Change background image

What to buy?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Taz89, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

Hello everyone!
    I am taz, Italian chef living in Perth. Want to buy my first ever 4we and need some suggestion.
    My budget is around 20k $ and maybe few thousand more for mods and repairs.
    I want to get a 4wd because me and my partner want to get a year off and travel around Australia for 1 year, obviously want to get the 4x4 few months before and get some experience before to set off for the road trip. I would like to keep the car for 5 year +. I had a look online and Toyota has the best reputation I really like the prado, found few prado's diesel auto for between 20k/27k $ but lots km between 250k 300 + trying to stick with the engine d4d after 2007. Is worth to spend that much of money for that many km? Is the engine before the d4d still good enough?
    Had a look to the Nissan patrol but apparently is quiet heavy and fuel consumption no the best. Is patrol a good buy? If yes what year should I look for? Any other suggestion ?
    Thanks everyone!

2. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

The 120 Prado is a good car. Just make sure it’s had then injectors changed as they had earlier problems. Also, get the oil pick up cleaned on your first service.

All new common rail engines are noisey

Then enjoy. Good to go traveling. Factory fitted fit 180 litres fuel tank

Taz89 likes this.
  3. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Regardless of what you look at keep in mind items like fuel carrying capacity, bull bars etc that you may want as they can be quite expensive to buy later and push your budget past where you want to be if not factored in

Taz89 and Swaggie like this.
  4. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

You’ll get something like an rc dmax/Colorado in much better condition and fit out spec at that price point. Lower kms, same aisin gearboxes and an arguably better and more reliable 3.0 engine in the 4jj1. A $20k prado is not what I’d be looking for unless it was grandma’s and you are getting it cheap. I drove the RC all over this country including Simpson crossings with a couple of plastic jerry cans in the tray.

Taz89 likes this.
  5. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

You beat me to it Al.... Well said

Albynsw likes this.
  6. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Fuel consumption for my 2005 3.0 Lt Patrol is around 10 - 12 L per 100 km`s, depending on the driving conditions. With the 125 litre fuel capacity of the main/sub tanks I get around 1000 km before the fuel light comes on. The models before 2005 were prone to engines blowing up due to over-boosting problems.
    You should be able to pick one up for around the money you want to spend. Yes they are heavy & the motor is under powered for the size of the vehicle but they will go just about anywhere without any mods. Mine is still pretty standard, only thing I`ve done is a 2 inch lift.
    I`ve done 200,000 km`s in mine since I bought it(300,000 on it in total) & have had no major issues with it & still drives the same as the day I bought it.

Whatever you buy I hope you enjoy your travels.

Taz89 likes this.
  7. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

You could get a Pajero with way lower kilometres for that money. Pretty capable, good on fuel and bullet proof.

Taz89, cam04 and Albynsw like this.
  8. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

G'day Taz, welcome to earth mate, first off what car you get depends on what you want to do with it, are you going to tow with it ? do you intend on doing dirt road/highway type roads ? do you want to do hard tracks ? what sort of load will you be carrying ? etc. - if your going to more remote areas, diesel is more available than petrol, recovery gear is a must (and knowing how to use it). If your going for a year, I'm guessing you'll be carrying a fair bit of gear so the GVM will have to be considered, as will the suspension. There are a lot of good 4x4's around these days, so work out what you want the car to do, then go from there, generally speaking Toyota or Nissan are the top two choices but pajero and land rover would be worth considering also, good luck with whatever you choose, and enjoy your travels.

9. phs

phs Well-Known Member

GU PATROL
    Fairly robust a few 3lt mods to make it more
    Reliable

120 Petrol Prado
    Great motor fuel consumption between 11-15epr 100 bring the petrol variant it's a lot more affordable

10. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

Thanks you all for the replies !
    not planing to tow anything will carry most of the stuff for camping and recovery gears in the boot (thinking to set up drawers and fridge in the back).
    manly will use the car for touring, love fishing so will drive on the beach, don't think to do anything crazy for the beginning.
    what do you mean for GVM??

thanks for the tips.i will have a better look for the patrol.
    Is there any other issues with patrol after the 2005 year? what should i make sure to check before to buy?

Thanks
    Taz

11. 2002GU3

Hi Taz, the GVM is (gross vehicle mass), it means the most your car can weigh when loaded - if your GVM is say 3,200 kg and your car weighs 2,300 kg, that means you can only carry 900kg, that includes all the people in the car, all the fuel, all your camping gear, recovery gear, water, tools, any accessories like bulbar, winch, plus the ball weight of anything you tow.............also the patrols after 2005 are all o.k ...... the ones from 1998-2004 are o.k. if they have NADS fitted. (Nissan Anti Detonation System) they have ---catch can, EGR blocked, dawes needle and valve, boost guage, bigger exhaust.......( the problems with Nissan only apply to the ZD30 engine -3.0 litre diesel ) if you get an early model patrol it is better to get one with NADS.......but not all patrols blow up, I have 2002 model 3.0 litre I have most NADS on mine ( no dawes needle and valve ) and I have owned it for 3 years, been to Queensland at least a dozen times, Victoria high country, Canberra and lots of trips in NSW and has 265000 k's and still going good.

Taz89 likes this.
  12. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

One problem that I have heard about is cracks in the upper rear spring towers, mainly caused by overloading. Might be worth checking them if looking at a Patrol.

Taz89 likes this.
  13. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

Hi everyone its again me!
    I found this patrol 2008 diesel auto st 135xxx km for 23k $ maybe can get down to 22k $ I will attach a link of the car. Apparently hasn't been used for towing the last 2 1/2 year and hasn't been out off roaring much. What do you suggest I should make sure to check before I buy? Is this a good deal? Any suggestion ?
    This is the car below :
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pert...aign=socialbuttonsVIP&utm_content=app_android

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond to me

14. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

I would get everything tested. I wouldn’t force a zd30 on an enemy much less a nice person asking for advice.

15. shaun0

shaun0 Active Member

Why dont you look at 80 series Landcruisers you could get one fully setup with every thing for that money and a lot less.

16. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

what do you mean? Is this a bad truck?

17. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Google zd30 problems.

18. Taz89

Taz89 New Member

hey cam04! Did my research about it before and apparently the bad ones of the zd30's are the one between 2000 to 2006, it is true that those ones have problems to the engine and have thousands of bad review should I not trust even the ones after those year? This patrol is 2008.
    hi Shaun I did search for landcruiser but I need an auto because me and my partner will share the drive around Australia and she is not comfortable with a manual also I found lots of petrol and I believe they will be really expensive to run and many of them with my budget are over 300/400k km

19. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

The later 3.0l Patrols are better and less likely to grenade but still under powered for the size and weight of 4wd but if your not towing would be OK.
    If I was looking at 20 g tourer my thought process would be, Toyota to much for high km cars, Patrol crap engines, Land Rover to much unknown for that sort of coin.
    I would be looking at a MUX or the like if your touring, if you want a solid 4wd to get well off the black top, toss a coin because they all have good and bad so go and test drive a few different cars before you decide.
    I say that because I spent months doing research and budgeting to build my dream tourer and decided on a 79, then I drove a couple and bought a Discovery 4 which is by far the best car I have owned and for heaps less coin is 10 times the car a modified 79 will ever be.
    My opinion only so no one get their nickers in a knot

20. 2002GU3

Taz, if you get a patrol, for the money your spending you could get a really good one with a 4.2 diesel engine. they are very reliable, have plenty of power and will get you just about anywhere you want to go....