What type of GPS?

shinysideUP

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
Hi all, just wanted to get some opinions on what type of GPS I should get for my birthday.
Never had one before so dont know much about them.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Andrew

gone bush

G'day Andrew, you need to ask a few questions first, like what purpose do you want it for, car or hand held? Obviously for bush tracks, but do you want it for use on the black stuff as well?

If you are wanting an in car gps for bush tracks I would suggest something that would run OziExplorer or the like so then you can add your own detailed maps of certain area's.

Have a read through the gps section of the forum and see what others are using. Also have a look at this site GPS Australia .:GPS Australia:. if you really want to be left scratching your head.:D
I believe now there is a 'dongle' that can be plugged into your laptop which can then be used as gps, but don't know much about it.

Never an easy choice, after some research you will find what you are after. I run a cheap chineese gps with Igo8 and Ozi loaded on it, a good mapping garmin handheld and with the great tools we have now like google earth etc and of course the trusty paper maps and compass I will always find my way there and back.
Not much help, but something for you to have a think about.

Cheers

shinysideUP

Thanks Gone Bush. Hope your feet aren't getting wet up there in Horsham.
I would like one for the bush aswell as around town. In car would be prefered I think but someone might let me know the pros and cons of that.

Big Matt

The VMS used to be the one to go, but recently ive been told the Hema Navigator is a better option for off road and on road
Ozi on a laptop with a GPS Dongle is the way ill be going though although the Hema has Ozi i believe
Im going lappie for other reasons as well though

PM me for more info if ya like

mattyj

garmin 1490t from jb hifi $333 inc topo maps

and i got a lot more software for it to if you buy one

ARCSTAR

I have ozi on a 10"netbook with dongle and 7" touch screenall up cot me about 600 bucks way cheaper than a hema and does way more too

Agent 13

^^^^^ like arcstar says, thats the go, netbook with gps hooked up and Ozi running. Those chinese all in one GPS screens running CE are tempting but the odds of getting adodgy one might be a bit high.

shinysideUP

OK... so I've outlayed $400 on a Netbook.
GPS Dongle. - $40-$50
What's next? What software do I buy and how much?
Sorry guys... I'm a bit of a dumb arse when it come this sought of stuff. A shopping list is what I'm after ;). Tell me what to get and I'll go out and get it. Thanks

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
You can buy a Netbook at Harvey Norman's for around $200.
GPS USB or Bluetooth dongle
OziExplorer
Maps

This setup is good for the bush. I would purchase a Garmin GPS for the road

GPS Guru

I have a set up with a mount that I have the laptop mounted on. I use a Garmin GPS 16 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=170&pID=175) mounted on a pole on the rear of the GU. This feeds into the laptop via USB (with a serial to USB connection) as well as into the Codan HF. I run Ozi, Memory Map and NSW Topoview, although I converted the NSW Topoview maps into Ozi as Topoview and Vista have a love/hate relationship. The maps that I have are Vicmaps (the same ones the emergency services use), Meridian, MM Victoria and Austour and the Rooftop maps. I have a stand at the 4WD show at Wandin on the 20th and I'll have the setup there if anyone wants a look. I can supply the full setup if needed (except fitment of the GPS).

Croozer

GPS Guru...... Earth will have a stand at Wandin. shinnysideUP should be on the stand with us so we will get over and say hi.

Cheers Croozer

jaws63

im in the same position im looking at the navman my75t but i havent seen one in use and not shore if this will do the job has anyone got one or have some idea if there any good
i use a garmin hand held unit now and it works ok but the screen is small and its a little complicated
cheers

shinysideUP

I have a set up with a mount that I have the laptop mounted on. I use a Garmin GPS 16 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=170&pID=175) mounted on a pole on the rear of the GU. This feeds into the laptop via USB (with a serial to USB connection) as well as into the Codan HF. I run Ozi, Memory Map and NSW Topoview, although I converted the NSW Topoview maps into Ozi as Topoview and Vista have a love/hate relationship. The maps that I have are Vicmaps (the same ones the emergency services use), Meridian, MM Victoria and Austour and the Rooftop maps. I have a stand at the 4WD show at Wandin on the 20th and I'll have the setup there if anyone wants a look. I can supply the full setup if needed (except fitment of the GPS).

Hey GPS Guru, How much for the Garmin GPS 16?

GPS Guru

I'm happy to do them for 4x4 Earth members for $125.00. If you want it delivered, there is an additional $16.50 postage. The unit comes with an RJ-45 connection. This looks a bit like a wide telephone plug. Therefore it won't work on a laptop. Peter James from Lara Electronics (Lara Electronics » Home) changed it to a serial connection then I used a serial to USB lead (which I can supply for $32.00). Peter will be on my stand at the 4WD show and can answer all the techo type questions. I also got a stand made up that bolts on to the HF mount. The cable feeds down through the stand and out the bottom then into the door. You could probably even screw it on to your roof too. If you want a GPS 16X, email me at sales@handheldsystems.com.au as I can order some in especially for the show so you don't have to pay postage. I will require a deposit of $50.00 though. I can also supply the car cradle for $180.00. It's of a very good quality and is the one that I use. If you want one of them, let me know as I will have to order some more in. A deposit is required there too.
Another alternative that I will also have at the show which is a bit cheaper is the Transystem GM2 GPS mouse for $50.00. I'll have one of them running on a laptop. On the laptops I'll have running Memory Map, Spatial Vision's Vicmap and NSW Topoview. I'll have all the mapping for sale as well as Oziexplorer, Vicmap books, Spatial Vision 4WD maps, Hema Navigators, Hema map books, Find Me Spot, PLB's and the Funtrek 130 GPS. The fellas from Hema will be there at some stage too.

Swaggie

Do not overlook the Magellan Aus Topo...For the High Country and all surrounding areas its one of the best out there....

micksgq

i look forward to the wandin show as i have been looking for gps maps for a few weeks now i'm wanting to find a way i can get them on a sd card to go into my garmin nuvi hope i can get some help with it there

Agent 13

somethng like that, just plug straight into laptop and away ye go. Cheap option. I still rekon for the price its handy to have a Garmin Etrex H or similar. Can make waypoints quick and easy, press of a button, and can take it out of the car and go for a walk if need be without worryinf about gettin lost. I have done this when you get to the end of a track and theres a dubious track to a lookout or something; just plot a couple of waypoints on the computer, upload to gps and it will guide you to them.
GARMIN ETREX H HANDHELD GPS RECEIVER ? BRAND NEW ? (eBay item 110641395263 end time 07-Feb-11 11:36:09 AEDST) : Electronics
GARMIN etrex H - Power + data cable ecombo - USB (eBay item 120672962658 end time 16-Feb-11 21:52:05 AEDST) : Electronics

You will possibly do better than this if you go to Johnny Appleseed GPS in Melbourtne Johnny Appleseed GPS - Your Garmin GPS and TomTom GPS shop for GPS Australia!