What the ****

Colly18

Reminds me of a situation I recall from back in the early 2000's. I'll keep the location anonymous.
An outback community quite reliant on tourism, was keen to have a 70 km road from the highway to the town sealed. "It will be great for the locals and more tourists will come", seemed to be the thinking. So local government seals the road. End result = less tourism dollars into the town. You see, previously (with the bad, corrugated, gravel road tourists would take a good while to get to the town and weren't too keen to return straight away, so would stay overnight. With the new sealed road they could nick in, have a good look around and get out all in the one day trip; much to the dismay of the couple local accommodation businesses.
I guess the moral of the story is "be careful what you wish for!?"

greysrigging

Won't upset the locals, nor the miners, nor the transport companies who service the region.... the road is an 'effin' disgrace ! Hard on machinery, and often closed in the Wet. Sometimes the Tanami and Granites Gold mines run low on supplies due to road closures.

CTL

Haha, the comments of the tourist from Horsham, Victoria cracked me up. Wonder what he would think if he had to drive a corrugated, dirt road to the local cafe every time he wanted his soy latte? Yep, leave it dirt so he can drive it ONCE IN HIS LIFETIME for the “outback” experience, but stuff the locals. Talk about a privileged twit. Some people have no idea.

greysrigging

I did a bit of a trip on the Bullita Track the other day ( that is until we came upon a road closed sign. ) Rocky, corrugated crappy road. There are a few blackfella communities out that way, passed a low slung Crappydore ute and a Toyota Corolla navigating their way between the washouts and puddles. Isolated Territory roads are hard on vehicles.... the locals do it pretty tough I reckon.

Reactions: CTL

shanegtr

The Tanami is generally not much of a challenge for a 4wd- when I travelled it 4 odd years ago it was just a reasonable well formed gravel road. As the most direct route from NW WA to Alice it gets a reasonable level of truck traffic. Those guys would defiantly benefit the most from sealing it. But I reckon traffic would increase with a seal, especially the grey nomad traffic as there would be a big number who would currently not tow their caravan down there, but would defiantly use the route if it was sealed. From what I've read in the above news articles I think what the Balgo community is doing is great and I hope it works out in their favour

Colly18

The Tanami is generally not much of a challenge........... .But I reckon traffic would increase with a seal, especially the grey nomad traffic as there would be a big number who would currently not tow their caravan down there, but would defiantly use the route if it was sealed. ....................................
I have to agree completely! Seal the Tanami and it will get heaps of traffic, (especially the grey nomads), as a more direct route from down south and Alice to the Kimberley. Maybe Rabbit Flat Roadhouse will reopen? :) The sad thing will be all the extra toilet paper and litter that would soon follow.

Reactions: CTL

Petunia

I am never likely to travel down it, but it should be left as is just for me, alone, incase I do go down it one day?

How dare they take this iconic drive away from ''me me me me''.

What do the locals know? or care? this may affect ''me'' one day?

Tongue in cheek. Totally.:cool:

mikehzz

They can seal the Plenty Hwy as well I reckon. 800 odd kms through cattle country with 750 of it crap corrugations, it sucks. Any road that's just a road, not a 4wd track can be sealed in my opinion.

Rags90mod

Since I'll be travelling up the Tanami in April from Alice to Halls Creek I'm hoping that there hasn't been any roadworks started by then, that way I can traverse it while it's a crappy, corrugated dirt road so I'll appreciate it more when it's sealed when I eventually get to do it again

cam04

Since I'll be travelling up the Tanami in April from Alice to Halls Creek I'm hoping that there hasn't been any roadworks started by then, that way I can traverse it while it's a crappy, corrugated dirt road so I'll appreciate it more when it's sealed when I eventually get to do it again
To put it into perspective, a relative towed a jurgens stargazer along it with a Renault Koleos and it rained half way along. I like a red dirt track as much as any of us, but some of these bigger arterials getting blacktop will open it up more. I must be getting old.