what to buy in a clutch

BILLBY

gearing up for next years big trip and decided to do the clutch over the xmas break seeing how busy it gets down here ,so the question is what makes a good clutch for my ride.

it is 12ht landruiser and I do have some gear in it, on it ,and under it ,no towing but I do have big rubber .and the prices vary from $299 to $727 that I have found so far ,now there is no way a 300 clutch is going in and a 700 doesnt seem to bad if I say it quickly .

What should I be looking for, or does the money =quaility thing mean something here ?

:cool:

BOUNCY HJ61

Go The 60's

I'm Watching This One Bilby, As Will Probably Be Doing Mine Soon Too!
Have Heard Some Good Things About Terrain Tamer? And Tuff Clutch? Another One.
Cheers Michael

Last edited:

BILLBY

4terrian

bought a extra heavy duty clutch from my local selbys dealer.

Cost me $560 which wasnt more much more than anywhere else in town for a supposed equivalent ,but what sold me was the customer service . They followed up with my additional enquires and at 530pm,the time when I was relaxing with a pale ale after work.

It was suggested that I bring the fly wheel for machining I thought it looked okay but I removed it again and sure enough looked prety rough ,had it out earlier and check the rear main seal (not leaking) nice .It was a stepped flywheel could have cost me 75 but only charged 44 and the rear uni cost 50 to instal that I purchased for 35 .

overall took about 5hours allup though I f i charged like a mechanic best part of 500 big ones

the machining was to help due to hot spots and I did have some shudder when the truck was cold .

Nice again to have the pedal at the floor ,no shudder and feels better than a worn but not fully used exedy .

did the whole fitting myself and I can see why it has been 20 odd years since the last 1 a little fiddly doing it by myself so there is hope for those willing to give to go .

thats a major off the list only 102 days before we head out to do the french line and say good bye to good friends at lamberts

:cool:

Last edited:

Traveller

4x4 Earth Contributer
My mechanic put in a Safari Tuff Clutch for my GU. The flywheel got machined too to be on the safe side, better off doing it that way and get any hard to get to bits done at the same time- rear main seal etc.
Jok

Phantom66

Guys, my 80 series was done on Thursday by Everything 4WD in Cranbourne.

I had a leaking front right seal and the gearbox main seal was leaking.

The gearbox came out and I asked them to check the clutch, 310000 klm.

2mm left on clutch face and flywheel needed machining.
Replacement Clutch, Exceedy Heavy duty at $700 but with a new spigot $20 , flywheel machine at $55 all the rest was labour, clutch is lighter than the original and will go another 300000.

8hrs work and Im happy, they are good blokes down there :)
blew my tyre replacement budget but :(

muc the truck

Guys, my 80 series was done on Thursday by Everything 4WD in Cranbourne.

I had a leaking front right seal and the gearbox main seal was leaking.

The gearbox came out and I asked them to check the clutch, 310000 klm.

2mm left on clutch face and flywheel needed machining.
Replacement Clutch, Exceedy Heavy duty at $700 but with a new spigot $20 , flywheel machine at $55 all the rest was labour, clutch is lighter than the original and will go another 300000.

8hrs work and Im happy, they are good blokes down there :)
blew my tyre replacement budget but :(

Most of the time when a gearbox input shaft leaks its due to input bearings being worn. a new seal often is a tempory fix. I hope it dosnt start leaking again for you.