957030264_5d373bfa0b_z.jpg

We had a mate running 32" tyres on a ranger with open rear diff it was fine, only had to be winched once so dunno how important 35s are for Tassi

The biggest concern is the sand / beach run they can be hard, tyre pressures are the key especially for big heavy cruisers !

I was running them at 8-14psi
Yeah, thanks heaps
Those photos look like it’s fun